Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AJ Muni

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 4, 2005
Miami
Is there anyway I can create a folder/smart folder that can be password protected?

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Yes.

Applications->Utilities->Disk Utility.

Click the New Image icon.

Set a name, choose a size, pick AES-128 encrypted read/write disk image.

When prompted, enter and verify your password but do not keep the "Remember password" option checked (as is the default) - doing so will allow anyone who gets to your desktop to open the folder without entering a password.

Edit: this creates a disk image (dmg file), which you then have to open, so it isn't a folder as you requested but does get the job done. Sorry - posted an answer before thoroughly reading your request. Is this good enough?

AJ Muni

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 4, 2005
Miami
jsw said:
Yes.

Applications->Utilities->Disk Utility.

Click the New Image icon.

Set a name, choose a size, pick AES-128 encrypted read/write disk image.

When prompted, enter and verify your password but do not keep the "Remember password" option checked (as is the default) - doing so will allow anyone who gets to your desktop to open the folder without entering a password.

Edit: this creates a disk image (dmg file), which you then have to open, so it isn't a folder as you requested but does get the job done. Sorry - posted an answer before thoroughly reading your request. Is this good enough?

Thank you very much, It was EXACTLY what I was seeking.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Additional hint: If you choose a sparse image instead of regular disk image, it will just take up more space than the contents (plus a bit for overhead). You still have to set an upper limit, but unlike a disk image (that will take up all that space no matter how much you put into it) the sparse image will save you some space... :)

Works exactly like described by jsw above...

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
Additional hint: If you choose a sparse image instead of regular disk image...
Excellent! I'd forgotten all about that! I use a number of such folders now on my work laptop - in case it's stolen - and the size reduction will be very helpful.

HughJ

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2006
Norwich UK
there is also some software made by Apimac, that will create an invisble folder..thats accessed by a password too

kinnyboy

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2004
Im going to try this too. One question though. Would this new password protected disk image be able to have its contents seen by the Finder and/or Spotlight? What i mean is, although someone cant actually access the disk image without the password, could they, by a search in Spotlight, see what's in it?

im probably just being stupid here!!!

khisayruou

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2004
kinnyboy said:
Im going to try this too. One question though. Would this new password protected disk image be able to have its contents seen by the Finder and/or Spotlight? What i mean is, although someone cant actually access the disk image without the password, could they, by a search in Spotlight, see what's in it?

im probably just being stupid here!!!

If the image is opened, then the contents are fair game for spotlight/finder.
The contents will also be listed on "open recent" menu on apps if they were
accessed. But once you eject the image, the contents are no longer available
for spotlight/finder or the "open recent" menu.

So, your ok, just eject the image when your not using it.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
actually cant you just add it to the not search list in the Spotlight Prefs if you don't want it searched through ever?

khisayruou

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2004
PlaceofDis said:
actually cant you just add it to the not search list in the Spotlight Prefs if you don't want it searched through ever?

Spotlight won't add the image into the privacy list.

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
I had done this with my website files and one day I tried to open it and it didn't work. Said it was unreadable.

Was great until then though.

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
khisayruou said:
Spotlight won't add the image into the privacy list.
Until you mount the image, it's just another file to Spotlight. It only searches volumes, and a disk image only qualifies as a volume when it's mounted.

Jopling

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2004
More Complicated way

If you make a new folder and go to get info and you make it so your user only has write privileges or no privileges then give admin read and write privileges and everyone else no access, you won't be able to view the contents unless you go back in, click the lock enter the password and switch it to read and write.

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
I also have a few encrypted .dmgs... but I managed to not uncheck the password saving box. Is there a way to unenable password saving, after it's been made? I can't figure it out..

I don't wanna have to go back through and make new ones, just so I can uncheck the box. :rolleyes:

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
katie ta achoo said:
Is there a way to unenable password saving, after it's been made? I can't figure it out..
I haven't tried this, but I guess you should find the password in your keychain, and be able to delete it from there using Keychain Access...

Edit: Just tried this with a test.sparseimage and I found the password and was able to delete it... now, if I could just find the sparseimage to try to open it... :) :p

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
I haven't tried this, but I guess you should find the password in your keychain, and be able to delete it from there using Keychain Access...

Edit: Just tried this with a test.sparseimage and I found the password and was able to delete it... now, if I could just find the sparseimage to try to open it... :) :p

Awesome! Thanks!

My government secrets are safe again. :p :rolleyes:

®îçhå®?

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2006
You could have just set up an account with certain priveleges so that access was not allowed into certain folders

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
HughJ said:
there is also some software made by Apimac, that will create an invisble folder..thats accessed by a password too

AKA "Secret Folder"

This software simply hides a folder by adding a . to the beginning of the folder's name. It's not actually password protecting it.
The only password "protection" is in opening the app to "unhide" your folder.
There's no security here at all.
It can easily be circumvented by anyone who can use Terminal.app and Google.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.