Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thidranki

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 7, 2005
Virginia
I recently phone Apple (1-800-MY-APPLE) to cancel my order of a 17" MBP. I decided to buy in the retail store instead of waiting two weeks. When I explained I wanted to cancel, Apple offered me $150 to keep my order! I said that I was just buy in the store, and asked to keep the discount :D, only to be dissapointed (it was worth a try, wasn't it?) . Anyways, I thought this might be something to keep in mind when ordering your next computer.

h0e0h

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2004
West Monroe, Louisiana
I just ordered my 17" MBP from apple.com and need it for summer school. When i called to inquire about its June 8th shipping date, the CSR just assumed i was going to cancel, and offered my $125US off, plus my edu discount, plus free 2-3 day shipping. I decided to keep my order since my closest apple store is 288 miles away, and best retailer 134 miles away.

wako

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
wow... I want to try to play mind tricks on CSR the next time I get a mac...

wako

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
Well it just worked for me yesterday, when I bought my new 2.0 White Macbook, iPod, and Printer...

I had originally thought my Mac store didnt have anymore in stock (overheard a couple days ago the employee saying they were out of stock on the white ones). So I ordered it online. I went to the mall later on and found that they did. So i came back home, called them up to cancel. The guy on the phone told me if I kept my order, he can take 60 dollars off (on top of the edu discount) and give me 2 day shipping :)

Obviously I didnt get to be as fortunate as the others because I didnt go Pro with my MacBook, but hey, saved me money! :)

FYI: There must not be much of a wait right now because my MacBook seems to be shipping too right now and still worked for me. Just do it before it ships, which takes a day :)

Acehigh

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2006
Thidranki said:
I recently phone Apple (1-800-MY-APPLE) to cancel my order of a 17" MBP. I decided to buy in the retail store instead of waiting two weeks. When I explained I wanted to cancel, Apple offered me $150 to keep my order! I said that I was just buy in the store, and asked to keep the discount :D, only to be dissapointed (it was worth a try, wasn't it?) . Anyways, I thought this might be something to keep in mind when ordering your next computer.

Just wondering if you had any other discounts with your order? Or did you pay retail.

wako

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
It definately doesnt hurt to try or even ask. In fact if you really want to know how my conversation went exactly when I did it was this...

CSR:
"Hello, how may I help you today?"
ME: "I was hoping to cancel my order, because I rather not wait and just head to the Apple store and pick it up"
CSR: "Sure, may I have your order number please?"
Me: "(blah blah blah)"
CSR: "Mmm, yes we can cancel it if you like..."
Me: "Is it possible you can give me a discount if I kept my order?"
CSR: "Umm, let me see what I can do..."
*waits about a minute while I hear him typing away*
CSR: "I can give you $50 dollars off if you keep with your order?"
Me: "Thats it? Nothing else? Uhh.."
CSR: "Well, let me see what else I can do" *waits another minute* "I can take off $60 dollars and bump your shipping to 2 day shipping."
Me: "OK!!!"

So yes, I actually asked them if they can do anything for me. I felt that he was simply going to just cancel it which is why I asked. If he said no, I would have just waited till my local Apple store had some in stock. So just try it, it wont hurt, you can only benefit from trying ;)

jvan

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2006
but you can't cancel a upgraded Mac right? b/c i'm planning to get 1 gig of ram with my macbook

j26

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
Paddyland
jvan said:
but you can't cancel a upgraded Mac right? b/c i'm planning to get 1 gig of ram with my macbook

Just go stock and use the savings to get 2 gigs (obviously I mean also including the arm and leg you were willing to give Apple for the 1 gig)

wako

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
jvan said:

well its impossible to cancel after a certain amount of time has passed, once your shipment has been shipped or has been built. I did it within 2 hours after I ordered. So just do before the time comes where it is impossible to cancel the order.

But give it a shot if you guys are trying to buy a system.

coal

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2005
Portland, OR
Thanks, OP!

I just placed an order for a black macbook through the education store and was offered an $85 credit to keep the order!

Basically my order worked out as follows:

$1399 Macbook + $99.95 Canon Printer + $269 ipod - $85 -$100 printer rebate - $179 ipod rebate -$42 cash back (through third party shopping website) = $1361.95.

Very cool!

aye5882

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2006
that's a nice little hustle. lol.

just have a question tho. when you guys ordered online w/ your student discount, did they charge you tax? because the deal they gave you when you tried to cancel would only nulify the tax and would end up costing about the same, right?

i was actually thinking of driving to delaware (i live in baltimore) and buying it there w/ my student discount and save around $125 in tax.

wako

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
aye5882 said:

just have a question tho. when you guys ordered online w/ your student discount, did they charge you tax? because the deal they gave you when you tried to cancel would only nulify the tax and would end up costing about the same, right?

i was actually thinking of driving to delaware (i live in baltimore) and buying it there w/ my student discount and save around $125 in tax.

lol, i was thinking about the same thing for tax. I live around DC, however the tolls, gas, and the stress of I95 made me gladly pay for the tax.

coal

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2005
Portland, OR
aye5882 said:

I live in Oregon. :)

X5-452

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2006
Calgary, Canada
Boo. I wish I had seen this thread a few days ago. My MacBook has already shipped and is going to land on my doorstep Monday. I would have called up and threatened to cancel had I known I would have gotten a discount. I did call up yesterday though to inquire about the free 2GB iPod nano promo that I missed out on by 3 days. They could only give me $100 a 2GB nano, or the full rebate off a 4GB one. I wonder if I threaten to cancel because of it if they'll just send it off for free...

Elmo

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2006
Well i just bought my first macbook pro today 15" 120gb (comming sometime around the 29th) and saw this "guide" a couple of days ago i figured i'd give it a go. The guy first offered 2 day shipping but i was able to ask if there was anything else he could throw in and i got $70 taken off too guess since it was the lower end model but hey it saved me some money and ill get it faster :D

joebells

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2005
X5-452 call up and say you are going to refuse the delivery if they don't give you the free ipod nano. Its as simple as that. They should either cave or you can refuse the shipment and the macbook will go back and then you can reorder and get the free nano and printer.

joebells

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2005
This whole thing is going to go to crap before too long. Apple won't let everyone just get 70-150 off a mac. It for one costs them money to have the guy on the phone taking your scam call and its also taking money away with the discount.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.