Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Adam Chase

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 8, 2005
Does everyone here always eject there ipod before disconnecting? I try to most of the time but theem im in a rush for school i just yank her out. What do you think would happen with not ejecting to often?

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
it can ruin the HD if it is in the middle of something or just cause the iPod to freeze.

I always eject my iPod no matter how much of a hurry i am in.

BlizzardBomb

macrumors 68030
Jun 15, 2005
England
Most people will tell you it won't do any damage if it's not writing anything at the time. But there's always that risk that it just might do some damage.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
I'm sometimes tempted to turn off disk mode just not to have to eject the bugger, I like the simplicity of my wife's iPod mini. Plug it in, wait, unplug at will.

B

GilGrissom

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2005
BlizzardBomb said:
Most people will tell you it won't do any damage if it's not writing anything at the time. But there's always that risk that it just might do some damage.
Indeed. I agree.

I've done it once or twice (accidently at times, when it simply wouldn't seem to eject, or it looked like it had ejected but when I removed it OS X moaned).

Most of the time it's fine, though it has froze on me a few time when I don't eject it, as eva01 said.

Electro Funk

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2005
The Opium Garden
i did it once with my 60gig and when i got in the car it said there was no music on the pod! there was around 40gigs... then iTunes wouldnt recogize it either... had to reformat the drive through disc utility... was fine after that...

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
The iPod has moving parts, so I'd say it is a bad idea to pull it out without properly ejecting it.

For a Flash based iPod I wouldn't worry too much.

andysmith

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2004
West Mids, UK
I only enable disk mode when I need it, so I have the convenience of just pulling it out whenever.

GimmeSlack12 said:
The iPod has moving parts, so I'd say it is a bad idea to pull it out without properly ejecting it.

For a Flash based iPod I wouldn't worry too much.
It's nothing to do with moving parts - if data's being written to it at the time you disconnect it, you've still got as much chance of corrupting the filesystem.

rye9

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2005
New York (not NYC)
So when you "Enable Disk mode" on an iPod, all you have to do to eject it is click the symbol next to the iPod "menu" on the left side of the iTunes window, right? Just the extra half a second step?

Revlimit Punk

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2006
Italy
The worse thing that can happen to you if you don't "safely eject" your iPod is locking it up and damage the data stored on it.
No physical damage is done to it though, formatting the iPod will make it work as good as new.

GilGrissom

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2005
andysmith said:
It's nothing to do with moving parts - if data's being written to it at the time you disconnect it, you've still got as much chance of corrupting the filesystem.

GimmeSlack12 said:
No, it has something to do with moving parts.
I'm thinking you're both right. Data transfer will be a big part of it, but I'm sure there is also an extra risk with a spinning hard drive when compared to flash memory, maybe not as much, but I'm guessing there is at least a small chance of something there.

But ye, not putting it into disk mode is great. I love the ease of my girlfriends shuffle.

revenuee

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2003
i didn't correctly eject my Firewire drive for several weeks and at the end of it all it had so many bad sectors that no amount of Disk Utility, Disk Rescue, Disk Warrior, or any other hard drive repair/recovery software i ran against it could save the wedding video i had on it.

Moral of the story for me was to ALWAYS eject

sam10685

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2006
Portland, OR
my brother has a 5th gen... he usually ejects it but when he's on the way out the door, he just yoinks it. it seems fine. i tried to disable disk use in itunnes preferences but the box is greyed out and i can't disable it. what can i do? i don't even know how disk use works.

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
sam10685 said:
my brother has a 5th gen... he usually ejects it but when he's on the way out the door, he just yoinks it. it seems fine. i tried to disable disk use in itunnes preferences but the box is greyed out and i can't disable it. what can i do? i don't even know how disk use works.
Delete all files on the iPod from the Finder, then try again. It won't let you disable disc use until you don't have any need for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.