Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shamus

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2006
Hey all,
Last night, I decided to try and spice up the look of my Panther OS. Anyway, I found a few theme changer programs, which I have now discovered arent supposed to work with Panther. They are: Iridium, UNO, and SmoothStripes. I downloaded them, and tried installing, but they mostly just said that they only work with Tiger.

But then, I realised that the menubar at the top of the screen had changed to look like the Tiger menubar. And, the metal brush was gone from all apps. Finder stayed the same. But now when i restarted my computer, Finder now has the skin, but the layout has gone wacko! Now I cant see any of my files, and I have no idea how to revert back to what Panther was like before :( . Can someone please help??

Here is a pic of what has happened to Finder:

Attachments

• Picture 2.jpg
    Picture 2.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 78

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
Shamus said:
Hey all,
Last night, I decided to try and spice up the look of my Panther OS. Anyway, I found a few theme changer programs, which I have now discovered arent supposed to work with Panther. They are: Iridium, UNO, and SmoothStripes. I downloaded them, and tried installing, but they mostly just said that they only work with Tiger.

But then, I realised that the menubar at the top of the screen had changed to look like the Tiger menubar. And, the metal brush was gone from all apps. Finder stayed the same. But now when i restarted my computer, Finder now has the skin, but the layout has gone wacko! Now I cant see any of my files, and I have no idea how to revert back to what Panther was like before :( . Can someone please help??

Here is a pic of what has happened to Finder:
insert the panther install disc, and select upgrade. that may or may not work. to be honest, i'd only do that as a last resort.

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
I would think there's usually some way to revert the theme changes using the software, or go apply a new theme that is Panther compatible... Next time, don't install something that says "Tiger Only" on Panther :p Recipe for disaster... Theming for OS X also sucks bigtime..so..

I think ShapeShifter will revert to the original if you disable it.

Short of (not upgrading) but replacing Finder and all the system files that were modified, not sure if there is a way to fix it otherwise. Finder's (and the system's) version number didn't retrogress when the theme was applied...

Shamus

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2006
janey said:
I would think there's usually some way to revert the theme changes using the software, or go apply a new theme that is Panther compatible... Next time, don't install something that says "Tiger Only" on Panther :p Recipe for disaster... Theming for OS X also sucks bigtime..so..

I think ShapeShifter will revert to the original if you disable it.

Short of (not upgrading) but replacing Finder and all the system files that were modified, not sure if there is a way to fix it otherwise. Finder's (and the system's) version number didn't retrogress when the theme was applied...

ShapeShifter worked!

THANK YOU SO MUCH JANEY! :) :) :) :D :) :) :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.