Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old May 15, 2006, 03:08 AM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

Poll: Macworld readers on Apple switch

Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: Poll: Macworld readers on Apple switch
Description:: Interesting opions from other viewers.

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old May 15, 2006, 08:12 AM   #2
steve_hill4
macrumors 68000

Send a message via ICQ to steve_hill4 Send a message via AIM to steve_hill4 Send a message via MSN to steve_hill4 Send a message via Yahoo to steve_hill4 Send a message via Skype™ to steve_hill4
Interesting article. We have certainly seen increased interest in Macs from consumers since January. We still don't sell as many as we do PCs, but more are at a minimum considering the switch. Even among employees, myself and colleague have bought Macs, (mine was long planned however, even before Intel announcement), and another one or two at least are planning/considering a purchase.

You can always root out the dead wood though, they're the ones who go on about PCs and slag off Macs with nonsensical arguments, then come running to me to help customers with them, even though I can sell all they can, plus more, too.
Old May 15, 2006, 08:22 AM   #3
Blue Velvet
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBytes
Description:: Interesting opions from other viewers.
All editors should know their opions from their onions.

Mildly interesting but only because the most interesting comment is right here on MR.
Blue Velvet is offline   0
Old May 15, 2006, 08:33 AM   #4
zelmo
macrumors 603

I would be quite interested in the results of a similar poll conducted with current Windows users. I expect Mac users have slightly a different perspective on the switch issue.
Old May 15, 2006, 08:47 AM   #5
Boggle
macrumors 6502

Location: Krazyglued to an office chair in a perpetual meeting on coffee break abuse.
The article was reasonable right up until the words, "IT advisors threaten new Mac wave" But in general I'm not in favor of surveying Mac users to determine what (if anything) will convert PC users. IMO that automatically skews both the sample & the responses. It would be far more sensible to ask PC users what it would take to make them switch, but it would cost much more to go out and find that audience and there are budget limits to be considered.

Oh well, you have to work with what you've got.
With orange and lavender spots?
Boggle is offline   0
Old May 15, 2006, 09:28 AM   #6
BenRoethig
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to BenRoethig Send a message via Yahoo to BenRoethig
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boggle
The article was reasonable right up until the words, "IT advisors threaten new Mac wave" But in general I'm not in favor of surveying Mac users to determine what (if anything) will convert PC users. IMO that automatically skews both the sample & the responses. It would be far more sensible to ask PC users what it would take to make them switch, but it would cost much more to go out and find that audience and there are budget limits to be considered.

What PC users want is a better PC, not something revolutionary like the iMac. In other words, they like the way things are done on the PC side, but hate windows and the 1980s technology underneath it.
BenRoethig is offline   0
Old May 15, 2006, 10:00 AM   #7
Boggle
macrumors 6502

Location: Krazyglued to an office chair in a perpetual meeting on coffee break abuse.
Quote:
...in general I'm not in favor of surveying Mac users to determine what (if anything) will convert PC users. IMO that automatically skews both the sample & the responses. It would be far more sensible to ask PC users what it would take to make them switch, but it would cost much more to go out and find that audience and there are budget limits to be considered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenRoethig
What PC users want is a better PC, not something revolutionary like the iMac. In other words, they like the way things are done on the PC side, but hate windows and the 1980s technology underneath it.
What you suggest is probably right, @ least to me it's common sense but a market share with over 125 million consumers doesn't have just one desire. And asking people who are outside that 125 million is no way to get good answers. So...

Like I said, I think the sample is tainted & therefore its results cannot be trusted. The whole idea is to find out what it would take to get ppl who've never used a Mac to make them buy a Mac. So why ask the people who already use the product? Put another way, why take a sample from the 5% of consumers you already have when you want information about the 95% of consumers you don't? Shouldn't you just ask the other 95%?
With orange and lavender spots?
Boggle is offline   0
Old May 15, 2006, 10:49 AM   #8
Seasought
macrumors 65816

Quote:
The whole idea is to find out what it would take to get ppl who've never used a Mac to make them buy a Mac. So why ask the people who already use the product? Put another way, why take a sample from the 5% of consumers you already have when you want information about the 95% of consumers you don't? Shouldn't you just ask the other 95%?
That's a really good point actually. One rarely (ever?) sees this type of opinion polled from the actual demographic involved. There is a tendency to ask about what a certain body of consumers think from consumers who don't make up the body in question.

If it helps at all I can state my reasons for not switching prior to switching:

"I can't stand OS 9."

and the infamous...

"I like to play games x,y and z and they aren't available for Mac / aren't available yet."
Old May 15, 2006, 12:17 PM   #9
BenRoethig
macrumors 68030

Quote:
What you suggest is probably right, @ least to me it's common sense but a market share with over 125 million consumers doesn't have just one desire. And asking people who are outside that 125 million is no way to get good answers. So...

Like I said, I think the sample is tainted & therefore its results cannot be trusted. The whole idea is to find out what it would take to get ppl who've never used a Mac to make them buy a Mac. So why ask the people who already use the product? Put another way, why take a sample from the 5% of consumers you already have when you want information about the 95% of consumers you don't? Shouldn't you just ask the other 95%?
That's why the PC world can go from $350 to $3500. All tower PCs may look the same to Mac users, but its what you put in them that makes them what they are. Apple can't please the other 95%, their mindset is too different from the mainstream. If they try, they'll mess up what they have. The only real option is bringing the OS, boot camp, and the firmware package to the PC crowd.
Old May 15, 2006, 03:08 PM   #10
shamino
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Absolutely right. I look at my parents. They don't want something new. They want their current system (a Dell running Windows) to run faster, without crashing, and without the need for antivirus tools consuming all available CPU power.

If Microsoft would be capable of delivering that soluton (instead of adding eye-candy that requires more powerful hardware without adding any useful features), Apple would lose all their switchers. But MS is either unable or unwilling to do this - you decide if their problem is incompetance or apathy - so Apple is able to recruit those PC users who decide they've had enough.

If MS actually delivers on their promises, Apple will be in trouble. But I don't think there's much to fear in this department
Old May 15, 2006, 03:25 PM   #11
winmacguy
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Velvet
All editors should know their opions from their onions.

Mildly interesting but only because the most interesting comment is right here on MR.
I could'nt think of what else to put when I wrote the description.
Old May 15, 2006, 03:28 PM   #12
winmacguy
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Agreed. They just want a PC to work properly and they don't necessarily want to learn any new way of doing stuff just to get things done.
Old May 15, 2006, 03:55 PM   #13
BenRoethig
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamino
Absolutely right. I look at my parents. They don't want something new. They want their current system (a Dell running Windows) to run faster, without crashing, and without the need for antivirus tools consuming all available CPU power.

If Microsoft would be capable of delivering that soluton (instead of adding eye-candy that requires more powerful hardware without adding any useful features), Apple would lose all their switchers. But MS is either unable or unwilling to do this - you decide if their problem is incompetance or apathy - so Apple is able to recruit those PC users who decide they've had enough.

If MS actually delivers on their promises, Apple will be in trouble. But I don't think there's much to fear in this department

And if Apple were to wake up, Microsoft would be in trouble. Whoever finds out that the majority of consumers want something practical that works will be in the drivers seat. Unfortunately neither Apple nor the PC world can figure all that out.
Old May 15, 2006, 04:15 PM   #14
shamino
macrumors 68040

Quote:
And if Apple were to wake up, Microsoft would be in trouble. Whoever finds out that the majority of consumers want something practical that works will be in the drivers seat. Unfortunately neither Apple nor the PC world can figure all that out.
Doesn't work that way. Nobody is expecting Apple to sell a Windows platform, even though that's what the public wants.

If they did, it wouldn't attract many PC users. They'd (correctly) see it as just another PC, no different from all the rest. It would end up having to compete solely on the basis of price, and I don't think Apple can ever compete in a market like that. They need their high margins to survive.

And this is ignoring the fact that it's a practical impossibility for anyone other than MS to ever ship a bug-free version of Windows. Applications are written for what MS ships, and in many cases have code designed to work around bugs, which break when the bugs are fixed. In order to be compatitible with apps, Apple would have to emulate, not only the published APIs, but also the undocumented ones and the bugs. And you're playing catch-up to change your emulation every time MS introduces a new feature (even an undocumented one) or creates/fixes a new bug. So you end up with a product that's no better, is always behind the feature curve, and costs billions of dollars to maintain.

Any corporation that thinks this is a good idea should have its collective head examined.

Of course, this can be avoided by simply shipping Windows. But then we're back to the same situation I described above - where your product is now identical to everything sold by the competition, and yours costs more.

Or is your definition of Apple "waking up" something other than building-in Windows support?
Old May 15, 2006, 09:14 PM   #15
BenRoethig
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamino
Doesn't work that way. Nobody is expecting Apple to sell a Windows platform, even though that's what the public wants.

If they did, it wouldn't attract many PC users. They'd (correctly) see it as just another PC, no different from all the rest. It would end up having to compete solely on the basis of price, and I don't think Apple can ever compete in a market like that. They need their high margins to survive.
No, it wouldn't. Apple works because a small percentage of computer users want something different. If the only difference was Mac OS X, Apple wouldn't be around right now. Apple doesn't compete in the same section that HP and Dell do. They are a boutique manufacturer like Alienware and Falcon NW. You don't find them lowering their margins to compete, do you?

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion