Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
I have always loved the above topic, both as a photographer and a viewer.

In this post are examples of what I found interesting. Yes, the first image is one that I have posted many times here on MR in a variety of threads. It is one of my favorites from my Iceland trip. :) It means something special to me perhaps. The second image is from my Summer 2005 trip to SF. I just love the colors. The others are meant to spur others to post their images.

(A side note: Other than the two first images, the rest was taken on my visit to Reykjavik, Iceland. I was surprised at the amount of graffiti that I found in the "city core" due to what I had read about the general respect for the law and "social norms" in Iceland.)

Attachments

• P1000162a_web.jpg
    P1000162a_web.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 170
  • _MG_0500.jpg
    _MG_0500.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 199
  • DSC_0009_web.jpg
    DSC_0009_web.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 163
  • DSC_0023_web.jpg
    DSC_0023_web.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 157
  • P1000227_web.jpg
    P1000227_web.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 163

baby duck monge

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2003
Memphis, TN
Does it count when it's state-sanctioned? While there was a crazy amount of graffiti all over Brussels, they also had somewhere around 30 of these things drawn on the sides of random buildings around town. It was kinda fun to be walking and suddenly stumble upon one.

Attachments

• IMG_0548.jpg
    IMG_0548.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 197

Whiteapple

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2006
Haute Savoie,France
Brussels

I don't know how far this is relevant to the topic. I took those in Brussels last February, and I would like to have some critiques.

Camera: Nikon D70
Lense: standard 18-70mm
Other: Tripod

05_11_27_13h28-31.jpg

and

05_11_27_13h28-53.jpg

Thank you very much!

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
baby duck monge said:
Does it count when it's state-sanctioned? <snip> It was kinda fun to be walking and suddenly stumble upon one.

I guess it works then. :)

Whiteapple said:
I don't know how far this is relevant to the topic. I took those in Brussels last February, and I would like to have some critiques.

Camera: Nikon D70
Lense: standard 18-70mm
Other: Tripod

Thank you very much!

It fits the topic just fine. :)

As to critiques. I am not sure that I am seeing what you may have seen in these images. That is not a bad thing, we all have images that we like for one reason or another, but others just don't see it.

The fact that you used a tripod shows that you were deliberate in taking these shots. I seldom go to that level when I am out shooting, maybe I should. :)

While I do not see a compelling subject in these two photos, I do see your use of leading lines. Like in the second image, you have the cement bench in the lower left that leads us to the yellow pipes, that leads us to the bench.

Hope that I was not to harsh on you. :) Keep at it, I see a good eye developing in your photography.

Whiteapple

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2006
Haute Savoie,France
Chip NoVaMac said:
I guess it works then. :)

It fits the topic just fine. :)

As to critiques. I am not sure that I am seeing what you may have seen in these images. That is not a bad thing, we all have images that we like for one reason or another, but others just don't see it.

The fact that you used a tripod shows that you were deliberate in taking these shots. I seldom go to that level when I am out shooting, maybe I should. :)

While I do not see a compelling subject in these two photos, I do see your use of leading lines. Like in the second image, you have the cement bench in the lower left that leads us to the yellow pipes, that leads us to the bench.

Hope that I was not to harsh on you. :) Keep at it, I see a good eye developing in your photography.

Thanks, not harsh at all, i'm used to people saying they dont see subjects while i simply like the shot:) . With the camera i have (Sony DSC-V1) I cant actually practise very much on shots, i hate shooting with an lcd screen. Nevertheless I loved using my brother's D70, and these pictures he told me did not have any subject, but I just liked them. Check one of my other posts:

https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=2384643#post2384643

down the page

I'll eventually get better at "finding subjects".

PS: any websites for people in my case? or even books? Somebody told me drawing was the best thing to do, but maybe there are miraculous solutions:)

baby duck monge

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2003
Memphis, TN
One of the problems I had in Brussels (and would probably have in other European countries) was that the streets and walkways were a lot more narrow than I am used to, so it was harder to take pictures that showed exactly what I wanted. That may not have been an issue where Whiteapple was taking pictures since it seemed a bit more open, but like we have established everyone sees something different in a picture.

It probably also didn't help that I lacked anything more than a simple point-and-shoot digital. I should really invest in a nice digital SLR, but for now I have to make do with an old Nikormat and a little Canon digital. Oh well...

Anyway, there really was a lot of graffiti there (and in the craziest places - like their court :eek: ), and I would love it if more pictures were posted. I miss the place already, and love to be reminded of how great it was. :D

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Whiteapple said:
Thanks, not harsh at all, i'm used to people saying they dont see subjects while i simply like the shot:) . With the camera i have (Sony DSC-V1) I cant actually practise very much on shots, i hate shooting with an lcd screen. Nevertheless I loved using my brother's D70, and these pictures he told me did not have any subject, but I just liked them. Check one of my other posts:

I'll eventually get better at "finding subjects".

PS: any websites for people in my case? or even books? Somebody told me drawing was the best thing to do, but maybe there are miraculous solutions:)

Thanks. It is hard to offer opinions on photographs in sites like this, since we are on different levels. :)

Don't sell yourself short on the DSC-V1. My post in this thread (https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/198733/) was done with a Panasonic LX-1 which has only an LCD. Here are two more images with that camera that I have posted else where on MR.

One of the best photo exhibits I saw was one based on the Kodak Instamatic 104 camera (do a Google about the camera). A camera is a tool. As such it what we do with it that matters. The Amish build barns with simple hand tools, yet others build wonderful chests with the latest power tools.

You do have an eye IMO. It just takes time.

As to books. "Photography" by Barbara London may help. As to websites. I suggest that you might want to visit photosig.com for inspiration. Do not post there unless you really want to be roasted on an open spit IMO. An image that got a 2nd place finish in a contest, got roasted there. (This is the 3rd image in this post)

Just keep posting your images here on the DPF at MR. I hope that you will join us in this photo thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/197767/

Would love to see what you can come up with in that thread. :)

Attachments

• P1000162a_web.jpg
    P1000162a_web.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 131
  • P1000225web.jpg
    P1000225web.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 145
  • penn contest 8 web.jpg
    penn contest 8 web.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 156

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
baby duck monge said:
One of the problems I had in Brussels (and would probably have in other European countries) was that the streets and walkways were a lot more narrow than I am used to, so it was harder to take pictures that showed exactly what I wanted. That may not have been an issue where Whiteapple was taking pictures since it seemed a bit more open, but like we have established everyone sees something different in a picture.

I know what you mean. Sounds like Brussels was your first European visit. I just made my first trip outside of the US to Iceland and London in February.

You may want to look at a P&S camera with a wider angle POV. Some current models are the Canon S80 and the Panasonic LX-1/Leica D-lux 2.

It probably also didn't help that I lacked anything more than a simple point-and-shoot digital. I should really invest in a nice digital SLR, but for now I have to make do with an old Nikormat and a little Canon digital. Oh well...

See my post above to Whiteapple. I am darn happy with what a P&S camera can do. In fact, I am going on a business trip this week, and my LX-1 is the only camera I plan on taking. I hope on this trip to give myself some time to explore near by areas.

Anyway, there really was a lot of graffiti there (and in the craziest places - like their court :eek: ), and I would love it if more pictures were posted. I miss the place already, and love to be reminded of how great it was. :D

I know what you mean. I was so taken aback by the graffiti that I saw in Reykjavik. Iceland was to be a country of a close knit society, with great respect for each other. So I was surprised by the amount of graffiti that I saw.

It is perhaps the American view that graffiti is a sign of decay of society.

Whiteapple

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2006
Haute Savoie,France
Chip NoVaMac said:
Thanks. It is hard to offer opinions on photographs in sites like this, since we are on different levels. :)

Don't sell yourself short on the DSC-V1. My post in this thread (https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/198733/) was done with a Panasonic LX-1 which has only an LCD. Here are two more images with that camera that I have posted else where on MR.

One of the best photo exhibits I saw was one based on the Kodak Instamatic 104 camera (do a Google about the camera). A camera is a tool. As such it what we do with it that matters. The Amish build barns with simple hand tools, yet others build wonderful chests with the latest power tools.

You do have an eye IMO. It just takes time.

As to books. "Photography" by Barbara London may help. As to websites. I suggest that you might want to visit photosig.com for inspiration. Do not post there unless you really want to be roasted on an open spit IMO. An image that got a 2nd place finish in a contest, got roasted there. (This is the 3rd image in this post)

Just keep posting your images here on the DPF at MR. I hope that you will join us in this photo thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/197767/

Would love to see what you can come up with in that thread. :)

I sure will participate:)

Going back to Brussels during the May 26-29th period, will try to improve urban-shot skills.

Thanks for your attention, there is this nice atmosphere which I really like on these forums, which would as you suggested not happened in places like photosig.com (very nice stuff over there as well).

As for the P&S with LCD, it is very true that you can make nice stuff with them, but I think it pretty much depends on the light you shoot in, where you can or cannot see the screen very well. However, I managed to take "OK" shots, and I would tend to say that P&S is a very nice school to learn photography, and the sony is a very good camera. My experience is that I'm slowly learning about framing, and I have a feeling it could go faster with a proper framebox, but I also feel it's going quite well.

Sony DSC-V1 "gallery" (hope you have a nice screen resolution:) )

http://guyguy.pagus.org/SONY_V1/

:)

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Whiteapple said:
I sure will participate:)

Going back to Brussels during the May 26-29th period, will try to improve urban-shot skills.

Thanks for your attention, there is this nice atmosphere which I really like on these forums, which would as you suggested not happened in places like photosig.com (very nice stuff over there as well).

As for the P&S with LCD, it is very true that you can make nice stuff with them, but I think it pretty much depends on the light you shoot in, where you can or cannot see the screen very well. However, I managed to take "OK" shots, and I would tend to say that P&S is a very nice school to learn photography, and the sony is a very good camera. My experience is that I'm slowly learning about framing, and I have a feeling it could go faster with a proper framebox, but I also feel it's going quite well.

Sony DSC-V1 "gallery" (hope you have a nice screen resolution:) )

http://guyguy.pagus.org/SONY_V1/

:)

Man, after seeing the images in your gallery, you are selling yourself short IMO. There are some really great shots there, your image posts here are truly not your best from what you are starting to share with us.

Keep posting in the right threads and you will see that there are many of us that will see the benefit of your eye. :)

Whiteapple

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2006
Haute Savoie,France
Thanks :eek: Not meant to sell myself short though, nevermind. Quick question, as regarding the "snow" ones, I dont remember if I have ever edited them, they do look kinda "color adjusted". Nevertheless, in iPhoto the original dates and numerized (not sure how it is in english iPhoto) dates are the same. Does that mean they have not been edited? Thanks again:)

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
I used to be very into this stuff when I was a kid. This is one I painted when I was...erm... younger.

If anyone's interested in seeing some crazy stuff google a guy named Puppet. He used to be one of my favs.

Attachments

• spraypaint.jpg
    spraypaint.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 190

tykles

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2004
Colorado
Well, here's my first submission to the forums - I hope it actually works (I couldn't find a sticky on how to attach images so I did my best). I took this in Granada Spain a few years agao, stitched a few shots together. I am expecting my shiny new D70s to arive via UPS today, so hopefully you'll be seeing more of me soon!
tyler

attachment.php

Attachments

• grafmural.jpg
    grafmural.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 1,426

Roy Hobbs

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
DC area

here are a few of mine all from the DC neighborhood of Adams Morgan

IMG_2944.jpg

IMG_2951.jpg

IMG_2948.jpg

jaydub

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2006
kvanwagoner said:
cool area. I had some pizza down there last month, while hanging out with friends. :cool:

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
kvanwagoner said:

IMG_2944.jpg

IMG_2951.jpg

IMG_2948.jpg

Oh, good, I'm glad someone included Adams Morgan!! That's such a nifty area of DC! Also there is some neat graffiti/street art on a wall around Klingle or Adams Mill Road, too.... never got around to taking a photo of that, though.

maxi

macrumors regular
May 23, 2006
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Hey everyone, this is my first contribution on the photography section. I hope I can get to spend some good times here. Anyways, I've loved photography all my life, I work with cameras, but I'm not a photographer :)
this is NYC in summer '04. D70 with 18-70mm kit lens.

DSC_0027.jpg

DSC_0110.jpg

DSC_0126.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.