Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Think Secret is reporting that Apple has disbanded its Aperture development team, which leaves Apple's entry into the professional photography market in limbo.In the run-up to Aperture's November release last year, for example, sources report that responsibility for the application's image processing pipeline was taken away from the Aperture team and given to the Shake and Motion team "to fix as best they can."
The article associates many of Aperture's problems with poor application design. Aperture has been met with mixed reviews, with frequent complaints about the software's performance even on high-end Macs and sub-par RAW image handling. Adobe's Lightroom beta has also introduced competitive pressure and has received positive initial reviews, especially when compared to Aperture.

Article Link: Aperture's Iris Closing?

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
this could negatively impact sales, so hopefully they double checked their sources on this story

arn

maveness

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2004
Something's fishy

This story just "smells" wrong to me. I wonder whether this isn't a bogus leak from Apple, still attempting to shut down their Think Secret source.

Danksi

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson, BC. Canada
Since the Motion team's been involved, perhaps it'll become part of Final Cut Studio 6 :eek: :rolleyes:

Sounds like a re-org. The team was broken, needed fixing.

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
Noo, please, I like aperture, and I like its output. I hope they contiue to support and develop it. I really like what they have already done.

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
i've not met someone who's actually used it and said it's a bad interface.

everyone that seems to use it seems to actually genuinely like it.

oh well. but if the shake/motion teams can do better, all well and good.

skidooairman

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2006
Vostok, Antarctica
Good

Aperture is a piece of junk software. I hope that Apple made them all walk out with their pants around their ankles to humiliate them for making such a mess of this app. I did the correct thing by apple, and they screwed me on an app that was simple iPhoto with a bit of extra guts.
Good riddance Aperture folks.:mad:

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I do hope TS is wrong, but if they're right... it may mean bad things for Aperture but GOOD things for certain nice features trickling into iPhoto.

(And if it really IS that bad--not just a few bugs, but bad design to the core--then letting some of those engineers go is probably called for. And letting them go might mean Aperture can become a great thing in NEW hands at Apple. It doesn't have to mean the end of the product.)

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
Yeah, I've heard from friends that Aperture is slow, but interesting and useful. I really hope this is not true.

joepunk

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2004
a profane existence
But, but...

I was all set to finally make a decision to buy it with my student discount before I graduate. Well, I still can but I just can't make the final decision to purchase it. I am such a window shopper.

mcarnes

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2004
USA! USA!
Shucks. They did such a good job advertising it too. I mean, is there anything cooler than those Aperture QT movies on Apple's website? That football guy saying he's not shooting JPEGs anymore, and that bald wedding guy who drank too much coffee. And the fashion guy with the queen amadala chick. Hell, even the intro movies with the british guy saying "metadater" were cool. Raw images are "first class citizens"... Etc.

Oh well. :(

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Me neither. It's not like they're 4th best right now in the market. Lightroom is only in beta right now, and Aperture can be improved upon. It's not THAT big a mess.

But as has been mentioned already, some of the features in Aperture would trickle down to iPhoto since they have already been developed.

Peyton

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2006
Hmm, I've use it, seems like a nice app that does what its advertised for, (btw, its still be advertised on the 17 MBP on Apple.com's front page)

Anyway, I would say the $200 price drop and coupon are big hints, I would like this program to be redone tho, reinvented to be the 'FCP' of the photography world

c-Row

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Germany
joshuawaire said:
Yeah, I've heard from friends that Aperture is slow, but interesting and useful. I really hope this is not true.

Oh, I sure hope it is interesting and useful.

:p

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
Lets all hope that TS is wrong on this one.

I'm hearing a lot of people saying that they have positive experiences with Aperture... anyone use Lightroom? Macworld has seemed to prefer Lightroom to Aperture due to performance and some other things...

skippy64

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2006
North West England
I dont honestly believe that Aperture is going to be remembered as Apple's 'Ford Edsel' of computer software. I'm a hard working pro photographer and in conjunction with a fellow photographer we have been running Aperture and have become convinced that the Application has the potential to mature into an excellent pro photo image editing/previewing piece of kit. We have been more than aware of the poor RAW output at the beginning which to be fair has definetly improved. What I have found most with Aperture is that it has many features bubbling away in all the drop down menus and you really do have be shown at a demo or go out and pay for a training session to get the most out of Aperture.
I find on the whole that photographers tend to think that they can turn their hand to anything and at best can be too tight-fisted to go out and spend some money on proper training, I mean how many on here who use Photoshop have paid for training. I know I haven't but theres many a time I wish I had. Its just pure stubbornness most of the time to go and actually ask to be shown how something can really work.
I want Aperture to stay and I'm sure the story is just a load of bull. BTW I'd like to thank the guys in the Apple store at the Trafford Centre in Manchester for there continuing help/support/basic training that they offer there. I have been in a few times and they have been more than helpful in getting me started into Aperture and before anyone says it, yes I am going to go and attend a full training session so that I can really get into this application:)

portent

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2004
Even if some users consider Aperture to be a useful program, it may be that, from a software-design standpoint, the program is too difficult/expensive to continue developing. Sometimes the facade is pretty, but the foundation is unstable.

I suppose even Apple will yield a dud every once in a while. Apple's had great luck with its software products over the past five years or so; you can't expect everything to be a smash hit.

tmornini

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2002
San Francisco
EricNau said:
This explains perfectly the price drop.

I completely disagree.

If Apple has decided to abandon the project, which will be a PR nightmare, they would want to be selling as few copies NOW as possible.

sjl

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
Ouch.

That has got to bite. Based upon what I read in the Think Secret report, though, I suspect that Apple will almost certainly be working on a re-write with a better internal design, and introduce it as version 2.0.

In any case, the report has caused my attitude towards Aperture to shift: I'm going to be sitting back and waiting to see what happens. If and when version 2.0 comes out, I'll probably snap it up (assuming it runs on my PowerBook; I can't afford a MacBook Pro right now), but until then ... well ... I'm still learning with my camera, so RAW workflow isn't a major concern for me as yet. I'll grant that Aperture doesn't touch the raw images, so it's not like I'd be completely locked in, but still, I'd rather not buy the app until I know for sure that it's going to be here for the long run. If I had to put money on the table, I'd be betting that it is, but there's just enough doubt for me to pause.

artpease

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2004
Seattle
Sour grapes?

This may all be true, however, 1.1 was a pretty quick and welcome step to making it more useable...I just can't help but wonder if there aren't a lot of sour grapes in that article! :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.