Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

calebjohnston

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 24, 2006
I need a sturdy, but cheap desk that's made to fit into the corner of a room. Anyone have any suggestions?

zim

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2002
IKEA has some great work desks. I have been looking at them off and on but my only issue is that the room is a bit "nicer" then the desk... so I am still searching for something not so industrial feeling in the leg department. I have gone to IKEA and sat at these desks and they do feel nice. Currently I have an old table, large enough for my iMac, tablet, and if I want scanner, and would like to find a second old table so that I can create an "L" formation.

Deviges

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2012
When you buy a new corner desk, you should not simply purchase the first one you see. Desks are long term purchases. Therefore, there is a chance you can easily start to hate your desk if it does not suit your needs. In this article, we examine five factors you should definitely consider when you decide on purchasing a new desk.

Consider how much space you need for work space. Nothing is more annoying than not having enough space to place your computer, documents, and stationary tools in one go. Corner desks are great for space maximization purposes because they reduce the amount of redundant space underneath the desk. You should also place special consideration on the weight. Unless you intend to bring in a friend or two to help, you will have a very tedious process of assembling a corner desk on your own. Desk material is really heavy so make sure you have this factor in mind before purchasing a corner desk

monokakata

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Ithaca, NY
Are you in a position to build it yourself? I've done it a couple of times, but the cheap-and-easy way requires screwing 1x2 strips to the wall -- if you're a renter, then that's probably impossible.

If you can fasten it to the wall, you don't need to worry about legs -- legs are tricky things if you don't have woodworking experience.

I use 3/4" maple (or other hardwood veneer), faced with 1x2 of the same wood.

You don't have to be a woodworker, although unless somebody does the finishing for you, you do have to sand and finish.

The lumberyard can make the big cuts for you.

And you can make the work surface as big as you want, within reason.

If this interests you, PM me and I'll send some pictures.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.