Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 20, 2006
I'm going to keep this really short. First off, my MacBook (white 2.0ghz) exhibits the 'moo' phenomenon that we have all heard about. This is sure to get annoying in any quiet atmosphere such as a library or bedroom.
Secondly, the 'b' key fell off of my MacBook. I like the feel of the new keyboard design, however when you see the two TINY, FRAIL plastic clips on the underside, one can reasonably assume that this could turn into another big quality control dilemma.
I've had my MacBook since Tuesday evening and will be taking it back first thing Sunday for a quick (hopefully) exchange.
I've already seen some other posts regarding the 'moo', but has anyone else had the keyboard problem with their MacBook?

dmetzcher

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2005
NJ
Good luck with the exchange. They might just replace the keyboard.
Insist on an exchange, if that's what you want, and threaten to just return the thing. You can do so, for a 10% return fee once the box is opened, and they don't like it when people return things. If you wind up returning it, and they charge you the 10% fee, just call your credit card company and do a chargeback on the fee, stating that you returned faulty merchandise and the fee should not apply.

Deepdale

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2005
New York
dmetzcher said:
If you wind up returning it, and they charge you the 10% fee, just call your credit card company and do a chargeback on the fee, stating that you returned faulty merchandise and the fee should not apply.

Have others had real problems with CC companies eliminating that fee once it has been assessed, even though the reason seems like it should justify removal?

macenforcer

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2004
Colorado
dmetzcher said:
If you wind up returning it, and they charge you the 10% fee, just call your credit card company and do a chargeback on the fee, stating that you returned faulty merchandise and the fee should not apply.

Did this with PCConnection over a crappy vaio I returned. It was no problem.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
macenforcer said:
Did this with PCConnection over a crappy vaio I returned. It was no problem.

The trouble is if you do this will Apple even do business with you in the future?

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
dmetzcher said:
They might just replace the keyboard.
FWIW No can do. The MacBook's KB is integrated into the casing, unlike the previous model iBook and Powerbook's which had easily replaceable keyboards. They made it so the HDD is easily replaceable in the MB though...

B

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Building the keyboard into the MacBook's frame is going to be the dumbest mistake they ever made. I've had my keyboard replaced before. If it breaks, and I don't have Applecare, do they expect me to pay like $400 or some obscene sky-Apple-high price for a new case when they really should have just made the keyboard replaceable for around $100??? :confused: And what about Applecare fixes? Are they going to take everything out of my laptop and put it in a new casing if my keyboard is faulty?

It's stupid.

Apple Corps

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2003
California
Abstract - I would ditto your thoughts. When I worked in high tech many years ago we forced design engineering and production engineering together at the START of projects to better reflect warranty / repair needs. Too much ultra thin design emphasis and eye candy - where is the manufacturing excellence?

someguy

macrumors 68020
Dec 4, 2005
Still here.
moo? Are you serious? That's hilarious!!

I'm sorry, I know it's not funny to those who are having the problem with their new 'books, but c'mon, moo!? That's just funny anyway you look at it! I wanna hear!!

MOO!

</immaturity>

I was also thinking of buying a BlacBook (my nickname for black MacBooks) but I'm becoming afraid to buy any new Apple product, especially a notebook!
moo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 20, 2006
Thanks for the comments/suggestions. I think I'm gonna take out the 2gb ram upgrade i popped in there just so they don't have any room for complaint when I bring it in. As far as the question about whether the key felt different. No,... everything seemed to be working just fine... until I presssed it one time and the bottom left corne of the B key got stuck below the plastic base of the interior surface. I pressed it again, and it popped right off. Now, it actually looks like all the fix would consist of is giving me a new B key... the only part that SEEMS to be broken is one of the clips on the underside of the actual key (which is just a small, flat, square of plastic with 2 clips to hold the key down). I will keep you guys posted when I get back a little bit later this afternoon.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 20, 2006
The guys at the Apple store @ Mall at Millenia Orlando replaced my MacBook with hardly any questions. They took it to a genius, the genius declared 'yes this key has fallen off' and they let me exchange my 5 day old MacBook for a brand new one. In regards to the 'moo' i recieved the response 'moo? what moo? what does it sound like'... in all likelyhood theyre trained to play dumb on that issue. In any case, I'm typing this on my new MAcBook, and I'm happy.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 20, 2006
Apple definately made things right and mistakes do happen. Not many of the happy owners get on a make posts about how trouble free their system is and what a great time theyre havin with it.... because theyre too busy enjoying their great system. My new MacBook doesnt have any problems, there is no moo, and I'm havin a great time with it. For anyone out there on the fence my advice is: BUY ONE! Don't worry about problems, if you get a dud, just take it back to apple and get another.

BKKloppenborg

macrumors regular
May 2, 2005
La Mesa, Ca
stefan15 said:
Man Apple's reputation is just getting shredded!

I still don't mind dealing with them even though in last 1 year

Brand new Ipod Died after 1 day, had to exchange it. (No probelms)

Brand new Apple Powerbook 1 year ago got it in mail turned it on DIED (Exchanged it)

So even if Apple has come issues, I still don't mind it as long as they keep their good return policy/Exchange policy.

Plus try dealing with Onkyo USA :mad: *&#&(*@&*($&@(*$&@(*$ Sorry lol

Ryan5505

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2006
CA
Wet powerbook

Last year I purchased a PB 1.33 my first mac. As I was taking my book bag out of my car the powerbook fell out of my bag and into a puddle about 2 inches deep. I only owned the laptop for five days. I let the laptop dry for about 12 hours and then tried to boot up, the screen flashed and then nothing.
I went to the apple store and said I woke up and the machine would not boot up. After an hour they told me that they had found water in the machine and it would be a minimum of $900 for a deeper repair, to replace the airport card, dc board and processor.

I then conctacted apple care through email and stated the situation. The next day I had a reply that my new powerbook 1.5 would be arriving the next day and to send the old one back to them.

If I can distroy a powerbook with water, I am sure you can exchange your macbook for a missing key.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.