Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cheap-Chopstix

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 13, 2003
in a tree
I was just updating my 12inch 1ghz pbook with 256mb + 512mb ram when some error occured said it could not update all components. I decided to restart my computer and it stalled. cleared all my desktop items away and would not restart... tried to do force quit, nothing so i did a hard power off. Tried to reboot and i get as far as the apple and spinning thing but it juss keeps spinning. Cannot get into login.... i tried everything so far...

Attempted safe mode - will not work
Pram reset
PMU reset
I tried to get into single user to do FSCK and the command line reports some login bin errors and juss crashes cant type anything.
Disk Utility from install disk
- repair permissions *reported some issues and fixed
- repair disk *reported no problems

Are there any options which might help me? Thanks.

BTW i currently have Tiger installed.

Cheap-Chopstix

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 13, 2003
in a tree
i wasnt installing ram juss using software update... downloaded some java update then ipod update then some error occured after that said it could not complete the rest of the updates

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
It sounds like your installed OS got screwed somehow. Especially if it boots properly off the CD. Do you have a backup of your data?

You may want to boot of the CD again, run disk utility and choose repair disk several times, even if it tells you there are no problems the first time or two. Same thing with FSCK. Try it two or three more times. If you still get nothing, then I'd say its probably time to reinstall. If you haven't backed up your stuff, try booting into target disk mode and using another computer (a friend's if need be) to retrieve your home folder or anything you need saved.

Cheap-Chopstix

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 13, 2003
in a tree
yeah thats what i figured... i dont have everything backed up but would juss like to grab a few files for school... how do u do that target disk mode would i have to use a mac or could i use a PC? through a network or direct connection like firewire?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.