Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

R.Youden

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 1, 2005
Hi everyone. One thing that I enjoy doing is taking photographs at Aquariums but I also find it very frustrating to get a good photo. One thing that I have found really helpful is the addition of a rubber lens hood on the Canon 300D which cancels out any reflection on the glass. I don’t think this is the primary purpose of these lenses but it works really well. I have also tried taking some photos with my Sony P200 PandS and a couple of the results are shown below.

Does anyone else take a lot of photos at aquariums and how do you get on. Any sample photos and tips would be great.
DSC00086_1.jpg

DSC00088.jpg

simie

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2004
Sitting
Here are a few that I took - I must admit that they are not very good but feel free to comment.

Attachments

• IMG_6096.jpg
    IMG_6096.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_5961.jpg
    IMG_5961.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_5942.jpg
    IMG_5942.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 147

R.Youden

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 1, 2005
They look really cool. Where are they taken? It looks like Bristol Zoo in the UK to me but that would be really sad if I am right!

simie

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2004
Sitting
R.Youden said:
They look really cool. Where are they taken? It looks like Bristol Zoo in the UK to me but that would be really sad if I am right!

Sorry but you are really sad because it was at Bristol Zoo.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Getting the shot wasn't so difficult. She almost posed for me. However, getting into the water tank inconspicuously was a tad difficult.

Attachments

• IMG_0286.jpg
    IMG_0286.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 180

R.Youden

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 1, 2005
simie said:
Sorry but you are really sad because it was at Bristol Zoo.

What is even worse is that I could probably give you that name of the seal depending upon when the photo was taken!

simie

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2004
Sitting
Here is another one. The other photo was taken on 15/8/2005

Attachments

• IMG_6124.jpg
    IMG_6124.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 151

thedude110

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2005
Here's a horrid picture of a puffer fish from the Mystic Aquarium.

We did everything we could think of to make it puff. But, I guess the woman and I aren't that scary ...

puffer.jpg

R.Youden

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 1, 2005
thedude110 said:
Here's a horrid picture of a puffer fish from the Mystic Aquarium.

We did everything we could think of to make it puff. But, I guess the woman and I aren't that scary ...

View attachment 46149

This is the sort of photo that I wanted to see on here. I imagine that it was taken with a P&S which decided to autofocus but not on the fish! Still a great photo but if someone knows how to get these in focus it would make life so much better. Thanks.

thedude110

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2005
You're welcome! It did indeed auto focus, but not on the fish.

We also got this great auto focus picture.

I think it was supposed to be a beluga whale surfacing.

chaos.jpg

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
R.Youden said:
Hi everyone. One thing that I enjoy doing is taking photographs at Aquariums but I also find it very frustrating to get a good photo. One thing that I have found really helpful is the addition of a rubber lens hood on the Canon 300D which cancels out any reflection on the glass. I don’t think this is the primary purpose of these lenses but it works really well. I have also tried taking some photos with my Sony P200 PandS and a couple of the results are shown below.

Does anyone else take a lot of photos at aquariums and how do you get on. Any sample photos and tips would be great.

Thanks for a great thread.

Like the images you posted. Attached are a few of mine from SF last summer. Been meaning to get to the National Aquarium in Baltimore for years. Looks like a short road trip is in order.

I had forgotten about the flexibility of a rubber lenshood over the rigid one (no pun intended).

Attachments

• _MG_0922 web.jpg
    _MG_0922 web.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 184
  • _MG_1154 web.jpg
    _MG_1154 web.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 171
  • _MG_1150_1 web.jpg
    _MG_1150_1 web.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 159

erickkoch

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2003
Kalifornia
Here's a pic of some Jellyfish I took a few years ago in Las Vegas. They were in a tank with "Blue Light" which made them glow. It doesn't come through very well in the picture (crappy point and shot camera) but they were mesmerizing, sort of like watching a living lava lamp.

Attachments

• IMG_0864.jpg
    IMG_0864.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 173

thedude110

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2005
Chip NoVaMac said:
Overall, what do you think of the place? Mystic is not far from my relatives place in CT, might want to stop by on my overdue visit.

I think it's a great, small aquarium. We spent about 4 hours wandering, staring at penguins and trying to not step on small children.

It really was a lot more fun than I've made it sound.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
erickkoch said:
Here's a pic of some Jellyfish I took a few years ago in Las Vegas. They were in a tank with "Blue Light" which made them glow. It doesn't come through very well in the picture (crappy point and shot camera) but they were mesmerizing, sort of like watching a living lava lamp.

Love the possibilities I see in this image from a "crappy point and shot camera". Here is an example of what I mean. I posted the first image over on the Macro thread. The second image is the actual basis for the final image.

Attachments

• penn contest4_web.jpg
    penn contest4_web.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 143
  • _MG_0760web.jpg
    _MG_0760web.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 158

R.Youden

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 1, 2005
Chip NoVaMac said:
Thanks for a great thread.

Like the images you posted. Attached are a few of mine from SF last summer. Been meaning to get to the National Aquarium in Baltimore for years. Looks like a short road trip is in order.

I had forgotten about the flexibility of a rubber lenshood over the rigid one (no pun intended).

I love the third picture you posted. That would make a great desktop. Was that taken in Macro mode?

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
R.Youden said:
I love the third picture you posted. That would make a great desktop. Was that taken in Macro mode?

It was taken with the 17-40L Canon lens IIRC with the lens with the hard hood pressed against the glass. I assume that you mean the sepia toned one. :)

R.Youden

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 1, 2005
simie said:
Here is another one. The other photo was taken on 15/8/2005

That seal was Clara, she was a very old seal who unfortunately died last year. Probably only a week or so after you took that photo.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Not exactly aquarium photos, but got these at the National Zoo in DC. I am going up to Baltimore one day next week and am hoping to have time enough to go through the aquarium there and do some shooting. I've heard that idea about using a rubber lens hood and it sounds like something to try.... A polarizing filter on the lens can also help in certain situations.

67118605-L.jpg

64334027-L.jpg

Both taken with Nikon D200 and Nikon 18-200mm VR lens

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
erickkoch said:

Oh cool, I luuuurve jellyfish!

thedude110 said:
We also got this great auto focus picture.

Did you actually get a shot of the whale......"surfaced"?? :confused:

Blong

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
R.Youden said:

Nice shots - I really like the second one with the lights in the background.

Even though I've only been to the aquarium once, I thought I might show some shots anyway. My shots are a bit different. All lensbaby shots. Looking through this thread, I think a recurring issue is focus - whether the autofocus locks on properly or not. The lensbaby is totally manual focus, so maybe trying to turn off autofocus might be one hot tip.

The attched shots are all taken at the Melbourne Aquarium. The sting rays came out that way due to 1600 ISO, however, 1600 isn't always that grainy, so I don't know what happened there.

The jellies are taken with a macro attachment at the front of the lensbaby.

thedude110 said:

:D

Chip NoVaMac said:

I like the first and last shots you posted best. I particularly like No. 2 - nice.

Cool.

Rob

Attachments

• blue_6983.jpg
    blue_6983.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 154
  • brown_nettle_6968.jpg
    brown_nettle_6968.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 138
  • jelly_6955.jpg
    jelly_6955.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 125
  • nemo_marlin_6884.jpg
    nemo_marlin_6884.jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 149
  • sting_rays_6829.jpg
    sting_rays_6829.jpg
    224.3 KB · Views: 137

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
^^I like your shots the best.

I think most people who go to the aquarium just use a simple point and shoot, and so rely on autofocus for their shots. There are ways to get things in focus, but whatever. As long as you like them, they're good.

R.Youden

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 1, 2005
Blong said:
Nice shots - I really like the second one with the lights in the background.

Even though I've only been to the aquarium once, I thought I might show some shots anyway. My shots are a bit different. All lensbaby shots. Looking through this thread, I think a recurring issue is focus - whether the autofocus locks on properly or not. The lensbaby is totally manual focus, so maybe trying to turn off autofocus might be one hot tip.

The attched shots are all taken at the Melbourne Aquarium. The sting rays came out that way due to 1600 ISO, however, 1600 isn't always that grainy, so I don't know what happened there.

The jellies are taken with a macro attachment at the front of the lensbaby.

:D

I like the first and last shots you posted best. I particularly like No. 2 - nice.

Cool.

Rob

I love your clown fish. Or as ever damn kid at aquariums says now "Look mummy Nemo, Nemo mummy look!" :D

-hh

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2001
NJ Highlands, Earth
I took these at Monterey, CA Aquarium back in 2003. Based on my numbering code, these were digitized from 35mm film:

jelly1%20_030215.1-12_.jpg

This one was maybe 4"-6" in diameter and a bit over a foot long.

jelly2%20_030215.1-15_a.jpg

This one was closer to a foot in diameter and 3'-4' long.

In both circumstances, credit goes to the Aquarium as much as (if not more) than the photographer: the tank was well-lit and the observer's room was dark, which made it very condusive to not needing flash and not having any background reflections on the glass between the camera and the water. As such, the aquarium's glass isn't obvious or visible.

-hh

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.