Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Peyton

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 2, 2006
I desparately need a new phone. I do not like much of anything verizon has available, but I cannot change carriers (as they are by FAR the best in my area) and far cheaper.

Can I just buy a phone, take it in, and have them make it work?

There are plenty of phones I like better (SLVR) but don't want to just buy one and have it not work. Anyone?

Peyton

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 2, 2006
cool, so if I go with a TMDA phone that is unlocked I'm good?

Thanks again

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
yg17 said:
Be careful though since some phones (SLVR for example) are GSM and I believe Verizon is TDMA
Verizon is CDMA. Phones such as the SLVR, ROKR, and RAZR (excluding the RAZR V3c) are all GSM and are not cross compatible.

Peyton

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 2, 2006
So I've been looking for hours... verizon has some crap looking phones. Does any one recommend any?

1. Looks are really important
2. Size is important (not huge)
3. functionality (needs to be functional. not much else)

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
Peyton said:
So I've been looking for hours... ...
aren't these the criteria for so many things in life? :D

I have Verizon, their service is great but the phones are just mediocre I guess. It's just a phone though, I suppose I just don't care that much so long as it works. <shrugs>

slagonnee

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2005
As long as the phone you get is Verizon branded - it doesn't need to be unlocked. Make sure the ESN # is clear however (especially if you get a phone off eBay or oft times sketchy local phone dealers).

IIRC, you can use the the Verizon webpage (login to your account) to switch from one phone to another by entering the ESN of the new phone. You can also do it over the phone - or at a Verizon dealer.

Peyton said:
So I've been looking for hours... verizon has some crap looking phones. Does any one recommend any?

Verizon has quite a few crappy phones... I have a friend that really likes the Kyocera KX2 (I have an old LG VX4400 ).

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Verizon carries the Vcast RAZR (Motorola RAZR V3c), which is available in most areas.

Might be your best bet....

Peyton

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 2, 2006
jsw said:
Verizon carries the Vcast RAZR (Motorola RAZR V3c), which is available in most areas.

Might be your best bet....

yep, just doesn't come in all black... and yes, I'm vain about my phone :eek: but yeah, I guess the V3c will have to due, at least until the iphone comes out...:mad: :cool:

thanks again everyone

UPDATE I bought the RAZR V3c today, from verizon, not a bad phone, quite like the screen in fact, thanks for the advice, I know its cliche, but still a good phone. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.