Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacRumors News Discussion (archive)

Old Apr 28, 2006, 10:28 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Intel Chip Delivery Moving Up?

http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif

The Inquirer reports on comments by Intel CEO Paul Otellini at the financial analyst's spring meeting.

According to the article, Intel is planning on delivering Woodcrest (server) is due in June, Conroe (desktop) in July, and Merom (mobile) in August. Apple is expected to take advantage of these new processors for upcoming designs.

Beyond these expected updates, Intel is aggressively working towards future architectures:

Quote:
It has large teams working on the next two microarchitectures, he said. Every two years Intel will bring out a new microarchitecture.
This year's processors will start at a 65-nm process and quickly move to 45-nm. All future processors are optimized for performance-per-watt -- one of the features that attracted Apple to Intel's processors.

Of additional interest, Intel also has over 1000 people working on next generation Handheld devices with consumer pricepoints. The goal will be an "always on" architecture consuming only 1/2 of a watt. Apple has no announced plans to again enter the handheld market, but rumors of an Apple tablet or handheld regularly recur.

MacRumors is offline   0
Old Apr 28, 2006, 10:31 AM   #2
TheNightPhoenix
macrumors 6502

Come on I want a new desktop!! Preferably with Woodcrest for all my rendering needs.
TheNightPhoenix is offline   0
Old Apr 28, 2006, 10:33 AM   #3
4God
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrumors
......Intel is planning on delivering Woodcrest (server) is due in June, Conroe (desktop) in July, and Merom (mobile) in August. Apple is expected to take advantage of these new processors for upcoming designs.

Beyond these expected updates, Intel is aggressively working towards future architectures:

Could this mean the release of an Intel PowerMac this summer? It would be great to see Rev. A and B hit stores by the end of this year.
4God is offline   0
Old Apr 28, 2006, 10:35 AM   #4
Kingsly
macrumors 68040

Imagine... a 45nm Intel core quad in the 2007 MBP's!!!
Kingsly is offline   0
Old Apr 28, 2006, 10:35 AM   #5
jared_kipe
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to jared_kipe
I'll proabably get a low end intel Powermac (Macintosh?) when they come out. Don't really care which processor, as long as its wicked fast.
jared_kipe is offline   0
Old Apr 28, 2006, 10:37 AM   #6
ImNoSuperMan
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsly
WOW. But wudn`t that make my new MBP so obsolete...

Wait..... I dont have a MBP.
ImNoSuperMan is offline   0
Old Apr 28, 2006, 10:44 AM   #7
twoodcc
macrumors P6

Send a message via AIM to twoodcc Send a message via MSN to twoodcc
Quote:
i just can't imagine
twoodcc is offline   0
Old Apr 28, 2006, 10:44 AM   #8
ImNoSuperMan
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrumors
According to the article, Intel is planning on delivering Woodcrest (server) is due in June, Conroe (desktop) in July, and Merom (mobile) in August.
Now I was thinking why not release the processors in reverse order. ie Merom in June,Conroe in July, Wood in Aug. Actually dont even care bout Conroe n Woodcrest. Lets get the Meroms ASAP in the MBP.
ImNoSuperMan is offline   0
Old Apr 28, 2006, 10:46 AM   #9
7on
macrumors 601

doesn't change my plans to buy a 13" Macbook when they come out. Integrated graphics may delay me more though. Here's hoping that the $1500 level MB doesn't have integratedness
Old Apr 28, 2006, 10:46 AM   #10
neutrino23
macrumors 65816

This is why I still use a PowerBook 100. Every time I decide to buy something word comes of something much better just a little ways off in the future.
neutrino23 is offline   0
Old Apr 28, 2006, 10:47 AM   #11
twoodcc
macrumors P6

Send a message via AIM to twoodcc Send a message via MSN to twoodcc
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino23
This is why I still use a PowerBook 100. Every time I decide to buy something word comes of something much better just a little ways off in the future.
well then you'll just miss out on all the fun
twoodcc is offline   0
Old Apr 28, 2006, 10:50 AM   #12
MIDI_EVIL
macrumors 65816

Do you really think that we'll have Intel PowerMac's / MacPro's in June?

I need to work more hours!!!

Rich.
Old Apr 28, 2006, 10:52 AM   #13
Grimace
macrumors 68040

thanks for writing 'recur' instead of 'reoccur' -- that's my one grammatical pet peeve.
Grimace is offline   0
Old Apr 28, 2006, 10:54 AM   #14
nagromme
macrumors G4

I'd love to see a Woodcrest uber-tower added to make a new highest-end "workstation" model in June... with the current G5 towers lingering a little longer until Conroe can replace them.

But me WANTING woodcrest won't make it happen--and won't make it remotely affordable--so instead I'll just be glad that Conroe itself keeps moving earlier

Intel should really take it easy on us. All this "early" nonsense is very hard to take after being used to IBM and Motorola.
nagromme is offline   0
Old Apr 28, 2006, 10:55 AM   #15
danielwsmithee
macrumors 6502a

Market

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikas soni
Now I was thinking why not release the processors in reverse order. ie Merom in June,Conroe in July, Wood in Aug. Actually dont even care bout Conroe n Woodcrest. Lets get the Meroms ASAP in the MBP.
I beleive they chose the launch date primarily based upone competition. Currently Intel is loosing market share in the server market like crazy due to AMD's Opeteron offerings. The decision to release in this order makes a lot o sense for Intel. It is probably not ideal for Apple because people would buy Merom machines sooner then new workstation due to the lack of Adobe apps. In the end Intel is still going to do what is best for it's own interests.
danielwsmithee is offline   0
Old Apr 28, 2006, 10:59 AM   #16
danielwsmithee
macrumors 6502a

Too Fast

Quote:
Intel's roadmap is pretty clear through the end 2007 and they have not said anything yet about a 4-core mobile processor. The MBP will be limited to two cores until the middle of 2008 is my guess.
danielwsmithee is offline   0
Old Apr 28, 2006, 10:59 AM   #17
IJ Reilly
macrumors P6

Conroe, Merom and Woodcrest.... finally, Intel is releasing an SUV, a compact sedan and a station wagon. They've been out of that market for far too long.
Old Apr 28, 2006, 11:01 AM   #18
andiwm2003
macrumors 601

does anybody see what that means? new micro architecture every two years. that means totally new macs every two years with significant upgrades every 6-12 month. not like 5 years with the G4. that also means used macs will drop in price faster, machines may be outdated sooner. and on top of that new processors are actually available. on time. or even early. in quantity. o.k. I need to calm down. i'm hyperventilating.

but seriuosly, this will change the mac landscape and the time we keep our macs a lot.
andiwm2003 is offline   0
Old Apr 28, 2006, 11:02 AM   #19
sillycybin
macrumors member

Location: Chicago suburb so close to Wisconsin that i can smell the cheese and sausage.
thumbs down!!

what a load of junk. i was hoping to get the new 2.2 Ghz yonahs next summer (2007) when i will be ready to make a purchase.

this quick pathway to chip advancement makes me feel all uncomfortable inside. i was way more into the static bumps in speed like in the previous decade of Mac computers.

wtf is going on here
Old Apr 28, 2006, 11:03 AM   #20
starnox
macrumors 6502

Is woodcrest 65nm or 45?
starnox is offline   0
Old Apr 28, 2006, 11:04 AM   #21
MattyP
macrumors member

pin compatibility

I wonder if they will be pin compatible with the core dou chips... It would be great to update our intel imac with a 64 bit Merom chip!
Old Apr 28, 2006, 11:04 AM   #22
bigbossbmb
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to bigbossbmb
Quote:
I can't wait...I'm replacing my 12" next year and this would be the thing to do it....hell, it might beat my g5 by then!
Old Apr 28, 2006, 11:04 AM   #23
Lollypop
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to Lollypop Send a message via MSN to Lollypop Send a message via Yahoo to Lollypop Send a message via Skype™ to Lollypop
I think this is good news, the dates and the order is perfect! This way we will know very soon if woodcrest will go into the mac pro or not. And the new iMacs wont be out of date before the laptops recieve a upgrade. We can also see if the new intel achitecture is what its suppose to be or not.

On the other hand it also results in a longer waiting time for the imac and mac mini users before they can upgrade their machines to meron.. but then apple wont mind!
Old Apr 28, 2006, 11:06 AM   #24
amberashby
macrumors 6502

Must resist buying a Macbook Pro till Merom.... Must resist....must resist...
amberashby is offline   0
Old Apr 28, 2006, 11:07 AM   #25
Multimedia
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Multimedia Send a message via Yahoo to Multimedia Send a message via Skype™ to Multimedia
Hard To Comprehend Half Watt Devices

How Dey Do Dat? I read that article that someone posted the link to last night before retiring this morning. And I thought to myself, how can anything run on a HALF WATT?
Multimedia is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacRumors News Discussion (archive)