Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old May 15, 2006, 12:59 PM   #1
jimN
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to jimN
Windows Media Player 11...

... better than iTunes according to the impartial people over at pcmag.com. Not sure that I agree with where they are coming from (it's prettier) and they miss the important fact that one of the reasons iTunes persists persists is the iPod and vice versa.

I've never had any particular complaints with iTunes and improvement in rivals can only be a good thing. Check it out for some entertaingin reading.

www.pcmag.com
Old May 15, 2006, 01:15 PM   #2
eva01
macrumors 601

Send a message via AIM to eva01 Send a message via MSN to eva01 Send a message via Yahoo to eva01
why is the background all the same color on that first image thats up there? How can you tell where one column or box ends and the next begins?

nor are there any lines running down the column as a separator....
Old May 15, 2006, 01:16 PM   #3
Eraserhead
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimN
... better than iTunes according to the impartial people over at pcmag.com.
PCMag is about as impartial as Steve Balmer talking Google. (I can think of better example's but they're more political )

For example PCMag have the most bias Vista review ever, compare to them Paul Thurrot's is 'Fair and Balanced' (actually it is pretty fair IMHO).

The review makes some interesting points, the album art view is cool, though fall's down massively if your music isn't on the database.
It seems however (as it's not mentioned in the review) that WMP doesn't do auto-sync yet, and that it doesn't load music automatically as you click and drag (bad implimentation)
Old May 15, 2006, 01:19 PM   #4
backupdrummer
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to backupdrummer Send a message via Yahoo to backupdrummer
it looks a little prettier but i have yet to see anything that would motivate a move from iTunes to WMP 11. That said i will try it out. I am fine wit a some more players at the table that will encourage Apple to aggressively defend its space.
Old May 15, 2006, 01:31 PM   #5
aristobrat
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by backupdrummer
I am fine wit a some more players at the table that will encourage Apple to aggressively defend its space.
Same here.

iTunes has been so great compared to WMP that Apple's really had to do very little to it.

Now that WMP's "stepped up to the plate", I can't wait to see what Apple does with the next iTunes update!
aristobrat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2006, 01:37 PM   #6
jimN
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to jimN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eraserhead
PCMag is about as impartial as Steve Balmer talking Google. (I can think of better example's but they're more political )
I would have hoped that an English-er would have spotted a post that dripped with sarcasm as heavily as this one.
Old May 15, 2006, 01:56 PM   #7
mkrishnan
Moderator emeritus

It's a future product...it's not inconceivable that it'll be better. Especially given the computer industry's penchance for skirting the lines of plagiarism. The question is what will happen to iTunes next.
Old May 15, 2006, 01:58 PM   #8
Eraserhead
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimN
I would have hoped that an English-er would have spotted a post that dripped with sarcasm as heavily as this one.
Sorry, i didn't pick up on it... I must be loosing my touch (or maybe it's just because i do a maths degree, and we're not known for being social animals )
Old May 15, 2006, 05:41 PM   #9
Mavimao
macrumors 6502a

I'm trying not to sound like a mac zealot here, but that interface is hideous. It looks confusing and it doesn't look pretty one bit.

This is all they can do?

edit: the bottom bar with the play and search buttons don't look too bad at second glance but everything else is so barren...
Old May 15, 2006, 05:55 PM   #10
ColdFlame87
macrumors regular

Has anyone noticed the aqua buttons, it kinds of feels like windows is copying yet another thing from the mac
Old May 15, 2006, 06:41 PM   #11
jaydub
macrumors 6502a

So it looks like you have to paste album art manually with WMP too. I wish Apple would implement a better method of obtaining album art so people don't have to find third party programs to do it. :\
Old May 15, 2006, 07:00 PM   #12
aristobrat
macrumors Demi-God

Apple's solution to album art = buy everything from iTunes and they'll include it.
aristobrat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2006, 07:18 PM   #13
sorryiwasdreami
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to sorryiwasdreami
It does look enticing to the average viewer. Their color and composition psychologists did well here; however, the UI really is a copy of apple stuff.

I'm sure the player will be fairly big. We shouldn't worry since apple is about 4-5 years ahead in these design elements. Plus, iPod.
Old May 15, 2006, 09:40 PM   #14
CubaTBird
macrumors 68020

looks like the same ol' clunky wmp 10.0 to me
CubaTBird is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2006, 10:23 PM   #15
chasemac
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to chasemac
Quote:
Originally Posted by CubaTBird
looks like the same ol' clunky wmp 10.0 to me
Same here! And I bet they'll have to patch it up with some crapy skins too.
chasemac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2006, 10:30 PM   #16
jaydub
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by aristobrat
Apple's solution to album art = buy everything from iTunes and they'll include it.
And I guess that's fair enough, honestly. If nothing else, I'd say it's more of a pie in the sky wish.

In the meantime I'm just happy I took two weeks to tag my entire collection, and I'll just keep it up as I rip things.
Old May 15, 2006, 10:31 PM   #17
fradac
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to fradac Send a message via MSN to fradac Send a message via Yahoo to fradac
i got it, put it on my work computer

and who is the idiot comparing this to itunes.. its no better than anything else i have tried. and years behind of itunes.

it looks better thats all. but functionality is not there
fradac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2006, 10:31 PM   #18
iGary

Intuitive navigation?
iGary is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2006, 10:35 PM   #19

I downloaded WMP 11, and yes, I must accept is a HUGE improvement from WMP 10, but IMO iTunes is still a much more user friendly music player. I found adding music to WMP11 is much more confusing that with iTunes. Microsoft tend to make things sofisticated.

iTunes also has a much better color combination. It has less bottons and a more direct user interface.

WMP11 has the nice feature of being able to search for the album information. Something that iTunes lacks. Importing Artwork with iTunes has always been such a tedius work. (At least on PC's).

But iTunes has the iPod and what I think is the best online music store. Lets see how WMP 11 works when it is no longer on beta version.

It would be cool if Apple turns up with an update that adds cool futures to iTunes, leaving MS again in the back. Because it seems the "war" of the music player and stores has started.
66217 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2006, 10:54 PM   #20
monke
macrumors 65816

I found a screen shot somewhere's else of WMA 11, and found two quite nice MP3 players on the screen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hmmm.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	47597  
monke is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2006, 01:16 AM   #21
exeterbohemian
macrumors regular

i fell like i could launch into a epic detailed rant about all of the reasons why windows media player sucks, but it's getting near my bedtime...

that said, windows media player does, in fact, suck. end of story.

circuit rider films
exeterbohemian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2006, 02:10 AM   #22
Project
macrumors 68020

Clearly, Apple need to incorporate some kind of album cover browser into iTunes.

I am astounded that they havent just bought CoverFlow, or have something as equally beautiful in iTunes 7
Project is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2006, 03:31 AM   #23
Chundles
macrumors G4

I don't think it looks better than iTunes, I reckon it looks dodgy, that same "machine gunned into the screen" windows font, no real delineation of anything, it just looks like a reskinned WMP 10.

Who cares about album art browsing, Apple could introduce a Front Row like browsing interface with a point update to iTunes 6 and take the lead again.

A big old fat "meh" going straight to Microsoft from me, again.
Old May 16, 2006, 03:34 AM   #24
mad jew
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNeedtoSwitch
I found a screen shot somewhere's else of WMA 11, and found two quite nice MP3 players on the screen.

I think that's a result of Paul Thurrott's schizophrenic love/hate relationship with Apple. I'm sure he'll decide whether he likes us one of these days.
Old May 16, 2006, 08:10 AM   #25
Sharewaredemon
macrumors 68000

Send a message via MSN to Sharewaredemon
Wow, looking at the pictures Mad Jew posted, I'm amazed at how clunky WMP 11 looks. I've been so very spoiled with iTunes. I'm sure the functionality is no better than the appearance.

Why on earth would you want your playlists ABOVE your Library?

Think about it.

I have like over 100 playlists in iTunes?

Screw scrolling all the way down to see my library?

JESUS.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod