Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

caccamolle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 18, 2005
I was just looking at the iMac, finally getting to buy one. When I price it at the Apple store the 2gb upgrade is $300; if I get the same upgrade at Crucial it is $360+. I am amazed. Am I missing something ?

TheMonarch

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2005
Bay Area
Because they get to keep the stock memory that would have otherwise been yours.

If you bought it somewhere else, you'd have your new 2GB + your current stock memory.

D34th

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2006
Connecticut
Also, Apple gives you 2 1gig sticks. Check to see if the Crucial one was 1 2gig stick. If I'm not mistaken, the iMac can't use a 2gig stick in one slot...

caccamolle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 18, 2005
blaskillet4 said:
Because they get to keep the stock memory that would have otherwise been yours.

If you bought it somewhere else, you'd have your new 2GB + your current stock memory.

great ! and what am I supposed to do with it ?

caccamolle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 18, 2005
D34th said:
Also, Apple gives you 2 1gig sticks. Check to see if the Crucial one was 1 2gig stick. If I'm not mistaken, the iMac can't use a 2gig stick in one slot...
yes I checked that and crucial gives you the same as Apple, 2x1gb.

caccamolle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 18, 2005
it seems to me there is no material price difference. which is f***g good news. The difference used to be so huge that it really was a crime to buy memory at Apple, but it was a pain to get this here, that there ...... Now I can go get my Mac with the memory I want w/o too much worries of getting screwed down low !!!!! at least, so it seems

caccamolle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 18, 2005
theBB said:
If you buy it from:

http://www.thechipmerchant.com/

2GB will set you back only $190. I've never used them myself, but came highly recommended. I don't think Crucial is a cheap source to begin with.

yes this may very well be the case. I have done no research really, but I do remember using Crucial in the past (it's been a couple of years I believe) and it was way in line with most vendors. Now it could very well be different.

caccamolle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 18, 2005
NoNameBrand said:
For the exact same RAM that is in the Mac mini and iMacs, Apple wants a lot more for 2GB of it to put into the MacBook (Pro)s.

Somewhat infuriating.

but isn't it a diff. kind of memory that goes into the Macbook ?

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
caccamolle said:
yes this may very well be the case. I have done no research really, but I do remember using Crucial in the past (it's been a couple of years I believe) and it was way in line with most vendors. Now it could very well be different.

Check DMS (datamem.com), they usually have great prices on great Mac guaranteed RAM.

caccamolle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 18, 2005
thanks guys for all the hints !

Then I have to say, what is wrong with Crucial ? are they out of their mind ? does not really matter, does it...

mmmcheese

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2006
caccamolle said:
great ! and what am I supposed to do with it ?

Keep it just in case you have problems with your machine and need to send it back to Apple?

Legacy

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2005
London
caccamolle said:
I was just looking at the iMac, finally getting to buy one. When I price it at the Apple store the 2gb upgrade is $300; if I get the same upgrade at Crucial it is $360+. I am amazed. Am I missing something ?

Here, Crucial charge £112 for 1GB DDR667 module, its ridiculous (212$) and just under double that for 2x1GB (pros $410). They are naughty naughty, I managed to get one of eBay for £82 (1GB module), but yes, Crucial are crucially expensive:p

caccamolle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 18, 2005
Legacy said:
Here, Crucial charge £112 for 1GB DDR667 module, its ridiculous (212$) and just under double that for 2x1GB (pros $410). They are naughty naughty, I managed to get one of eBay for £82 (1GB module), but yes, Crucial are crucially expensive:p

Ok it is confirmed !

oh well, Crucial shall drown in its memory !

bankshot

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2003
Southern California
In the past, I've always gone with Crucial because their prices were pretty much midrange while having a stellar quality reputation. They were still always much cheaper than the top end brands like Kingston.

However, I saw the same $360 for 2 GB and about gagged. I ended up buying a pair of Patriot brand 1 GB sticks for my Macbook at Fry's for $180. Patriot had gotten good reviews from Mac users at NewEgg. This stuff works like a charm.

For anyone who buys generic memory, I highly recommend you grab a copy of memtest and run it overnight after installing the new memory. Thia app is really good at finding memory problems, and really shows you how worthless the Apple hardware test CD is. Best way to run it is in single user mode, so a maximum amount of memory is available for testing (you'll never be able to test every last bit, but this'll make sure no other programs have locked up any extra memory).

• Reboot, holding down Command-S
  • cd /Applications/memtest
  • ./memtest all 10 -L
  • reboot

This runs the test 10 times, which took a few hours on my Macbook with 2 GB. Depending on how fast the machine is, and how long you want to leave it, you can even bump it up to more times. Mine passed with flying colors using the new memory, so I'm confident it's in good shape.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I used to get all my memory from crucial until i bough my intel imac. It waws then that I was shocked too, it being €40 more expensive than apple.

However has anyone else noticed apples upgrade price for mem with the macbook it more expensive than macbook pro.

2gb with macbook pro is €310 2gb with macbook is €410
mmmmmm .... It's the same bloody memory apple ye bunch of whores...

caccamolle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 18, 2005
yep guys, glad to see I am not along in noticing that Crucial now really really sux. I think I will start a thread on this just to make it more visible. People should be warned. It is only by chance that I decided to check their prices, usually I trusted them. I would not want anybody to get screwed !!!!

Someone here mentioned Crucial's excellent service, I have to disagree: what service ? an essential service is good pricing (all the others are accessorial, like good shipping, return policies....). I mean we are talking memory sticks here, not silk sheets ! Yes, of course, one has to make sure it is good memory and compatible, but hey !

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.