Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Amuraivel

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2006
I have tried to find a service repair manual on the web for the MacBook Pro, but to no avail.

Where can I find this document; IBM's website has all these docs, but to my knowledge apple does not.

Second, do any of you know of an outlet repair person that sells MacBook Pro service parts (i.e. for those of us without warranty....)

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Amuraivel said:
I have tried to find a service repair manual on the web for the MacBook Pro, but to no avail.

Where can I find this document; IBM's website has all these docs, but to my knowledge apple does not.

Second, do any of you know of an outlet repair person that sells MacBook Pro service parts (i.e. for those of us without warranty....)

How would you be out of warrany when it hasn't been around for a year?

Amuraivel

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2006
Now, who on earth would take apart their shiny new MacBook Pro in a fit of technolust exastasia injuring their iSight in the process...?

In any case,

A. Is there a manual? Where could I get it?
B. Is there a place to get the camera without some repair guy charge me 80USD per hour to fix something, that I just need the part for?

treblah

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2003
Have you checked iFixit's MBP guide?

I can't find it in the service manual parts list :confused:

Am I missing something here?

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 3,726

Kingsly

macrumors 68040
Amuraivel said:
Now, who on earth would take apart their shiny new MacBook Pro in a fit of technolust exastasia injuring their iSight in the process...?

In any case,

A. Is there a manual? Where could I get it?
B. Is there a place to get the camera without some repair guy charge me 80USD per hour to fix something, that I just need the part for?
According to my service manual (sorry, I am not allowed to distribute it without Apple legal breathing down my throat) the iSight is integrated into the display bezel. This means that the only way to replace the iSight is to replace the entire display bezel.
My 2¢: pay the guy the $80/hr.

Jedda

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2003
As Kingsly has said, the Service Manual (Service Source) is a private Apple resource, and you will have trouble finding it. The iSight is integrated into the top bezel, and as such, will need a new display housing.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Kingsly said:
According to my service manual (sorry, I am not allowed to distribute it without Apple legal breathing down my throat) the iSight is integrated into the display bezel. This means that the only way to replace the iSight is to replace the entire display bezel.
My 2¢: pay the guy the $80/hr.
The service manuals were available online at one time.

http://www.applerepairmanuals.com/

Sadly, the web site owner doesn't want Apple legal on their case.

jimmyhd

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2008
This thread is the Exact Reason I will NEVER recommend a MAC.

Not only are they too expensive to start out with. Not only do you NOT know that the brand new iMac 17" that you just bought is going to be discontinued a week later. Then find out that you could've waited and got a 20" model for almost the same money had you been given even a hint it was going to happen.
I won't even mention the first iPhone pricing debacle. Not only all that, but when your Mac finally dies, (and it WILL die), you can't do anything yourself.
You're forced to either buy another one, or take it to Apple store, who admitted to me that they really use the little shop around the corner. I can find countless repair manuals on a $30,000 vehicle, but you can't get a lousy book on a $1800 Mac??
For a company that promises you FREEDOM from Windows, they sure lock you in and then threaten to sue you if you try help yourself or someone else.
Bash PC's all you want, but when my motherboard dies, I'll be happy to shell out the measly $100 and be back in business.

Sorry for the rant, but I've had 2 iMac's and 3 MacMini's that had Logic board failures. And was told "costs more to fix than to buy new ones". 2 months after warranty runs out!?!? :mad:

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
when my motherboard dies, I'll be happy to shell out the measly $100 and be back in business.

You don't honestly think that if you were able to purchase a motherboard that it would only cost $100. Especially on the MB and MBP where the CPU is actually soldered to the motherboard and not socketed.

You might get better results by posting in the correct forum.

jimmyhd

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2008
You don't honestly think that if you were able to purchase a motherboard that it would only cost $100. Especially on the MB and MBP where the CPU is actually soldered to the motherboard and not socketed.

You can get replacement motherboards for $60 online for PC's under 4 years old. Their cpu's are normally modular.
But anyway. I'm sorry for posting here. I was in search of somewhere to get a repair manual for an iMac with a bad logic board. Didn't want to pay the guy $600 to fix it and wanted to do it myself. A search of the forum brought me here. I don't think posting in any forum is going to get me a manual for fear of being sued by apple.

krye

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2007
USA
You can get a top case assembly on eBay for cheap . (~$50 bucks) Most of the time the iSight assembly is still included.

jimmyhd

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2008
If one does want to obtain all Service Manuals the AppleCare Technician Training has all of them along with good study material to get certified. Thats where I got my manuals. Luckily my work purchased this for me.

Hey, Thanks Brand. I think this is what I've been looking for. My company will probably buy this for me too ;) It'll save them money in the long run.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.