Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

TheRegister ties together some thoughts to speculate that the previously rumored Red iPod may be coming this Tuesday.

This is based on this day being an otherwise big one for the Product Red charity which the red iPod is supposed to be a part of.

Also, since the iPod and MacBook are rumored to be released together, the site concludes the MacBook could also be released that day.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Take you partner, here we go again....

Red iPod = somewhat of a good idea.
MacBook = so amazingly over-hyped on here no matter what Jobs reveals it will disappoint.

Personally I'd like to see a refresh of the iPod line and some leather cases for the MacBook Pro. Oh, and an iPod HiFi Express to take on Altec's smaller inMotions. That would be so sweet to see the fall out on here from an event like that.

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
Maybe they'll release a red MacBook too. I'm hoping the MacBook will come in a few different colors, so a red one could be possible. Eh? Pleeeeease?

Chundles said:
Personally I'd like to see a refresh of the iPod line and some leather cases for the MacBook Pro. Oh, and an iPod HiFi Express to take on Altec's smaller inMotions. That would be so sweet to see the fall out on here from an event like that.

Maybe they could release the new PowerMacs too, only with onboard graphics.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Chundles said:
Take you partner, here we go again....

Red iPod = somewhat of a good idea.
MacBook = so amazingly over-hyped on here no matter what Jobs reveals it will disappoint.

I totally agree. But I like the red ipod idea. The red and black u2 one did very well....I think the red one will do great. I'm sure Apple has done some research in the case market to see what color is often purchased...I would have guess blue though.

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
jessica. said:
I totally agree. But I like the red ipod idea. The red and black u2 one did very well....I think the red one will do great. I'm sure Apple has done some research in the case market to see what color is often purchased...I would have guess blue though.

Really? I've never once seen anyone with a U2 iPod.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
miloblithe said:

Nor have I but you can make one at ColorWare and they look sweeeet.

The red wheel on the black background just looks very cool, much sharper than the all-black iPod and much tougher than an all-red one.

Well, I can't get ColorWare to work properly at the moment - my dial-up is being silly. But take my word for it, they look cool.

Manatee

Contributor
Oct 20, 2003
Washington DC
Somehow I doubt the whole "red iPod" thing. However, if they come through with a video iPod with a 4" screen, I don't care what color it is.

Now the new iBook/MacBook -- that would be useful. I already have by MacBook Pro, but a huge number of Maccies with their elderly iBooks are waiting to join the Intel fray. Some of them just want updates to the iBook, others want innovation, and then there are those who want the multi-OS options that people like myself have had for a while.

New 'Book -- makes sales happen.
Red iPods -- um... it would be cute to say it "puts them in the red", but no, it just has no real benefit for either Apple or it's customers.

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Does anybody know how the iPod mini sales were related to the differnet colours?
Don't think the pink one was sold most... ;)

Don't think a red iPod would look nice. Maybe a silver one... like the iPod mini silver was?

berkleeboy210

macrumors 68000
Sep 2, 2004
Boston, Massachusetts
This will get moved to the front page over the weekend just like last week because T.S. and A.I received more credible info. - and we'll go through the same thing we all went through a week ago.

thedude110

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2005
iPods are about status, and Red iPods would sell -- they'd be must haves on college campuses.

Remember these bracelets?

pd_until_theres_a_cure_braclet.jpg

They were livestrong before livestrong.

As an old fart, I would feel sort of alienated by this. Any visible politics that leads to judgment and lacks fundamental activism ("Why didn't you buy a Red iPod? I can't believe you're not doing your part to fight AIDS!") leaves me wary.

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
berkleeboy210 said:
This will get moved to the front page over the weekend just like last week because T.S. and A.I received more credible info. - and we'll go through the same thing we all went through a week ago.

Or move it over to Page 3 :D
The MacBook is a hoax... :eek:

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
MacsRgr8 said:
Does anybody know how the iPod mini sales were related to the differnet colours?
Don't think the pink one was sold most... ;)

Don't think a red iPod would look nice. Maybe a silver one... like the iPod mini silver was?

Pretty sure the order went:

Silver
Blue
Green
Pink
Daylight
Gold

OK, got it working:
U2 nano
4_01_9.jpg

U2 5G
4_9.jpg

I reckon they look good.

Here's a few more combos for the nano:

ipodnano2hq.jpg

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Don't look now but here we go, here we go again!

If it's like a fire engine red, count me out. If it's moe of a pink red, I'm sure it'll have the chick-appeal.

I just wanna see the specs and price of the macbook. that's all..just the specs and price and I'd be happy. I don't even need a picture of it.

pyrophite

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2006
This thread makes me want to toss my computer out the window, not because im expecting a new macbook to be launced on tuesday to replace it, but because i keep getting my hopes up that this stupid thing will get released. And yes i know that i could stop comming to MR and not have to deal with all these rumors until it's ACTUALLY released, but this rumor has become like crack to me, i cant stay away from it no matter HOW unhealthy it may be for me.

My hopes although may be smashed eventually because if this thing includes integrated video, i'll simply just have to pass and wait til i can afford the MBP. Anyway, here's to another weekend of maddness!

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
miloblithe said:

I wish so much that Apple would bring us multi colored iPods

gkarris said:
Wearing the red ipod around you're more likely to get pulled over by the cops...:mad:

That's a myth I have a bright ass red car and I never have had that problem

*knock on wood*

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I think the Red iPod is a good theory. There doesn't seem to be any dire need to update the iPods into a totally new model, but tacking a red iPod onto the MacBook announcement isn't totally crazy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.