Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro

Old May 20, 2006, 05:33 PM   #1
telegix
macrumors member

Smaller lighter apple notebooks?

Do you think we'll ever see light/smaller notebooks then the Macbook 13.3"? Does everyone expect to have 13.3" macbook pro at sometime in the future? Frankly I would probably buy a macbook right now if they had it in the 12 inch size but say 3.5lbs or less..
telegix is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2006, 05:42 PM   #2
GimmeSlack12
macrumors 603

Never say never, but we will not see a machine like that anytime soon.
Old May 20, 2006, 05:43 PM   #3
khisayruou
macrumors 6502a

No and no. The notebook family is complete. I don't see anymore additions coming to the present line.
khisayruou is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2006, 07:33 PM   #4
dr_lha
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by telegix
Do you think we'll ever see light/smaller notebooks then the Macbook 13.3"? Does everyone expect to have 13.3" macbook pro at sometime in the future? Frankly I would probably buy a macbook right now if they had it in the 12 inch size but say 3.5lbs or less..
I really wish they would, but I can't see it unfortunately.
Old May 20, 2006, 08:03 PM   #5
ImNoSuperMan
macrumors 65816

I`ll second(or should I say Fourth ) all three posters.

Though there was a rumor bout such a thing, But nothing much was heard bout it since then
ImNoSuperMan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2006, 08:10 PM   #6
shrimpdesign
macrumors 6502a

Apple may release a PDA/Tablet in the future, but a sub-notebook is doubtful.
Old May 20, 2006, 08:10 PM   #7
Capt Underpants
macrumors 68030

Apple always has to make us compromise in one way or another. This time around, it's GPU and size.

It sucks...
Old May 20, 2006, 09:00 PM   #8
marchcapital
macrumors regular

now i wish i had kept my ibook g4.

EDIT: although, when apple gets their act together and fixes the heat issues with the macbook i plan to buy one. OH, and only if they offer it with the option to have a matte finished screen.

Black MacBook Ultimate 1GB RAM 80GB HD/Black iPod Video 30GB/White iPod Nano 2GB
marchcapital is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2006, 09:32 PM   #9
ImNoSuperMan
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by marchcapital
now i wish i had kept my ibook g4.

EDIT: although, when apple gets their act together and fixes the heat issues with the macbook i plan to buy one. OH, and only if they offer it with the option to have a matte finished screen.
I myself had doubts bout glossy screens. But once I saw one in person there is just bout no way I`ll go back to the matte finish iBook`s screen. Try one and see the difference
Old May 20, 2006, 09:35 PM   #10
tkidBOSTON
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimpdesign
Apple may release a PDA/Tablet in the future, but a sub-notebook is doubtful.
let me highlight the word MAY.
tkidBOSTON is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2006, 09:38 PM   #11
celebrian23
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to celebrian23
I think matte laptop screens will be filtered out. With the revision of the mbp I expect only glossy screens.

I don't expect a 13.3 inch mbp. I think the laptop lineup is complete. Yes, if you want a smaller computer with pro capabilities, you basically have to go to the 15 inch, but that's the way it has to work. POSSIBLY a tablet mac, but that's the only addition I can even consider them adding.
Old May 20, 2006, 09:51 PM   #12
marchcapital
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikas soni
I myself had doubts bout glossy screens. But once I saw one in person there is just bout no way I`ll go back to the matte finish iBook`s screen. Try one and see the difference
how do u find the glare. i know with my friends hp laptop i can use the screen to style my hair while paying bills online.

Black MacBook Ultimate 1GB RAM 80GB HD/Black iPod Video 30GB/White iPod Nano 2GB
marchcapital is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2006, 10:16 PM   #13
zap2
macrumors 604

i have to say the speed is nice but that fact has

1)Glossy Screen
2)IIG Card
3)Heavyer then my iBook G4
4) 13'' screen is really to big for my needs(a quick and portable for on the go)

Will force me to keep my iBook G4(and the fact its as bought in Dec 05)

But now i'm looking at a iMac or Mac Mini +ACD(the IGG turn me off because i plan to play halo)
Old May 20, 2006, 11:04 PM   #14
calebjohnston
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to calebjohnston Send a message via MSN to calebjohnston
The MacBook is barely any bigger than the 12" 's. I really don't see the difference. It's JUST as portable.
calebjohnston is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2006, 01:13 AM   #15
Capt Underpants
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by calebjohnston
The MacBook is barely any bigger than the 12" 's. I really don't see the difference. It's JUST as portable.
You're right. A bigger, havier laptop is JUST as portable as a smaller, lighter laptop
Old May 21, 2006, 02:08 AM   #16
direzz
macrumors 6502

in 5 years time if apple trys to make a computer less than 1 inch thin, ill jus shoot myself.

its apples ridiculous obsession with getting the mbp down to 1 inch that has caused it to be ridiculously hot.

why does a PRO laptop need to be that thin. unexcusable.
Old May 21, 2006, 02:19 AM   #17
EricNau

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkidBOSTON
let me highlight the word MAY.
I agree, we will definitely see one in the month of May.
EricNau is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2006, 02:21 AM   #18
EricNau

Quote:
Originally Posted by direzz
in 5 years time if apple trys to make a computer less than 1 inch thin, ill jus shoot myself.

its apples ridiculous obsession with getting the mbp down to 1 inch that has caused it to be ridiculously hot.

why does a PRO laptop need to be that thin. unexcusable.
I think a better question would be:

Why would anyone want to carry around a notebook that was more than 1" thin?
EricNau is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2006, 06:46 AM   #19
ImNoSuperMan
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by marchcapital
how do u find the glare. i know with my friends hp laptop i can use the screen to style my hair while paying bills online.
Wow. you should be happy then. You get a FREE Mirror with the HP laptop .

I havent seen the HP Lappys in person, But I have seen the compaqs. I agree completely with you that those screens are crap. Way tooooo Glossy. The MB screen is glossy but not like the Compaq`s. It`s much better. Even when compared to iBook screens, the MB screen looks fantastic. Definitely a step ahead.

The only problem is when you take it outside things might be a lil hard to see under some circumstances. But then, I couldnt see anything at all on the iBook screen when outside. It was way too dim/dull. So bith are not good enough for outdoor use. And MB wins hands down when indoors.

So IMO it`s much better than the dull iBook one.
Old May 22, 2006, 07:00 AM   #20
mpw

Quote:
Originally Posted by calebjohnston
True(ish) but I'm in the market and I'm comparing to a couple of VAIOs that I'd buy in a second if they ran OSX both beat the MB for portability and weight and one is practically like for like in the specs, albeit more expensive but I'm 'happy' to pay for the portability.
mpw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2006, 07:23 AM   #21
HiRez
macrumors 601

I'm more optimistic about the "MacBook Thin" than most of you are. A lot of people didn't expect to see the PowerBook 2400 line either (fantastic machines at the time). 12" screen, Core Solo at 1.6-1.8 GHz, ~.8" thick, maybe no FireWire, no Superdrive, 1 RAM slot, possibly using sub-2.5" hard drive (or drives, imagine a RAID array of let's say 4 micro drives such as used in the iPod Minis and Nanos). Doesn't seem so outrageous to me, in fact it seems a lot more likely than a tablet.
Old May 22, 2006, 09:32 AM   #22
mpw

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiRez
I'm more optimistic about the "MacBook Thin"...
I'm not bothered (within reason) how thick they make it more the footprint.

I'd be happy, over the moon in fact, if they made a notebook that was the width of the 12" PB with an 11" 16:10 widescreen even it had to be thicker than an inch. It could be done at an inch thick but if they want to give it a bigger battery and use the extra room for a telecom card or TV tuner that'd be just fine too. I'll give them up to 1,500 for it.
mpw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2006, 11:28 AM   #23
telegix
macrumors member

I started this thread a while ago.. After reading through them i've decided I should just buy a 12" powerbook.. The price on ebay is very good at this point.. They don't run hot, does everything I need it to and is small.. I need to travel with it and couldn't give a hoot about running windows at all.. It's also lighter and smaller then anything they have today..
telegix is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2006, 11:48 AM   #24
dylanemcgregor
macrumors member

Since Apple made it relatively easy to run XP on their hardware I'd really expected my next computer to be a Mac, but the weight, battey life, and glossy screen have really put me off. My four year old Gateway only weighs about 2 lbs by itself, and still weighs less than the Macbook when you throw in a dock with an optical drive and an extended battery. I really expected the Macbook to come in around the 4 lb. mark, like similar sized systems from Fujitsu, Sharp, and Sony.

Sorry for whining, I'm just venting my disappointment. I'm not planning on upgrading until the end of this year, so I'm still holding out a sliver of hope that Apple will release something a bit smaller by the time I'm ready to buy. I'm going to start a Masters in Fall of '07, so a Mac tablet by then would be much appreciated.
dylanemcgregor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2006, 11:54 AM   #25
EGT
macrumors 68000

I'd be sweet if Apple made a Macbook without a CD drive then beefed up the battery or added a second hard drive. You could install XP on the other drive with bootcamp and not worry about XP killing your Mac installation, not that it would on a single drive but still, mixing OS X and XP?

No no no
EGT is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro