Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old May 4, 2006, 01:39 AM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

HP's Wow Factor

Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: HP's Wow Factor
Description:: Hewlett-Packard is unveiling a bold, provocative marketing campaign. But can it back up the new message with equally spiffy products?

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old May 4, 2006, 02:02 AM   #2
truz
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to truz
Hewlett-Packard (HP) is something of the past. Does apple really need to display there old ad on TV again? I think it can burn HP to the ground once again......

I love that sexy blue screen when the HP starts up
http://www.macovation.com/files/ads/...acShootout.mov
truz is offline   0
Old May 4, 2006, 02:04 AM   #3
Superdrive
macrumors 6502a

Aught to be interesting, but a lot of the things discussed in the article lack anything 'cool'. The quickplay feature would be useless on a Mac. Who shuts down their laptop anyways?

I have always liked HP (for PCs) and think they are a respectable company with decent products. It is definitely clear that Carly is not in charge anymore.
Superdrive is offline   0
Old May 4, 2006, 02:09 AM   #4
rockandrule
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by truz
Hewlett-Packard (HP) is something of the past. Does apple really need to display there old ad on TV again? I think it can burn HP to the ground once again......

Cute ad, never seen that one before.
Old May 4, 2006, 02:10 AM   #5
gauchogolfer
macrumors 601

Send a message via AIM to gauchogolfer Send a message via Yahoo to gauchogolfer Send a message via Skype™ to gauchogolfer
Quote:
. Says Roger Kay, president of consultancy Endpoint Technologies, "they're on to something, because nobody else out there is trying to make the whole experience easier for people. I think they'll capture some pretty good buzz."
Umm, Apple, anyone? I think 'making the whole experience easier' is exactly what Macintoshes are all about.
Old May 4, 2006, 02:12 AM   #6
rockandrule
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdrive
I have always liked HP (for PCs) and think they are a respectable company with decent products. It is definitely clear that Carly is not in charge anymore.
I've always had a love for HP products up until my purchase of a PSC 2610 All-in-One. I've really had nothing but problems with the thing. You can't fill the paper tray to it's quoted capacity or it will read that it is empty and after replacing the black ink cartridge it is printing half red and half black, errrrr. I have nothing but love for my Canon iP4000 though. Wonderful printer through and through. Unfortunately, I think HP has gotten a little cheap with their parts, even moving away from having print heads on their cartridges.
Old May 4, 2006, 02:25 AM   #7
Superdrive
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauchogolfer
Umm, Apple, anyone? I think 'making the whole experience easier' is exactly what Macintoshes are all about.
Not to mention we aren't running the same operating system as Dell, eMachines, Gateway, etc. (We can, but don't have to. Our experience is ready out of the box)
Superdrive is offline   0
Old May 4, 2006, 04:10 AM   #8
sunfast
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauchogolfer
Quite. Not something HP has a reputation for. It is, after all, still a PC.
Old May 4, 2006, 05:39 AM   #9
redAPPLE
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by truz

no. brodie was not the difference maker. those audio speakers gave him the headache.
Old May 4, 2006, 05:54 AM   #10
winmacguy
macrumors 68020

Very interesting article. Will be interesting to see how they bring over the 'wow' factor though. Apple is still really the only company that can do that.
Old May 4, 2006, 11:56 AM   #11
narco
macrumors 65816

SO HP has to pay celebrities to use their computers, whereas most celebrities/musicians already own a Mac.

If I had to choose one PC manufacturer to be on top, it'd definitely be HP, I just think they should focus on all their other products rather than their computers.

I would love to see some PC companies bash the Mac in upcoming ads. It's funny how much fear a company with such little market share can generate. It must also be frustrating because most of the time, their problems are in the software.

Fishes,
narco.
narco is offline   0
Old May 4, 2006, 02:28 PM   #12
truz
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to truz
Quote:
Originally Posted by narco
SO HP has to pay celebrities to use their computers, whereas most celebrities/musicians already own a Mac.

If I had to choose one PC manufacturer to be on top, it'd definitely be HP, I just think they should focus on all their other products rather than their computers.

I would love to see some PC companies bash the Mac in upcoming ads. It's funny how much fear a company with such little market share can generate. It must also be frustrating because most of the time, their problems are in the software.

Fishes,
narco.

A Dell has more quality in hardware and performance then an HP does. There drivers and software they install standard is crap. I'm not saying Dell's is not crap either, but a Dell is cheaper then an HP (with coupons) and the quality is better then HP.
truz is offline   0
Old May 4, 2006, 02:36 PM   #13
mkrishnan
Moderator emeritus

I do consider HP's products to be provocative. I was provoked after considering an HP laptop to buy an iBook.

Oh, and I was provoked by their hiring Carly Fiorina to lose all faith in corporate America.
Old May 4, 2006, 02:59 PM   #14
steve_hill4
macrumors 68000

Send a message via ICQ to steve_hill4 Send a message via AIM to steve_hill4 Send a message via MSN to steve_hill4 Send a message via Yahoo to steve_hill4 Send a message via Skype™ to steve_hill4
I would like to see HP or some other PC manufacturer come up with their own iMac, and when I say that, I mean an all-in-one with a good design. I can guarantee you though most consumers will still prefer looking at the iMac, even if they do not buy. There's something about Apple that cries style to the masses.
Old May 4, 2006, 03:11 PM   #15
mkrishnan
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_hill4
I would like to see HP or some other PC manufacturer come up with their own iMac, and when I say that, I mean an all-in-one with a good design. I can guarantee you though most consumers will still prefer looking at the iMac, even if they do not buy. There's something about Apple that cries style to the masses.
I do have to say, though, that Compaq (which, I guess, is now HP too) has designed an all-in-one that I considered stylish and lustworthy, at the time, at least once....
Old May 4, 2006, 03:21 PM   #16
mkaake
macrumors 65816

Well, I do love my hp calculators, but that just gets a look when I mention it to most people...

RPN all the way...
Old May 4, 2006, 03:46 PM   #17
gauchogolfer
macrumors 601

Send a message via AIM to gauchogolfer Send a message via Yahoo to gauchogolfer Send a message via Skype™ to gauchogolfer
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkaake
Well, I do love my hp calculators, but that just gets a look when I mention it to most people...

RPN all the way...
48GX got me through college

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion