Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gwardys

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 6, 2006
I'm really looking for a new MP3 player because my old one got stolen.
I'm not looking to spend a ton of money, and the nano isn't really my thing. I don't need much space, I just want music on the bus.

I really like the shuffles, but i'm a bit confused as to how long they will stay this way. Apple is updating all of their products, and while the attention is on laptops now, i'm not sure if the Shuffle will be updated as soon as I get it.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
You really can't go wrong with them - get the low-end one, and, if they are replaced soon, you're still not out all that much money. I like them because they're very durable.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Gwardys said:
I'm not looking to spend a ton of money, and the nano isn't really my thing. I don't need much space, I just want music on the bus.

I really like the shuffles, but i'm a bit confused as to how long they will stay this way. Apple is updating all of their products, and while the attention is on laptops now, i'm not sure if the Shuffle will be updated as soon as I get it.
The current Shuffle sounds like it would definitely suit your needs. I have one and enjoy using it -- especially on public transportation.

Get one and enjoy using it.

The 512MB is $69 and the 1GB is $99. If that is too much, a refurb should be cheaper.

Note, you can always wait for the next version to be released. But look at it this way. While you wait, you don't get to use it.

luckylisp

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2006
NY state
I don't see how they can do much to change the Shuffle really (without changing the basic premise for it - which is just a very basic, no frills, screenless mp3 player) and it sounds like the way they are now, is exactly what you're looking for, so I'd say go for it. :)

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
I'll also recommend picking up a shuffle now. There's always something new around the corner, but the shuffle is as pretty bare bones as it gets. If you don't need a lot of storage space, it's a terrific little gadget. I carry mine just about everywhere, and I don't have to be all that concerned about losing it. (Not that I'm planning on losing it, mind you...)

Play Ultimate

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2005
Just bought my daughter a refurb 512 shuffle for her birthday. I think that the total cost was about $57 delivered to my house (incl. shipping and taxes) You can save on shipping if your order is over $50 but the cost for the refurb was $49.
enjoy.

askthedust

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2003
enlightenment
shuffle

I think the shuffle is a great value. I use mine for running and my only complaint is the charging from laptop or buying the $30 wall adapter to charge without computer. it also keeps playing if the headphone jack is pulled out unlike other newer models. otherwise the like the battery indicator, ease of use, and like others have said the durability is good for my uses.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
askthedust said:
it also keeps playing if the headphone jack is pulled out unlike other newer models.

Really? Mine pauses if you pull the headphones out. And mine was one of the first off the assembly line.

zephead

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2006
in your pants
Yeah, mine pauses if the headphones are pulled out too. What they REALLY should add in the shuffle is an internal clock so as to keep track of your last played times. I heard things about at first the shuffle not updating last played and play counts a while ago, but it got fixed. An internal clock seemed kinda obvious to me, but apparently slipped right past Apple.

Otherwise, my shuffle is awesome. I could throw it at a wall and it would still look nice. I especially like using it at school and out in public, because who would wanna steal a shuffle? :D

sam10685

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2006
Portland, OR
luckylisp said:
I don't see how they can do much to change the Shuffle really (without changing the basic premise for it - which is just a very basic, no frills, screenless mp3 player)

i didn't see how they could improve the G3 iMac...

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
sam10685 said:
i didn't see how they could improve the G3 iMac...

Well no offense but both you guys are not really thinking

iMac G3
-Get a G4 chip
-more Stock RAM
-LCD
-More Ghz

Shuffle
-Black
-Better Battery life
-More Gbs

But to the OP get the shuffle its pretty darn good as is. I had one, gave to my cousin, and my grandmom help buy me a Nano. I love my nano but i love the shuffle, so i went out and got another one:rolleyes:

macjizz

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2006
Western Hemisphere
shuffle rocks

The best thing about my shuffle is the long battery life, which can be attributed to not having a display. Displays need power. No display may seem like a draw-back compared to most other players, even older players like a minidisc, but you have to realize that you will be transfering your songs to the player using a top-notch, better-than-anything-else music manager: iTunes. You will know what song you're listening to because you make your playlists. As long as you're not deaf, you shouldn't have trouble recognizing your music - simply by hearing it. I always laugh when people ask me 'how will you know what song is playing'. 'Duh...by listening to it you moron'. Not having a display is also liberating because you don't have to look at your player to interact with it. Simple controls let you keep your focus on where you're going. :cool:

sam10685

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2006
Portland, OR
zap2 said:
Well no offense but both you guys are not really thinking

iMac G3
-Get a G4 chip
-more Stock RAM
-LCD
-More Ghz

Shuffle
-Black
-Better Battery life
-More Gbs

But to the OP get the shuffle its pretty darn good as is. I had one, gave to my cousin, and my grandmom help buy me a Nano. I love my nano but i love the shuffle, so i went out and got another one:rolleyes:

...when the G3 imac's first came out, did they even have LCD's and G4 chips? after a while it was all possible. and yes, the shuffle could be WAY improved those ways. (probably make the thing smaller too...)

Marky_Mark

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2005
UK
So, back to the original post: is the rumour of a Shuffle replacement a strong one now, or not? What is the view on timescales?

Cheers

weg

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2004
nj
Gwardys said:

Have a look at the iRiver IFP series (e.g. the 895). These neat little things run on an AA battery around 25-30 hours, way longer than the Shuffle, and you can always carry a second AA battery with you. It works also with NiMH batteries. The iRiver offers way more flexibility than the Shuffle - it has a display, it can record MP3s, and it can play WMA, MP3 and even OGG Vorbis. It also has a built in radio. Support is great, iRiver regularly updates the firmware.

That said, I have an iPod 20GB and an iRiver FP 180T (my girlfriend has the IFP 895). I like both players, but I don't think I'd ever buy a Shuffle (no display, built it non-exchangable battery which lasts only 12 hours - that basically means you have to recharge it every second day).

iJawn108

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2006
Get a shuffle, the are great. I've been using mine every day and I've had it for a week. I'm 110% satisfied with it.

I've even gotten ink on it(I work in a screening shop) and it wiped off. :p

Mustafa

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2003
Shenfield, Essex, UK
My thoughts....

I got my 1GB Shuffle (on eBay) mainly to carry Photoshop files around, but I use about 25% of its capacity for music, and it's great (and I have a 60GB iPod photo).

Each morning I delete its music files, then drag on the day's podcasts, add any new tracks I've bought, and Autofill the rest.

Sometimes I do a selective screenprint of tracknames and artists (Cmd-Shift-4) to stick in my pocket so that I can look up what I'm listening to -- with 50GB of music in iTunes, I am often surprised by what comes up.

One of the joys of the Shuffle is that you can tuck it under your shirt and still operate its very simple controls. Then it's protected from snagging the headphone cable on something when you're gardening, for example. The iPod can't do this, and you really need to wear something with a pocket to put it in -- not always desirable in hot weather.

I'd like to have an indent in the Off/On/Shuffle slider to make it easier to use, and I would probably have gone for a black one if that had been available. Otherwise, I'd say it's one of my favourite Apple products. Battery life is not an issue for me.

As it's such a simple product, I can't see Apple wanting to make any major changes. It works great -- just go for it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.