Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
I've been completely happy with the 384 MB of RAM on my TiBook 500, but since I've almost switched over entirely to X I'm starting to see some slight limitations. I want to add more RAM but am not sure if I should jump for another 256 or wait it out and spend for the 512 chip.

I want to know what u guys think (esp. if u have a TiBook and experience with the different vendors)? Size, vendor, etc...

thanks in advance! :p

britboy

macrumors 68030
Nov 4, 2001
Argentina
I'm in the same boat. Tibook 500 w/384 Ram. Does just fine for most things, but X really eats up as much ram as you can throw at it! As soon as i've save up a little spare cash i'm changing the 128 meg stick for a 512. The way i see it, i'm going to have this computer for quite a while, and there's little point in throwing away (or going through the hassle of selling a second-hand ram on ebay), when i can just max out at least one of the slots and not have to worry about whether i should upgrade it furthar in the future.

IndyGopher

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2001
Indianapolis, IN
my Ti 500 has a pair of 512's I got from OtherWorld Computing. You kinda missed the boat on cheap RAM, but they're still pretty reasonable. Mohawk Memory also has pretty good prices.. we buy from both of these companies on a pretty regular basis.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
exactly!

u know exactly what I'm looking for then...

I do like OtherWorldComputing....I've had great experiences with them the few times I've ordered....

buffsldr

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2001
go 512

I am a fan of mohawk mem myself. I checked their prices recently and it was about $200.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Re: go 512

Originally posted by buffsldr
I am a fan of mohawk mem myself. I checked their prices recently and it was about $200.

Sweet... I bought a pair of 256MB chips (222 spec) when I got my rev a TiBook last year. It has run sweet ever since. I am debating replacing one of the 256 with a 512, but want the 60GB IBM drive first.

I talk with Travis at Mohawk all the time (at least once a week) and order memory for the company I work for from them. I also know the owner of Mohawk, they are all nice people there and very helpful. If they don't have it, they can get it.

buffsldr

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2001
TiBook

AlphaTech,
How do you like that TiBook rev a? Smalldog.com is selling the 400 G4 Tibook, rev A for $1499. For that same price I can get the 600Mhz/100Mhz bus G3 iBook. Can you make a case for the TiBook? Do you have any recommendations? You can e-mail me offline if you don't mind through my profile. I am just a consumer looking for a laptop that will have life in it down the road. I am concerned that the G3 may be fine now, but in a year, software will require (or certainly benefit significantly from) the velocity engine. Any thoughts are welcome.

Beej

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
I recently upgraded my PowerMac G4 400 from 384 to 640 MB RAM and I really can't tell much of a difference. It's better, but not a lot...

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
you can never have too much ram in the tibook with os 9 or os x, but on my windows 98 based laptop, 128 mb is the optimal amount since much more on my old laptop actually slows down the machine (but that is a limitation of windows 98...first edition)

...but with macs built now, i have not heard anything bad about too much ram from my apple techie friends

yet another reason for the superiority of the mac hardware and software

go apple inc!

btw - eyelikeart, i took your que!...jh

erova

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2002
washington dc
hey eye, i have the same book as you and added a 512 chip to my 256 back in the fall for abour 125 at crucial...

sometimes i have to remind myself that when i'm in X and runnin photoshop the screen re-drawing itself is the OS issue, not the RAM....i'm counting on that problem to be resolved as soon as the new carbonized flash, dream and photoshop are released...what kind of work are you usin your book for?

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
my TiBook...

looks like I did miss the boat on a good deal for RAM....prices are definitely up from what I've been reading others paid...

I use it for freelance work when I can (not entirely heavy in Photoshop, but enough to warrant the extra RAM) and for personal use (mp3's, internet, practicing web design & internet surfing/chat). Like I said earlier, it runs great, but I've noticed some performance lags during different times while multitasking (which I don't usually find in OS 9).

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
"kill that snake by the head"

I have my Pismo with 256MB and I would like to take it to 1G in just one step. May be the computer wont be faster, it would be a bit faster for shure but... if I want to sell it in the futer would be easyer and with a G3 500Mhz processor in it this machine rocks and I want it to rock for a while.

My sugestion is to save some money and drop as much memory as you can, do not drop small ammounts because you may need to buy some more in no time. That is my advice, as we say in my country "kill that snake by the head" and forget about memory problems.

Ensign Paris

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2001
Europe
I find the most reliable RAM to be kensington but I am not sure if they even exist now!

I have two 512 chips in my 500 and one 512 and one 256 in my 667.

BTW, the reason for me owning two is that the 500 is my personal machine and the 667 is the machine work supply me with, they offered i accepted!

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
I agree with Indy Gopher.

I bought the TiBook rev a and added a stick of 512 from OWC.
The price was good and I have had no problems with it.

Ensign Paris

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2001
Europe
I expect Ram to steadily rise in price for quite a while and then drop quite a bit, but not as low as it has been!

Ensign

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
well...

I think I'm going with Other World Computing since I've been satisfied with the past few purchases I've made through them...

and I also guess I'm just going to bite the bullet and order it after Mardi Gras tomorrow....

I'll keep u guys posted.....and thanks! ;)

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
i got my lowprofile SODIMM 512MB chip for my iBook from OWC, and i was completely happy and still am. It came before my iBook did lol. anyways such a special chip was still only 160 at the time.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
Re: jefhatfield!

Originally posted by eyelikeart
it's great to see u back! looking forward to seeing u on the posts more from now on....

:p he he ha...

i am back here to taunt ambitious lemon with double posts, that's all and make useless posts, like this one and many others which are not designed to make people think because the last thing i want to do after a day of being a techie or a computer teacher is to talk more techie stuff

if you want to talk about pin assignments, the current state of telecommunications grad degree programs, the farm vs mit and ai junk, processor architecture, and IEEE stuff, be my guest, but macrumors is my hobby and i like to talk nonsense speculation because about half the time on these forums, someone actually gets it right

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
u know, that's what I was getting criticized for by some of the users here when I was nearing 1000 posts....whatever....this is fun for me as well... ;)

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
the ones who criticise like to pick easy targets, like apple and bill gates

targeting a user that has made five posts does not have the same sort of impact

eyelikeart, you are at the top and that can be a lonely place and i saw your name somewhere in a mac newletter (or IT newsletter ...i just can't quite remember the publication) or something not related to macrumors.com so you are also becoming famous outside of macrumors and maybe after 10,000 posts they will know you by name at macworld

...and steve jobs will chase you around moscone center with a frying pan

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
Originally posted by jefhatfield
eyelikeart, you are at the top and that can be a lonely place and i saw your name somewhere in a mac newletter (or IT newsletter ...i just can't quite remember the publication) or something not related to macrumors.com so you are also becoming famous outside of macrumors and maybe after 10,000 posts they will know you by name at macworld

...and steve jobs will chase you around moscone center with a frying pan

u are kidding?!?! :eek:

what kind of article was it about.....crazed Macintosh fans? :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.