Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crush7

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2001
Germany, Heilbronn
well, here is one thing that is truly needed. Apple Works 6 has been around since, say, the french revolution. It needs work like a 75' Chevy.

Whats badly needed:

import of pictures into works does not work so well. Images always need rezising and the output quality is unacceptable.

Apple works should be able to work together with office like keynote does with Powerpoint.
And it should be considerably cheaper than office, just to drive the message home.

And finally: Writing and drawing are part of my life. But not (yet) of my iLife.

Centris 650

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2002
Near Charleston, SC
I'm expecting great things from Appleworks. It's a good program now as it is but still could be better. Personally I wish they would get rid of the paint, spreadsheet, database, presentation stuff in appleworks. It's a bother and takes up valueable hd space. (Especially the presentation tool. Now that Keynote is out who needs AW's weak presentation app?)

lardlad

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2003
There is no doubt somthing is coming in the way of an office app from Apple. I'd be very happy if it was as soon as April.

If Keynote is a sign of what we can expect from the next AppleWorks (do you think they might re-name it?) I definatly think you can sell your Office X on eBay. On the other hand if it is too good you may have a hard time selling it.:D

macmanpro

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2001
Apple Works (Unlike Microsoft)

One thing I would like to see back in Apple Works is the fonts menu actually displaying fonts as the would appear! It was there back in Claris Works Office but has disappeared since and I for one really miss it!

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
Originally posted by Centris 650
Personally I wish they would get rid of the paint, spreadsheet, database, presentation stuff in appleworks. It's a bother and takes up valueable hd space.

That's why they call it Apple "Works" because it has all the different areas and they are well integrated. If you took away the database, spreadsheet, drawing, painting and presentation, then all you would have is a word processor. I have used the spreadsheet, database, drawing, painting, and word processing. I agree with Keynote the presentation tool can go, but I would hope they keep the form factor with the rest of the program. It is a versatile program.

Of course I will still say Excel rocks and MS Office v.X is a good program even though M$ made it. Even if there is a new Appleworks I won't be deleting Office off of my computer. It just works so nice and smooth with all the PC's at school.

pyrotoaster

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2002
Oak Park, IL
I never liked Claris Works, and I find Apple Works 6 to be very upsetting.
I'd rather see Appple release a new app or apps (like "Document," described by Macwhispers), but if Apple could really, really improve AW into a fully OS integrated cocoa app, I'd be happy (Neither AW 5 or 6 came close to this).

Until then, it's Thinkfree Office for me! ;)

jaredbkt

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2002
"One thing I would like to see back in Apple Works is the fonts menu actually displaying fonts as the would appear! It was there back in Claris Works Office but has disappeared since and I for one really miss it!"

You can do that very easily. In the preferences just tell AppleWorks to use the actual fonts in the font menu. It's been there since the first incarnation of version 6. In fact, I have it set like that right now. Perhaps you need to explore the application a little?

X-Baz

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2002
Leeds, England
Originally posted by Centris 650
Personally I wish they would get rid of the paint, spreadsheet, database, presentation stuff in appleworks. It's a bother and takes up valueable hd space. (Especially the presentation tool. Now that Keynote is out who needs AW's weak presentation app?)
That's exactly why I use AppleWorks - as a word processor it's not brilliant - but the fact that I can easily include all the other stuff is very useful to me. However, I do agree that the presentation stuff is very weak in AW (and I've not seen KeyNote).

Qball

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2003
Originally posted by Abercrombieboy

Of course I will still say Excel rocks and MS Office v.X is a good program even though M$ made it. Even if there is a new Appleworks I won't be deleting Office off of my computer. It just works so nice and smooth with all the PC's at school.

Have you ever had a problem with compatibility between PC and Mac versions of Excel? Anyone?

NicoMan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2002
Malmö, Sweden
Originally posted by lardlad
There is no doubt somthing is coming in the way of an office app from Apple. I'd be very happy if it was as soon as April.

If Keynote is a sign of what we can expect from the next AppleWorks (do you think they might re-name it?) I definatly think you can sell your Office X on eBay. On the other hand if it is too good you may have a hard time selling it.:D

If it is anywhere like Keynote, it will be very buggy but will show a lot of potential for the proper final version (Keynote is NOT a final version, as it is, from what I understand...).

NicoMan

jg3

macrumors member
May 3, 2002
Urbana, IL
Originally posted by jaredbkt
In the preferences just tell AppleWorks to use the actual fonts in the font menu. It's been there since the first incarnation of version 6. In fact, I have it set like that right now. Perhaps you need to explore the application a little?

Wow, I can't believe it's been sitting there this whole time. On the downside, AW crashes whenever I set that preference, and it doesn't stick. :\

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
AppleWorks IS in dire needs of an upgrade. However I think I'm looking more forward to the final release of openoffice.org for the Mac. That way I'll be able to use the same office program on my Macs, my XP system, and my Linux systems.

Now what I would really like to see is Claris HomePage reincarnated! It is the only Classic app that I have left on my Mac.

Xerov

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2003
Nederland
Originally posted by Qball

Have you ever had a problem with compatibility between PC and Mac versions of Excel? Anyone?

No. All M$ Office Apps Work Flawlessly between the Mac and PC.

RBMaraman

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2002
New Albany, IN

I have. I have NEVER been able to open an Excel document created on a PC. Every time I click on the file, I get a message saying the document needs to be converted and then it fills the screen with a bunch of jibberish. And I'm using AppleWorks 6.2.4.

howard

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2002
i hope if they come out with it its great. I'll still be using office though, i love it, especially entourage. I just think its a great program.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Re: Appleworks Update in April?

Originally posted by Macrumors
Spymac suggests that Appleworks will be upgraded in April:

No drastic updates are reported.

Wouldn't it be cool if this program simply imported and manipulated good old MacPaint, MacDraw 1.9, MacDraw II, and MacDraw Pro files so people married to 0X0 systems could upgrade seamlessly to OSX?

I hear (first hand) many organizations have dedicated MacDraw workstations still since no equivelent simple program exists.

Apple, can you hear me? It's your darn file format and nobody else supports it. Save some of us from our desert island you stranded us on.

Rocketman

ncbill

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2002
Better translators, PLEASE!

I have the same problem with both Word and Excel files - I can't open them with AW 6, or save in AW6 in the any of the Word/Excel formats offered and get a file that is readable under Word/Excel on a PC.

I have the MacLinkPlus translators (which haven't been updated in forever either) and they don't do any better of a job translating.

DocDrop is the most useful to me right now (translates Word .doc files to RTF format)

icExcel and icWord are OK.

But we really need better translators - if Apple can do it for Powerpoint (in Keynote) surely they can do it in the next version of Appleworks!

Originally posted by RBMaraman

I have. I have NEVER been able to open an Excel document created on a PC. Every time I click on the file, I get a message saying the document needs to be converted and then it fills the screen with a bunch of jibberish. And I'm using AppleWorks 6.2.4.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
Originally posted by RBMaraman

With Office v.X it is flawless, with Appleworks it is hit and miss especially on Excel files.

yzedf

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2002
Connecticut

YES.

macros

god forbid you have a word document that has a excel piece inserted in there that was created on a PC. if you change it on a Mac, and then read new file on PC, it will be all messed up.

works great for standard files without all the frippy un-necessary stuff. as it should.

RBMaraman

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2002
New Albany, IN
Originally posted by Abercrombieboy

With Office v.X it is flawless, with Appleworks it is hit and miss especially on Excel files.

I used to use AppleWorks all the time. But, my brother got a 17" iMac for Christmas along with Office v.X, so I finally took AppleWorks off my iBook and installed Office v.X. Once Apple gets the bugs worked out of AppleWorks, I'll give it another try. But, for now, Office v.X is just much better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.