Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

albeik

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 1, 2003
Marlborough, MA, USA
New Apple Mac Ad (iMac) ... making fun of PC + Viruses!

Did anyone else see it?

The older man says he's a "PC" while the younger (Justin Long)is a "Mac". One version goes

Mac: "Hello, I'm a Mac"
PC: "And I'm a PC"
Mac: "Oh, hey... iPod, nice."
PC: "Yeah, just a little something to hold my slowjam"
Mac: "Oh ya?"
PC: "And it works so seemlessly with iTunes"
Mac: "You should check out iMovie, iPhoto, iWeb cause they all work like iTunes. You know, iLife. It comes on every Mac"
PC: "i-L-i-f-e. Well, I - I have some very cool apps that are bundled with me"
Mac: "Well, like what?"
PC: "Calculator"
Mac: "That's Cool, anything else?"
PC: "Clock"
Mac: "Sounds like hours of fun... (or at least minutes)"

Another security focused version is described as follows:
The new Mac ad shows two guys standing next to each other in front of a white background. One starts to sneeze and claims he has a virus, he warns the other Man to be careful, the man replies "Oh it's ok I'm a Mac" and they talk back and forth, the man with the tissue sneezing identifies himself as a PC. The infected man sneezes a bit while they chat, then he says "I think I'm going to crash" and falls down. The Mac man stays there and says "Whoops...there yah go."

The ad ends showing an Intel iMac that has an Apple logo on it with the text "Mac".

Apple announced that they were launching a new ad campaign last week at the annual shareholders meeting.

white89gt

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2006
You beat me to it. I was on my way here to start a thread about it.

And yes, it was ***** hillarious!!!

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
Mac vs PC virus ad

Did anyone just see the Mac PC virus ad on Fox network? About how Macs have no viruses compared to PCs?

Central time -6 GMT

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Good timing, I'd say. :eek: :D

Didn't see it, though. I think the Mac-o-lytes will start to fry Apple soon. :D

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
Well the big "deal" about this is that now that it "officially" acknowledged... we'll be proven either:

A)MacOSX is really truthfully secure like we say they are
B)crackers feel intimidated and write viruses for MacOSX

nbs2

macrumors 68030
Mar 31, 2004
A geographical oddity
NOOOOO!!!!!! We just got off the inertia path and turned off the tv about five minutes earlier...(Back to back Simpsons...mmmm). Well, youtube, here I come.

infectbda

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2004
Reminds me so much of the switch ads. I really hope they have another commerical talking about how great OS X is, and not just focusing on Windows is worse stuff.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
I missed it. :( When is Apple going to post it on their site?

Is it possible this commercial was released a day early and was really meant to be released tomorrow (Tues.) along with the new MacBooks? :eek: :D

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Maybe the next ad should have Steve Jobs looking into the camera and saying "I dare anyone to write a virus for Mac OS X! In fact, I double-dare you!"

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
I'm not so sure it's wise to play the no-viruses card, especially since there was one piece of malware just a couple of months ago that a normal user would consider to be a virus.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
7on said:
No mentioning of Apple anywhere. Only "Mac" written on the iMac screen at the end.
Maybe Apple Computer is planning on loosing the lawsuit with Apple Corps and the new company name will be 'Macintosh'.

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
Doctor Q said:
Maybe the next ad should have Steve Jobs looking into the camera and saying "I dare anyone to write a virus for Mac OS X! In fact, I double-dare you!"

haha, that's pretty much how I read the ad.:rolleyes:
I hope not though

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
gekko513 said:
I'm not so sure it's wise to play the no-viruses card, especially since there was one piece of malware just a couple of months ago that a normal user would consider to be a virus.

That was exactly my first thought...

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Doctor Q said:
I was thinking the same thing. I always assumed this was why Apple never advertised not having viruses (they were afraid it would come back and bite them in the ***).

nbs2

macrumors 68030
Mar 31, 2004
A geographical oddity
EricNau said:
Is it possible this commercial was released a day early and was really meant to be released tomorrow (Tues.) along with the new MacBooks? :eek: :D
I doubt it. For Fox to air it during May sweeps during prime time, by mistake? That would mean one really unhappy airtime purchaser who didn't get an ad shown and one unhappy Apple who had an ad aired prematurely (of course, they wouldn't be too upset - especially if their ad airs at the right time tomorrow). That would not end pretty for Fox.

Steve1496

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2004
Just realised I had my TiVo going, and went and watched it. Pretty cool:D

I would put it online, but TivoToGo only works with Windows, so it'd be a hassle.

Steve

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.