Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 24, 2006, 09:12 PM   #1
wille0n
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2006
Macbook Pro Overheating Problem (again)

Okay. I'm a new macbook pro user. I've been happy with it, except for the heating problem. I mean, I can live with it. After reading all this mumbo jumbo, I just got confused. As a mac AND computer (in general) newbie, this is my question: What can we do? other than opening up our notebooks (for computer illiterates as myself), is there anything effective we can do to have apple fix this? I downloaded the new SMC update and I don't see much change. I realized the May 20th movement happening and all, what were the results? I'd just like to be informed. thanks a bunch!
wille0n is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2006, 11:14 PM   #2
Eniregnat
macrumors 68000
 
Eniregnat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: In your head.
Let Apple know that your MBP is running to hot. It burned you, and is this normal? Be sugar like, not abusive, and don't take no for an answer. Document the calls, and who you talk to, and if they arn't doing what you need to be done, hang up and get a different phone tech.

There is no reason to cook your gonads with your MacBook Pro.
Eniregnat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2006, 09:35 AM   #3
Eniregnat
macrumors 68000
 
Eniregnat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: In your head.
Gizmodo Article on how it may not be just a thermal paste issue.
Eniregnat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2009, 12:11 AM   #4
marty99919
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Lockup/Overheating Issue Resolved

I bought my Macbook Pro about 6 months ago and have used it everyday. Recently it started to occasionally lock up for no reason. Nothing would work and the only option was to do a hard reset by holding down the power button. After reading a lot of forums and paying attention to what was going on with my Macbook, I found what I think is the issue, at least in my situation. I am running Parallels with Vista in addition to everything else I use on the Mac. In my case the situation only happened after I boosted the energy saving option to higher performance and running Parallels. What I found is that the Macbook Pro runs hot and overheats. I solved this issue by installing a program called Fancontrol - http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/23137 - It installs an Icon in your system preferences and allows you to dictate the minimum fan speed and control the fan speed slope to some degree. Since I have installed this, my Macbook runs cooler and I have yet to experience another lockup. I will keep you posted if this does not ultimately resolve my issue, but so far, so good.
marty99919 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2013, 07:31 PM   #5
TresMusical1020
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by wille0n View Post
Okay. I'm a new macbook pro user. I've been happy with it, except for the heating problem. I mean, I can live with it. After reading all this mumbo jumbo, I just got confused. As a mac AND computer (in general) newbie, this is my question: What can we do? other than opening up our notebooks (for computer illiterates as myself), is there anything effective we can do to have apple fix this? I downloaded the new SMC update and I don't see much change. I realized the May 20th movement happening and all, what were the results? I'd just like to be informed. thanks a bunch!
It's not bad if it heats up a little. Have you been on in for a while all in one time before? Mine heats up when I do that. But it should be okay. (and mine gets REALLY hot) But if you're Macbook Pro heats up so much that you feel you can no longer deal with it, call Apple, or go to Apple and ask them why it is doing that, and how it can be fixed if it can be fixed.
TresMusical1020 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2013, 07:35 PM   #6
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by TresMusical1020 View Post
It's not bad if it heats up a little. Have you been on in for a while all in one time before? Mine heats up when I do that. But it should be okay. (and mine gets REALLY hot) But if you're Macbook Pro heats up so much that you feel you can no longer deal with it, call Apple, or go to Apple and ask them why it is doing that, and how it can be fixed if it can be fixed.
You just responded to a 7 year old post. The OP hasn't been on this forum since that was posted. It's very likely they don't even own the same Mac now.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2013, 10:13 PM   #7
r0k
macrumors 68040
 
r0k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Detroit
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
You just responded to a 7 year old post. The OP hasn't been on this forum since that was posted. It's very likely they don't even own the same Mac now.
This is why some forums auto-close threads that are a year old. Just sayin...
__________________
-r0k
Macbook Pro (late 2011) + iPad mini + iPhone5 + (GS4 for work)
Got a scan to ftp scanner? Enable ftpd in Mavericks!
r0k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2013, 10:14 PM   #8
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by r0k View Post
This is why some forums auto-close threads that are a year old. Just sayin...
I'd vote for that! Too often such threads are resurrected by spammers or for useless posts that add no value to the threads.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Macbook pro overheating? Kris-bal MacBook Pro 9 Yesterday 11:43 AM
Macbook pro 13 2010 overheating no disk markobb MacBook Pro 0 Jan 26, 2014 11:40 AM
MacBook Pro Overheating jhachtel MacBook Pro 19 Mar 26, 2013 12:55 PM
MacBook Pro with external display overheating smellalot MacBook Pro 1 Mar 18, 2013 05:48 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:27 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC