Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Applespider

macrumors G4
Original poster
If you've got a 'Water' shot that was taken outside the May 2006 Assignment thread period (6-31 May 06), post it here.

Just so there's something in here, here's a watery picture taken last November in Monterey - obviously a little too 'into the sun' but when you're there for a short time, there's not a lot you can do... ;) but I do like the pattern the outgoing waves make.

Attachments

• water.jpg
    water.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 289

simie

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2004
Sitting
Here is a picture that I took last year of some water droplets.

Attachments

• droplet.jpg
    droplet.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 270

Shamus

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2006
Here is a photo of when we had heavy rain, and our street flooded for a few hours as the water slowly sifted through the blocked storm water drains.

Attachments

• DSC0011.jpg
    DSC0011.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 175

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
PlaceofDis said:
that would make an awesome background!

I agree. Love that image.

BTW PlaceofDis, hope you and Lee willl be participating in this thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/197767/

Here is one that might be a stretch. I see a connection to the "water" theme; I would like to hear others comments on this image as to the "water" theme.

Attachments

• P1000228web.jpg
    P1000228web.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 208

Wes Jordan

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2006
Chip NoVaMac said:
I agree. Love that image.

BTW PlaceofDis, hope you and Lee willl be participating in this thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/197767/

Here is one that might be a stretch. I see a connection to the "water" theme; I would like to hear others comments on this image as to the "water" theme.

Thats a great shot! I really like it. Did you use a macro lens or was the subject fairly big....what is that object in the rocks anyway?

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Wes Jordan said:
Thats a great shot! I really like it. Did you use a macro lens or was the subject fairly big....what is that object in the rocks anyway?

Thanks. The back story is that this a "rock garden" in a yard in Reykjavik, Iceland. The owner took the theme of boats and rocks I guess, given their being surrounded by water. Many of the homes in Reykjavik are single family homes, but with yards that are more of what we in the US would see in town homes.

The data on this shot: Panasonic LX-1 at 1/10, f4.9, focal length 25mm (which was the max zoom for the camera) at ISO 200. This was handheld at that shutter speed.

The original file was shot in a 16x9 format, and cropped down to what you see, this was to eliminate a "blank" area in the upper right portion of the image. I also used Lightroom to desaturate the image to give the rocks a more B&W "feel".

The object is an iron boat that the owner placed in their rock garden.

Attached is an unedited file.

Attachments

• P1000228_web2.jpg
    P1000228_web2.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 159

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
taken over the summer... i like it, it was one of the first real pictures i took with my nikon 8800:cool:

Attachments

• DSCN0618.jpg
    DSCN0618.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 170

Wes Jordan

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2006
Chip NoVaMac said:
Thanks. The back story is that this a "rock garden" in a yard in Reykjavik, Iceland. The owner took the theme of boats and rocks I guess, given their being surrounded by water. Many of the homes in Reykjavik are single family homes, but with yards that are more of what we in the US would see in town homes.

The data on this shot: Panasonic LX-1 at 1/10, f4.9, focal length 25mm (which was the max zoom for the camera) at ISO 200. This was handheld at that shutter speed.

The original file was shot in a 16x9 format, and cropped down to what you see, this was to eliminate a "blank" area in the upper right portion of the image. I also used Lightroom to desaturate the image to give the rocks a more B&W "feel".

The object is an iron boat that the owner placed in their rock garden.

Attached is an unedited file.

You have a very steady hand! (thinks to self how much i miss the IS lens on my old FZ30)

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Too many "water" photos to list. Some are like "vacation" photos, though. I have lots, and won't post the ones I think are nice, but are too "vacation photo"-esque. I took all the photos with a simple point and shoot because I was there and had a camera in hand, and sometimes a crap one at that.

Anyway, here are some of them. I have more, but we'll see. No 2 photos are even comparable, though. Entirely different subject.

Attachments

• sunset.jpg
    sunset.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 139
  • leaves.jpg
    leaves.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_2167.jpg
    IMG_2167.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 133
  • stone path.jpg
    stone path.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 156
  • boats.jpg
    boats.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 130

baby duck monge

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2003
Memphis, TN
One more. I had a really bad camera when this one was taken (as opposed to the bad camera I have now). Sorry about the quality :(

Attachments

• DSCN0062.jpg
    DSCN0062.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 188

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Chip NoVaMac said:
Hey Connie, here is my take on your second image. Hope you don't mind. :)

Thanks, Chip! I like this version, too.... Definitely I could have cropped more extensively -- I'm not sure that I had cropped that one at all, it's the way it came out of the camera. your version nicely removes the potentially distracting light ledge that parallels the sea lion as he's swimming and puts the viewer's attention directly on the intended subject. Thanks!

This is a fun thread -- lots of good images here!

Whiteapple

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2006
Haute Savoie,France
water

Here are my "water" pictures. Everything is open to critiques, of course.

1st shot: Nikon Coolpix 885 P&S. You know where that is...and it's my picture that corresponds the best to the topic.

2nd shot: Nikon D70 (tripod), in Brussels.

3rd shot: Sony DSC-V1 (In the French Alps, December, 1m of fresh snow).

DSCN2432.jpg

05_11_27_14h26-47.jpg

05_12_11_15h38-02.jpg

Note: My interpretation of the word "water" in the third shot is not meant to be "cheeky" or "arrogant", i just did not see any regulations as regarding the liquidity of water. :)

Applespider

macrumors G4
Original poster
Gary... all your shots of the PCH make me smile wistfully ;)

Have you got a site with all of them? I'm just looking at the big blank space on the chimney breast and wondering whether one of your pieces would work up there... especially since I end up in a good mood each time!

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
I'm certainly no photographer so I don't usually participate in these projects, but here's a picture I took during a flash flood we had in west London last September. I live on the top floor and the rain was coming down so hard that it was literally pouring off the flat roof and missing the gutters. The door to my roof terrace became something of a water feature and it even started leaking indoors :eek:

backdoor11qe.jpg

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
To all the recent posters, thanks for sharing some great images! Really. :)

To Whiteapple, that third image really rocks IMO. A great shot, but you lifted the theme to a whole new level! I totally see this as fitting the theme! Thanks for stretching the limits on how we view themes. I would have never thought of frozen water (snow) as fitting the theme.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.