Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nylon

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 26, 2004
The 12" Powerbook is gone. And there isn't a replacement. It seems like the the fears of mobile road warriors have been realised. Apple's advertising states that their entire notebook line has been transitioned. Can we expect a 13" MacBook Pro or is all lost?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I don't really see room for a 13 inch MacBook Pro. I mean sure, it'd get the graphics card and maybe a slightly faster CPU, but the current MacBook specs are quite competitive as-is.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Well, first of all, they're available at other online stores and will be for a while.

Second, I suspect a 13" MBP will come out shortly. Mainly because Apple likes to prove mad jew wrong.

And, finally, the new MB is, from a road warrior point of view, very competitive with the 12" PB... except for battery life.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
jsw said:
Second, I suspect a 13" MBP will come out shortly. Mainly because Apple likes to prove mad jew wrong.

That they do. :mad:

However the MacBook page at Apple.com says something about the line being complete now... Meh, I don't trust the Californian bastards anyway. :p

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
It's not that nobody noticed it...it was just that it was so bloody obvious that nobody thought it was worth commenting on.

The end of the 12" powerbook has been known for weeks if not months.

And as far as I'm concerned, the MB is absolutely a replacement for it. It's much closer in features to the powerbook than the ibook, even the base model, and the high end one has virtually everything that the 15 has anyway.

Besides the graphics chip, what is the MB missing that wouldn't make it "pro" or a replacement for the 12 powerbook?

I don't think the graphics chip is an issue since "pro" isn't defined by high end gaming. And anyone running apps like motion or other 3d things that are helped by acceleration is not going to do it on a 12 inch screen. This is a GREAT machine for pros who want portability.

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
Yeah that 'line complete' phrase does make it look like there wont be a 13" MBP.

I for one am very disappointed. I'm not disappointed about the MacBooks as to what you get for your money, in fact the processor speeds are considerably faster than what I was expecting. The extra money for black is a bit wrong but hey, its Apple. I am very disappointed that they didn't have a top end model that would replace the 12" Powerbook, i.e. with a dedicated graphics chip.

The GMA950 chip isn't that bad, I'm happy with it in my mini. However, when I want to game I can always use my PC. When I'm on the road I only have one choice of machine and I really didn't want it to be another 15" monster. I guess I'll just make do with my Dell for a while longer.

Also, I never used to like the idea of a black laptop. Saw these and first thought, ooh that's kind of cool. After looking at the 360VR, however, they look a bit like old Pismos but squashed. I know some of you like the old Pismo look but... well... its old.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
We all knew that the macbook would consolodate the remainder of the intel laptop range.

Apart from integrated graphics (which nearly all ultra portable core duo's on the market feature) it's a sparkling addition.

I mean 2Ghz. Who was expecting that? And for the price (less than the 14" ibook) your getting an ultraportable with OSX that's a damn site cheaper than any windows based ultraportable on the market...

I'm happy and I've ordered. Only dissapointment (as I was suspecting integrated graphics) was the price hike just to go black??? WTF black plastic cant cost €200 more than white????

Yeah I agree with you Spanky, the black ones DO look like Pismo's...

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
milo said:
Besides the graphics chip, what is the MB missing that wouldn't make it "pro" or a replacement for the 12 powerbook?

Whats the size comparisons? Is the MacBook the same size aside from the width?

Danksi

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson, BC. Canada
familytitle20060516.png

Apple just about says it all here... that's your lot (for now)

joshwest

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2005
I think the 12" PB is a great little machine and i honestley think if people keep talking about a 13.3" MBP i think apple will finally give in. They have in the past given the people what they have asked for.

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
Also, something to consider is that there is no longer an ultra portable that can power the 30" ACD. Ok, to most people that won't be an issue but that was one of the biggest appeals of the 12" PB, being ultraportable yet being able to be turned into a desktop with an ultra high res screen.
Sure some of you might argue that if you can afford a 30" screen you can afford a 15" MBP but that's missing the point because its not ultraportable anymore.

joshwest

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2005
I think the 12" PB is a great little machine and i honestley think if people keep talking about a 13.3" MBP i think apple will finally give in. They have in the past given the people what they have asked for.

imacintel

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2006
Ok, So we have 1REMAINING PPC Computer?...sheesh...that happened quickly.

There was every size of PB and MBP at WesrWorld computers.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
joshwest said:

And what would have to be added to add that "P"? As far as I'm concerned, a maxed out one of these IS a pro laptop. Maybe they should just call them all pro just so people don't have name envy.

THIS is a great little machine. If apple adds another laptop, it would probably only be something like an ultraportable. A mini with a 10-12 inch screen, barebones features, and max battery life. And that's a longshot.

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
Spanky Deluxe said:
there is no longer an ultra portable that can power the 30" ACD. Ok, to most people that won't be an issue but that was one of the biggest appeals of the 12" PB, being ultraportable yet being able to be turned into a desktop with an ultra high res screen.

As far as I know the 12" PowerBook could only ever power the 20" and 23" cinema displays, not the 30" (but correct me if I'm wrong).

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
No, you're right, DCV -- the 12" was never available with Dual Link DVI or a video card that could support it. And so it would never have been able to power the 30" screen.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
mkrishnan said:
Well, the family *cough* PowerMac *cough* really isn't complete just yet.

And since any additional laptops wouldn't be powermacs, there won't be a 13" mpb (whatever that would mean).

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
milo said:
And since any additional laptops wouldn't be powermacs, there won't be a 13" mpb (whatever that would mean).

Well, don't sell Apple too too short. If you look at the roll-out of the Aluminum Powerbook, the 3 models were not released immediately. When Apple says the "family is complete," it doesn't mean that it's complete forever.... It's not like Apple is swearing never to release a different model than the ones they have now. But I think that you're right that there will not be such a thing in the immediate future....

thefunkymunky

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
London
The real question here is now the 12-inch PB is no more. Is do I sell my original Rev. A. 12-incher or hold on to it. It is a collectors item after all now. :cool:

portent

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2004
Apple no longer offers a sub-5-pound notebook. The new MB is 0.6 pounds heavier than the 12" PowerBook.

And the 12" PowerBook wasn't exactly a subnotebook.

Perhaps Apple will add a true ultralight/ultrathin model to the lineup soon. They could add a docking station and call it...the MacBook Duo!

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
mkrishnan said:
No, you're right, DCV -- the 12" was never available with Dual Link DVI or a video card that could support it. And so it would never have been able to power the 30" screen.

Hmmm... you're right. That was a bit pants. I really wish they'd made the top end MacBook model dual link. It would have cost them peanuts to do and the GMA950 is more than capable of doing it. I'm pretty sure the Developer Transition Kit supported the 30" ACD although I can't find any info on google to prove or disprove it right now... my Google skills are lagging today.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.