Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Inquirer reports on comments by Intel CEO Paul Otellini at the financial analyst's spring meeting.

According to the article, Intel is planning on delivering Woodcrest (server) is due in June, Conroe (desktop) in July, and Merom (mobile) in August. Apple is expected to take advantage of these new processors for upcoming designs.

Beyond these expected updates, Intel is aggressively working towards future architectures:

It has large teams working on the next two microarchitectures, he said. Every two years Intel will bring out a new microarchitecture.

This year's processors will start at a 65-nm process and quickly move to 45-nm. All future processors are optimized for performance-per-watt -- one of the features that attracted Apple to Intel's processors.

Of additional interest, Intel also has over 1000 people working on next generation Handheld devices with consumer pricepoints. The goal will be an "always on" architecture consuming only 1/2 of a watt. Apple has no announced plans to again enter the handheld market, but rumors of an Apple tablet or handheld regularly recur.

4God

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2005
My Mac
Macrumors said:
......Intel is planning on delivering Woodcrest (server) is due in June, Conroe (desktop) in July, and Merom (mobile) in August. Apple is expected to take advantage of these new processors for upcoming designs.

Beyond these expected updates, Intel is aggressively working towards future architectures:

Could this mean the release of an Intel PowerMac this summer? It would be great to see Rev. A and B hit stores by the end of this year. :D

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
I'll proabably get a low end intel Powermac (Macintosh?) when they come out. Don't really care which processor, as long as its wicked fast.

ImNoSuperMan

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2005
Macrumors said:
According to the article, Intel is planning on delivering Woodcrest (server) is due in June, Conroe (desktop) in July, and Merom (mobile) in August.

Now I was thinking why not release the processors in reverse order. ie Merom in June,Conroe in July, Wood in Aug. Actually dont even care bout Conroe n Woodcrest. Lets get the Meroms ASAP in the MBP.

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
doesn't change my plans to buy a 13" Macbook when they come out. Integrated graphics may delay me more though. Here's hoping that the $1500 level MB doesn't have integratedness :eek:

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
This is why I still use a PowerBook 100. Every time I decide to buy something word comes of something much better just a little ways off in the future.
:eek:

MIDI_EVIL

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2006
UK
Do you really think that we'll have Intel PowerMac's / MacPro's in June?

I need to work more hours!!!

Rich.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I'd love to see a Woodcrest uber-tower added to make a new highest-end "workstation" model in June... with the current G5 towers lingering a little longer until Conroe can replace them.

But me WANTING woodcrest won't make it happen--and won't make it remotely affordable--so instead I'll just be glad that Conroe itself keeps moving earlier :)

Intel should really take it easy on us. All this "early" nonsense is very hard to take after being used to IBM and Motorola.

danielwsmithee

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2005
Market

vikas soni said:
Now I was thinking why not release the processors in reverse order. ie Merom in June,Conroe in July, Wood in Aug. Actually dont even care bout Conroe n Woodcrest. Lets get the Meroms ASAP in the MBP.
I beleive they chose the launch date primarily based upone competition. Currently Intel is loosing market share in the server market like crazy due to AMD's Opeteron offerings. The decision to release in this order makes a lot o sense for Intel. It is probably not ideal for Apple because people would buy Merom machines sooner then new workstation due to the lack of Adobe apps. In the end Intel is still going to do what is best for it's own interests.

danielwsmithee

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2005
Too Fast

Kingsly said:
Imagine... a 45nm Intel core quad in the 2007 MBP's!!!
Intel's roadmap is pretty clear through the end 2007 and they have not said anything yet about a 4-core mobile processor. The MBP will be limited to two cores until the middle of 2008 is my guess.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Conroe, Merom and Woodcrest.... finally, Intel is releasing an SUV, a compact sedan and a station wagon. They've been out of that market for far too long.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
does anybody see what that means? new micro architecture every two years. that means totally new macs every two years with significant upgrades every 6-12 month. not like 5 years with the G4. that also means used macs will drop in price faster, machines may be outdated sooner. and on top of that new processors are actually available. on time. or even early. in quantity. o.k. I need to calm down. i'm hyperventilating.

but seriuosly, this will change the mac landscape and the time we keep our macs a lot.

thumbs down!!

what a load of junk. i was hoping to get the new 2.2 Ghz yonahs next summer (2007) when i will be ready to make a purchase.

this quick pathway to chip advancement makes me feel all uncomfortable inside. i was way more into the static bumps in speed like in the previous decade of Mac computers.

wtf is going on here

MattyP

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2005
San Francisco
pin compatibility

I wonder if they will be pin compatible with the core dou chips... It would be great to update our intel imac with a 64 bit Merom chip!

Lollypop

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2004
Johannesburg, South Africa
I think this is good news, the dates and the order is perfect! This way we will know very soon if woodcrest will go into the mac pro or not. And the new iMacs wont be out of date before the laptops recieve a upgrade. We can also see if the new intel achitecture is what its suppose to be or not.

On the other hand it also results in a longer waiting time for the imac and mac mini users before they can upgrade their machines to meron.. but then apple wont mind!

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
Hard To Comprehend Half Watt Devices

How Dey Do Dat? I read that article that someone posted the link to last night before retiring this morning. And I thought to myself, how can anything run on a HALF WATT? :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.