Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Spymac is claiming that the iPod Shuffle line will be discontinued once current inventory is depleted.

Spymac has primarily turned away from rumors and its current reliability is unknown. Previous rumors and speculation had indicated that the 1 GB iPod Nano would replace the iPod Shuffle. Apple has since released the 1 GB iPod Nano and cut the original price of the Shuffle.

Spartacus

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2004
I still think the Shuffle fills a unique roll in the iPod line. Even the Nano does not allow the same thoughtless portability that the Shuffle provides, and the Nano is still too expensive for some consumers. I think Apple would rather sell a $60.00 Shuffle than no $150.00 Nano, so they will keep the Shuffle around in one form or another.

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
Spartacus said:
I still think the Shuffle fills a unique roll in the iPod line. Even the Nano does not allow the same thoughtless portability that the Shuffle provides, and the Nano is still too expensive for some consumers. I think Apple would rather sell a $60.00 Shuffle than no $150.00 Nano, so they will keep the Shuffle around in one form or another.

I, for one, would like to see the Shuffle stay around... It's a thumb drive with music capabilities how I see it :) . Nano is too big for thumb-drive, and you'd have to carry a cable.

paddy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2005
TN
Its just great for running and theres no real alternative on the iPod line for those interested in using it for excerise. It will stay.

hyperpasta

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2005
New Jersey
Keep the shuffle, but maybe remove the model that overlaps with the nano's lowest model (Ex: Right now, no 1GB shuffle, but if the next iPod nano starts at 2GB, then the shuffle can move back up to 1GB)

And make it cheeappp.

I'd buy a 512MB shuffle for $39. And in a year, that'd probably be pretty easy.

crees!

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
Wishful thinking but if the shuffle is dropped and the nano replaces it maybe they're making headway for the sought after true video iPod. My guess if this is the case Apple wouldn't want to confuse customers with so many options, that being 4 different models plus different sizes/colors to choose between them. Yes choice is good but it can be excessive.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
paddy said:
Its just great for running and theres no real alternative on the iPod line for those interested in using it for excerise. It will stay.

I agree, but it wouldn't surprise me if they ditched it.

I like the shuffle for my beat it up music player. :D

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
If this is true, what happens to the great lure of the under-$100 price? Can Apple hope to offer any iPod with a screen below this price point?

If not, Apple would be giving up a market segment, namely the customers spending that graduation check from their uncle to get an entry-level music player.

fixyourthinking

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2002
Greenville SC
I say they get rid of it for compatibility sake ... it's the only iPod without a dock connector.

I think they could manage a non color Nano at a $79 pricepoint

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
The Nano is very tiny, almost as small as the Shuffle, and like the Shuffle it has no HD and is safe for shocks during exercise.

But the price point is important. If the Shuffle goes, a new Shuffle/Nano/something will replace it.

(And Spymac was once reliable for rumors? I take MR's word for it but all I remember is iWalk :eek: )

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2005
This is welcome in my books they should just drop the price of the 1gb Nano and be gone with the Shuffle.....

I have found my Nano to very tough I use it everywhere I go jogging, training, travelling and it still works great and the screen is a god send in comparison to using a shuffle therefore i see no need for it in the current lineup as it was only brought in to attract people to iTunes and make them purchase a full iPod....

ShadoW

Yonizzle

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2005
Durham, NC
nagromme said:
The Nano is very tiny, almost as small as the Shuffle, and like the Shuffle it has no HD and is safe for shocks during exercise.

But the price point is important. If the Shuffle goes, a new Shuffle/Nano/something will replace it.
I agree that if they can get the Nano's price down far enough, there's not lots of reason to keep the shuffle around, other than it has one less bit to worry about damaging.

(And Spymac was once reliable for rumors? I take MR's word for it but all I remember is iWalk :eek: )
This is the first thing that came to my mind when I saw the story. Anyone care to remind me what SpyMac actually got right?

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
of course they will drop it

I don't doubt Apple will drop the current Shuffle some day. But they will replace it it with "Shuffle II", "Son or Shuffle" or whatever. Who knows maybe something 1/2 it's size and sturdy enough to go through a washing machine cycle??? Of course they will drop it. That's not news. News be be dailts of whats to replace it and when

mproud

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2003
Pertinent or not

iPod shuffles can no longer be recycled for 10% off a new iPod. Only nanos and the iPod can.

m-dogg

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2004
Connecticut
HiroProtagonist said:
Good Riddance :eek:

why so anti-shuffle?

they serve 2 purposes very well:

1) hook people without a lot of money to spend on the ipod/itunes/fairplay/aac model, so when they eventually do upgrade to a better model they are invested in the apple model.

2) it's an excellent bare-bones, worry-free, light-as-a-feather, no-screen-to-get-scratched, exercise ipod. and often times in this scenario being sold as a second ipod to an existing ipod owner.

(obviously, I think the shuffle should remain in the ipod lineup)

ChrisA said:
I don't doubt Apple will drop the current Shuffle some day. But they will replace it it with "Shuffle II", "Son or Shuffle" or whatever. Who knows maybe something 1/2 it's size and sturdy enough to go through a washing machine cycle??? Of course they will drop it. That's not news. News be be dailts of whats to replace it and when

Ooooo, a waterproof shuffle - I like that! It's only a matter of time, kinda like the sport series of walkmans sony used to make...

Xeem

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2005
Minnesota
ChrisA said:

I agree: I think that a smaller version if the Shuffle will appear to take its place. They might keep them at 512 MB to prevent any competition with the nano, though.

Oh, and my sister's Shuffle did go through most of a wash cycle (soap and all), and it still works perfectly.

NYmacAttack

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2005
NY
m-dogg said:
Ooooo, a waterproof shuffle - I like that! It's only a matter of time, kinda like the sport series of walkmans sony used to make...

Waterproof would be a cool feature. I just wonder if there is a big enough market.

iJawn108

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2006
I was going to pick one up today but it's raining and I don't want to take the bus. Anyways I hope they make a new line of shuffle replacements.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
I love my shuffle, if they really discontinued it I'd be tempted to buy another to have around.

It doesn't really make sense to discontinue it unless they can drop the nano to the current shuffle price points. And I don't think that's possible.

The nano is cool, but too expensive for entry level and too fragile. It's great having an ipod that's cheap enough to be almost disposable.

MacBookDJ

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2006
San Francisco
I'm not sure why Apple would give away the low-end mp3 player market to one of their competitors. The Shuffle is a gateway iPod. It's also a good "second" iPod. Rumor doesn't make musch sense to me unless Apple's planning to release a Shuffle replacement at the same time.

telecomm

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
Rome
Interestingly, the Shuffle's got the best sound quality of the lot. Hope the other iPods catch up in this respect.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.