Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

elisha cuthbert

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2006
Melbourne
Ok early this morning (at about 10o'"clock) my laptop screen dimmed and then none of the pages i was operning would work , i looked around an saw that my ipod was no longer chargin and the only working clock in my room was on my ibook,so i checked the internet stuff andn found that all the green lights had dissapeared and that i was in the grips of a blackout in melbourne so i had no internet no power or charging ipods so. seeing as i had nothing to do i went shopping, and lo and behold when i got back home the power was back on. so i checked all the internet stuff and found out that my router wasnt working, no green lights no nothing while the switch just above it had everything lit (router D-link DI-704UP Switch DES-1008D) so i started fiddling and nothing i could do would work adn then my dad came in and started yellign that no computer had the internet and that we needed 1 computer working with internet & printer (and solitare ( hes addicted)) so i unplugged the cable from the modem to the router and plugged it directly into the pc, then i was thinking that i might need to use the internet before D-links support opens on monday,

so im thinking that if i unplud the cables from teh pc and run the cable from teh modem to the switch then everything will work sweetly (please correct me if i am wrong) but would this work or not.
PS reply asap im using a pc and i cant take it anymore
blue screened 3 times b4 i could get this message up>>>>>>>>>help
sorry about the big chunk of text but im a bit disorientated

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Sounds like the power supply on the router has fried from the power spike. If your ISP modem is presenting an ethernet interface, you'll be limited to only one computer being able to get an IP address down that cable, so simply plugging in a switch won't help. However, is the PC equipped for wireless? If it is, you could leave the PC cabled to the modem and enable Internet Connection Sharing on it so it acts as a router/wireless access point. Then just search from the iBook for the wireless network, attach and browse the web as usual.

It's a dirty solution, since you need to keep the PC powered on for it to work, but it's only until you get a replacement router.

Fleetwood Mac

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2006
Canada
Same thing happened to my dlink router after a surge, about 5 months afer we bought it. We left it off for a couple days than it magically started working again. It smelled rather odd though (burnt), so we sent it back, and DLink sent us a new router within three days.

elisha cuthbert

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2006
Melbourne
ok everyone I was wrong it wasn't only a blackout it was actually a blackout followed by a spike so that was probably what buggered the router up
but shouldnt a surge protector stop that????

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.