Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

switters

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 26, 2006
east Coast
Do you know what logo this is??

Specifically for the large 'AMG' and "American Manufacturing group" that follows.../

Thanks a lot, need to do this for a client.

logo.jpg

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Franklin Gothic Heavy for the large letters. Medium or Book for the smaller, probably Medium.

switters

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 26, 2006
east Coast
Blue Velvet said:
Franklin Gothic Heavy for the large letters. Medium or Book for the smaller, probably Medium.

The large AMG font is not Franklin othic heavy. Check this out:

I really appreciate the effort. Any other suggestions would be much appreciated.

logo2.jpg

THE BOTTOM AMG IS FRANKLIN GOTHIC

(The top not sure)

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
switters said:
The large AMG font is not Franklin Gothic heavy.

You're right. I just said the first thing that came in to my head although the Linotype or ITC cut looks closer than what you have there which may be the Bitstream one. But I'm clutching at straws. :eek:

Injektilo

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2006
Font

switters said:

Specifically for the large 'AMG' and "American Manufacturing group" that follows.../

logo.jpg

The 'American Manufacturing Group' and address text looks very much like it's set in Helvetica Neue 55, closely letterspaced, but the AMG isn't a Helvetica variant, so perhaps it's not. It's probably a cheaper Helvetica knock off - have you looked at something like Triumvirate, Helios, Megaron or Newton?

The alternative is that the body font is indeed Helvetica, and the AMG was initially set in Helvetica 95 (which it is very similar to) but redrawn slightly in Illustrator..

ercw

macrumors regular
May 4, 2006
switters said:

logo.jpg

mmmm futura bold maybe

frankblundt

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2005
South of the border
The AMG looks like a Helvetica to me - I'd go for Helvetica Neue Black 95. It's a pretty good fit. You need to compress the M and lower its arches, raise the cross bar on the A and extend the crossbar of the G inwards.

The name looks like Helvetica also, but rounded (hard to tell if that's just the blurry image of it tho).

It's be an appalling lazy piece of logo work (if hardly unheard of) if the original designer just typed the letters in using a stock font and didn't do anything to it.

Picture 2.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.