Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

noelister

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2005
Sun Baked said:
Which should have started happening to these (just another) MacBook Temperature threads awhile ago.

Starting to feel like the old freeipod threads, just so many they are annoying now.

I think it is a good post. He is just trying to help others out.

TallShaffer

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2006
I didn't have the plastic on mine, I just spent 5 minutes starting at that portion to find plastic, started to scrape at it, too.

Nothing.

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
Some MacBook Vents Blocked, Causing Heat Issues?

The mac web has taken note of an observant MacBook owner who found at least part of the reason why his MacBook was running so hot. Apparently, some MacBooks are shipping with the rear vent (between the base and the screen hinge) blocked by a piece of plastic. Removing the plastic allowed air to circulate correctly and lowered operating temperatures dramatically.

While some users report having found the plastic, others report not finding the plastic, so mileage may vary.

pianodude123

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2005
in the internet
This probably doesnt apply to the Macbook Pro as well?

Maybe thats what the extra 900$ is for. For more thorough checking so that silly stupid errors like these dont happen any more.

I assume we will see a post in their support section soon about this issue.

Thats a shame.

chrisgeleven

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2002
I am going to check mine when I get home.

Has anyone here found this yet? Is it really easy to notice or do you really have to look around for the piece of plastic? How easy is it to remove?

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
longofest said:
While some users report having found the plastic, others report not finding the plastic, so mileage may vary.

Er... actually, I can't find anyone else other than the original blogger who reported having found the plastic film on their vents...

Abulia

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2004
Kushiel's Scion
longofest said:
"Some users?"

Name one other than the original blogger who wrote the post and shared the pics. I've seen no reports that this -- like the black MacBook paint flaking -- is anything other than a single, isolated incident.

NinjaMonkey

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2003
Maryland
Some people over at Digg have commented they indeed have the plastic on their MacBooks so it is not just one person with this problem.

It seems the majority of MacBook owners however don't have the plastic.

teksmex69

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2004
tx
Sun Baked said:
Which should have started happening to these (just another) MacBook Temperature threads awhile ago.

Starting to feel like the old freeipod threads, just so many they are annoying now.

don't read them.

t

MacVault

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2002
Planet Earth
How soon can we expect a rev B MacBook? Would that be the "6th month" cycle? Or is Apple known to fix problems in a month or two after rev A?

Davenport

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2006
Abulia said:
"Some users?"

Name one other than the original blogger who wrote the post and shared the pics. I've seen no reports that this -- like the black MacBook paint flaking -- is anything other than a single, isolated incident.

There are a few people that left comments on Digg.com that had the plastic as well.

Macnoviz

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Roeselare, Belgium
quigleybc said:
Sigh....

when will these heat issues for the new Laptops subside? Everyone gets all excited about the new books, then they all get burned....

How bad is it this time? :rolleyes:

This is not a heat issue. The Macbook is as hot as it is allowed to get, but these reports are not about a flaw in the design that burns your legs, but a simple error of some employee not removing all plastic from the laptop he is assembling. Maybe because of the time pressure, if you believe Thinksecret, who first reported May 9, later May 16 due to shortage of stock. This leads to a lot of stress, especially with Steve Jobs breathing down your neck.

By the way, who is rating this positive? I know it also gives you a solution, but since when is an easily solvable problem a good thing?

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Update: Meanwhile, due to the controversy surrounding the excess Thermal Paste, MacDevCenter disassembled their MacBook Pro to see if reducing the Thermal Paste would indeed cause a significant change in the running temperature. Contrary to other anecdotal reports, they found there was only a 2 degree difference in temperatures before and after the extensive disassembly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.