Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jsklar

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2005
so my brother's got a dual 1.8ghz g5, he just moved into an apartment where a wireless network is the only real option, so he bought an airport extreme card.

at first he complained he couldn't pick up a signal - turned out he never plugged the antenna into the back of the airport card.

still can't pick up a signal though osx recognizes his card. i told him to check if hes roomate's laptop picks up a signal in that room...

working him through this on the phone i had been looking at the DIY repair/upgrade pdf on the support site for the APE

but when i looked through the powermac g5 (early 05) users guide i noticed there was this extra fifth step in the installation procedure for an airport extreme card:

5 Attach the AirPort Extreme antenna to the AirPort antenna port [airport symbol] on the back panel. To adjust reception, you can rotate the antenna.

and theres a picture of what appears to be like a rubber stub sticking out of the back of the tower above all the ports - my brother says he doesn't see anything like that.

should that thing have come with the computer? is it even necessary?

any thoughts?

thanks!
j

RGunner

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2002
Midnight Sun
G5 Airport Antenna

Most definitely, you need the G5 Airport Antenna which is a dongle that connects to the back of the machine (T) shapped. There is also a Bluetooth Antenna (I) shapped which also attaches near the Airport Antenna (of course the Bluetooth antenna is not needed in his situation).

Am sure whithout the external "T" dongle the reception will be poor at best..

jsklar

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2005
thanks a lot, RGunner.

but should that T antenna dongle have come with the mac or with the airport card? or will the apple store give him one if he should have it and doesn't?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.