Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Apr 28, 2006, 09:35 PM   #1
livingfortoday
macrumors 68030

iTunes import problems (ID3 info lost)

So, I imported a bunch of CD's through iTunes about a month ago, and saved them to my iTunes library folder on my Mini's hard drive. I recently bought a new external hard drive that I moved my whole library to, but all the songs I recently imported will not transfer with the ID3 info. Is there any way to fix this? I can't relabel all these MP3's, it'd be easier to just re-import them, but that'd take hours! Anyone have any idea why this is happening?
Old Apr 28, 2006, 09:43 PM   #2
mad jew
Moderator emeritus

What version ID3 tag do these tracks have? Also, do you still have them labelled correctly on the mini? If so, try converting their ID3 tags to version two or later using the Advanced menu.
Old Apr 28, 2006, 09:46 PM   #3
livingfortoday
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad jew
What version ID3 tag do these tracks have? Also, do you still have them labelled correctly on the mini? If so, try converting their ID3 tags to version two or later using the Advanced menu.
They are still labeled correctly on the Mini. It says the ID3 tags are version 2.2.
Old Apr 28, 2006, 09:52 PM   #4
mad jew
Moderator emeritus

Try converting them to 2.3 or something. I don't understand why 2.2 isn't working for you (that's what mine are too), but maybe the process of converting the tag will help.
Old Apr 28, 2006, 10:00 PM   #5
livingfortoday
macrumors 68030

Ok, I converted them to 2.4, and it still won't work. Let me outline exactly what I'm doing, maybe I'm doing something wrong.

1. I moved all these files into a folder onto my desktop, so that I could know which ones needed to be imported into the main library I have (the Mini only had some songs since I was waiting for the big hard drive to arrive).
2. I tried simply dragging and dropping them into iTunes, and when the tags didn't copy, I tried doing the whole "Import" selection in the menu, and the tags still didn't copy over.

So... what am I doing wrong?
Old Apr 28, 2006, 10:14 PM   #6
mad jew
Moderator emeritus

You're not doing anything wrong. iTunes is notoriously picky when it comes to tags, however you imported these through iTunes so who knows why it's being such an asshat™ for you.

I don't know how to help you other than to say maybe try converting the tags again. Perhaps even use a third party app. I haven't used any myself, but VersionTracker has an abundance of them.

Also, try this with just one song. Convert it to MP3 (or whatever you have your importing preferences set at) using the Advanced menu and see if this new file is keeping its ID3 tag.
Old Apr 28, 2006, 10:43 PM   #7
livingfortoday
macrumors 68030

Ah, nothing seems to work, and three programs I've tried all tell me there is no file info on the ID3 tags. Screw it, I guess I'll just have to reimport them. Thanks for your help, though.
Old Apr 28, 2006, 10:50 PM   #8
mad jew
Moderator emeritus

No worries. I really can't think what's wrong here. Usually if iTunes doesn't recognise a tag it's because the tag was written by another app (WinAmp's the biggest culprit), but iTunes wrote these tags herself.

Ahh well.
Old Apr 29, 2006, 10:05 AM   #9
tonywalker23
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to tonywalker23
thats really weird, id try a few searches on google and the apple help boards before giving up yet, unless you just really want to import the cd's again.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store