Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

asherman13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 31, 2005
SF Bay Area, CA
grapes911 said:
Not really. (sorry for the short post :eek: )

Haha no worries. :( I'm just in the middle of something I can't "save" and I don't want to stop but my RAM is being maxed out while just using Safari. It sucks. :mad:

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
Heb1228 said:
Log out and log back in your user account.
Won't work. Many processes are system wide and just can't be released. It may clear somethings that are user specific, I don't know. My guess is that it won't. At best, it would probably be inactive, not free.

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
grapes911 said:
Won't work. Many processes are system wide and just can't be released. It may clear somethings that are user specific, I don't know. My guess is that it won't. At best, it would probably be inactive, not free.
In my experience it does free up quite a bit. Not as much as if you restart, but it does clear your swap files and memory goes back to mostly being free.

(Not that free memory is necessarily the goal. To the OP, if you're just trying to get your free memory numbers higher, you're not doing anything to help the performance of the machine. OS X doesn't need your help with memory management. Free memory is not a good thing.)

asherman13 said:
Haha no worries. :( I'm just in the middle of something I can't "save" and I don't want to stop but my RAM is being maxed out while just using Safari. It sucks. :mad:
How much memory is in your machine?

You can try closing unused tabs if that's possible for you. That may help. I assume you mean that you can't quit safari because that would cause you to lose your work? If not, then quit Safari and restart it. That will likely help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.