Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old May 5, 2006, 11:04 PM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

Reduce OS X security threats - ignore security software

Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: Reduce OS X security threats - ignore security software
Description:: It may be true, as McAfee says, that from 2003 to 2005 the number of discovered Mac vulnerabilities increased by 228 percent while Windows only saw a 73 percent increase. But that's like saying that in the last decade, deaths caused by choking on ice cream were up by 200 percent while deaths from smoking only went up by ten.

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old May 5, 2006, 11:07 PM   #2
grapes911
Demi-God (Moderator emeritus)

Another deserving article.

Old May 5, 2006, 11:08 PM   #3
DMann
Banned

Vulnerability

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBytes

Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: Reduce OS X security threats - ignore security software
Description:: It may be true, as McAfee says, that from 2003 to 2005 the number of discovered Mac vulnerabilities increased by 228 percent while Windows only saw a 73 percent increase. But that's like saying that in the last decade, deaths caused by choking on ice cream were up by 200 percent while deaths from smoking only went up by ten.

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
The micro kernel and unix-permissions make it really hard for
viruses to thrive.
DMann is offline   0
Old May 5, 2006, 11:27 PM   #4
daneosaur
macrumors newbie

I can't believe that they would make up total b.s. about intel macs being more vulnerable. How is it even slightly possible that processor architecture has any difference in this situation!?
daneosaur is offline   0
Old May 6, 2006, 12:58 AM   #5
greatdevourer
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by daneosaur
I can't believe that they would make up total b.s. about intel macs being more vulnerable. How is it even slightly possible that processor architecture has any difference in this situation!?
A lot. x86/x64 only recently got a security technology that the 68k had! (the ability to determine whether something in RAM is data or code). The arch matters a lot, especially when moving to something that's been lagging securitywise for a long time
greatdevourer is offline   0
Old May 6, 2006, 02:03 AM   #6
bousozoku
Moderator emeritus

It's interesting to me that the Australian authors for ZDNet publish what seem to be anti-Mac security articles and the UK authors seem a bit more even in their sentiment.

Either way, there are exploits and we must be careful but buying software to combat something that almost doesn't exist or doesn't actually exist makes no sense.

Where was McAfee when there were customers who wanted to upgrade from Virex version 6 to Virex version 7? They didn't want to sell anything. Now, they go to the opposite end by trying to scare people into buying from them.
bousozoku is offline   0
Old May 6, 2006, 02:10 AM   #7
Heb1228
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to Heb1228
Someone makes security software for OS X?
Old May 6, 2006, 02:25 AM   #8
auyongtc
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heb1228
Someone makes security software for OS X?
Yeah, they'll go bankrupt before they even get near 10% of ROI
auyongtc is offline   0
Old May 6, 2006, 03:08 AM   #9
Lollypop
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to Lollypop Send a message via MSN to Lollypop Send a message via Yahoo to Lollypop Send a message via Skype™ to Lollypop
I think this is actually a nice little acticle, but very old news. So the mac is 100% perfect security wise, we all know that, all we need is for apple to get of their butts and fix the errors and make the mac comunity aware of how to decently secure OS X.
Old May 6, 2006, 03:52 AM   #10
LxMx
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMann
The micro kernel and unix-permissions make it really hard for
viruses to thrive.
I really don't see how the micro kernel would help anything. If anything, OS X is the least secure of all the *nix OSes. Ahead of Windows, no doubt, but you have to remember that OS X main weaknesses are in all the things that Apple adds on top of the kernel. The Safari "Image of doom"? A WebKit vulnerability which, even months after being revealed, still hasnt been completely fixed.

Microsoft learnt about security the hard way when it made choices that neglected security. It seems that Apple may be falling into that trap too. I have faith though...
LxMx is offline   0
Old May 6, 2006, 04:22 AM   #11
Analog Kid
macrumors 68030

Good article. Nice to see someone finally point out the trash.
Old May 6, 2006, 11:15 AM   #12
tk421
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lollypop
I think this is actually a nice little acticle, but very old news.
It is NOT old news. This is a rebuttal to a very recent claim by McAfee about OS X security. Look at the article's date - May 5th.

This is one of the best articles I've read on Macbytes recently. It's very intelligently put.
tk421 is offline   0
Old May 6, 2006, 11:24 AM   #13
galstaph
macrumors 6502a

McAfee just wants your money.... maybe they'll "hire" a virus designer to custom make the first osx virus... so they can conveniently provide the solution... or maybe I'm just too much of a conspiracy theorist
Old May 6, 2006, 11:26 AM   #14
mkrishnan
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk421
This is one of the best articles I've read on Macbytes recently. It's very intelligently put.
I enjoyed it too... what I'd like to actually see (and about which I'm not completely convinced either way) is if there is any evidence at all that, even on Windows, the solutions that the anti-virus majors peddle have ever been demonstrated to be effective in primary prevention -- that is, actually stop new viruses before they become a problem. I have this suspicion that they're only really good at selling band-aids.... But I'm not totally sold on that idea.

EDIT: I'm actually rather surprised that what galstaph mentioned hasn't happened yet. At least in some legal or quasi-legal variant. I mean, if Sony got into the business of writing and distributing malware....
Old May 6, 2006, 04:29 PM   #15
nagromme
macrumors G4

Great article.

"In fact, if you look down the CERT list of alerts for 2005, the only one that mentions an Apple product by name is one caused by a bug in Symantec's AntiVirus software for the Mac."

Ouch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkrishnan
I have this suspicion that they're only really good at selling band-aids....
Maybe, but if I were a Windows user and got a "cut" despite my other precautions, I'd still find value in a band-aid. Prevention is best, but containment and damage control are also useful.

Last edited by nagromme; May 6, 2006 at 05:46 PM.
nagromme is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion