Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old May 14, 2006, 11:10 AM   #1
munckee
macrumors 65816

How do I create a disc image from a DVD?

I'm trying to install tiger on my B/W G3 and I can't start it in target disc mode.

I found this forum post and thought I'd try something similar:
http://forums.applenova.com/showthread.php?t=6215

Since I don't have a FW ipod, I took the hard drive out of the B/W and put it in my USB external enclosure. I figured I'd make the DVD image on the hard drive using my powerbook and then put the drive back into the B/W and run the tiger install from there. Will that work? If so...how? I opened Disk Utility, but I don't understand how to "make an image of the DVD" on the hard drive.
munckee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2006, 11:51 AM   #2
munckee
macrumors 65816

I managed to get a disc image of the install DVD on the boot drive of the G3. I can mount the image and start the install process, but when prompted to restart, the computer just starts back into OSX instead of restarting into the install process. Any help
Old May 14, 2006, 12:31 PM   #3
alexstein
macrumors 6502a

The problem you are running into is that you need to boot from an external source like an optical drive(hence boot disc) or external firewire drive (target disk mode).

The disk image part is fine but you need to have it on a different disk not on the one you want to put tiger onto.

Have you tried to partition your HDD and put the disk image of Tiger on the second partition.

Can you boot your machine through a network drive (using your powerbook as the network drive)

I don't know if either of these suggestions work but it's something to try out.
Old May 14, 2006, 12:38 PM   #4
munckee
macrumors 65816

Ah. Didn't know that it had to be on a separate partition. Unfortunately, the only firewire drive I have is my powerbook in target disc mode. I tried booting the PB into TDM and using it like an external DVD drive, but I had the same problem. When I restarted the G3, it would boot back into Jaguar rather than into the instal process from the CD.

It appears that I need to do the opposite; boot the G3 into TDM and install Tiger from the PB onto the G3 that way, BUT I can't boot the G3 into TDM.

I may just wait until my roommate gets home to see if I can borrow a DVD drive to do the install. Might be easier than all this other stuff.
Old May 14, 2006, 03:33 PM   #5
munckee
macrumors 65816

Well, I grabbed my roommates DVD drive. Installed it in the tower, booted the G3 (drive shows up fine). Put the DVD in, pops up on the desktop no problem. Dbl click the install icon, "please restart" dialogue comes up. Restart...and nothing. I get the standard "bong" sound on startup, but it doesn't get any further. My monitor doesn't even pop up to a grey screen or anything. Nada.

Disc won't eject. Computer won't hard-shut down without pulling the power cords.
Old May 14, 2006, 03:43 PM   #6
SC68Cal
macrumors 68000

3rd party IDE disc drives are not supported for booting.
SC68Cal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2006, 03:45 PM   #7
munckee
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC68Cal
So now I have to have an APPLE dvd drive to run the install? WTF kinda crap is that? And how does it know; apple doesn't actually make any of their optical drives do they?

Basically it's impossible then for me to get tiger onto this computer without a firewire enclosure AND a second computer to put the OS onto the FW drive with?

Last edited by munckee; May 14, 2006 at 03:51 PM.
Old May 14, 2006, 04:32 PM   #8
me hate windows
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC68Cal
I used a LG GSA-4167B super multi drive to install Tiger on an older G4 whos DVD Ram drive had died, so some are supported.

Is the jumper on the back of the DVD drive set right? Make sure it is the same as the original drive, either master or slave. Also, I think there might have been a firmware update for the B&W towers that enabled target disc mode, but I am not sure on that one.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help