Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paxtonandrew

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 10, 2004
I Come From A Land Down Under
I mistakenly purchased a SATA HDD for my PMG4, which runs on the ATA-133 Bus, and because I can't return it, I have to make do with the HDD. I have been scouring the Internet, and have discovered that there is a converter, that enables you to convert the SATA signal to something that the IDE BUS understands. Is it possible to reliably convert the Signals from a SATA drive to the ATA Bus, or am I just dreaming.

Thanks for your help.

timswim78

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2006
Baltimore, MD
If you have a free PCI slot, I would consider buying an SATA controller card. It probably costs about the same amount as two converters, and it will give you the ability to add more SATA drives in the future.

SmurfBoxMasta

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005
I'm only really here at night.
paxtonandrew said:
Can you boot off one of them?

yes you can boot from them. I am running a Firmtek 1S2 card in my Sawtooth right now and have 2x Raptors connected to it. Both drives are readable/writable/bootable etc etc.......

You could get a 4 port card & add up to 4 SATA HDDs, and you will ALSO get the added benefit of more ssppppeeeed too :eek:

From what I have heard, those convertors about a 50/50 long shot in most machines. Some work fine nottaproblemo, others suk & cause freezez & crashing beyond belief........YMMV!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.