Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is a black MB worth it?

• Yes

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • No

Votes: 93 61.2%

• Total voters

jesusphreak

macrumors member
May 24, 2006
Absolutely not. I own a white one and I've seen the black ones more than once. The black ones are more expensive but look a lot cheaper.

bassman

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2006
Eugene, Oregon
Was the U2 iPod worth the extra money?

It's a total status thing. Some people like to show that they can afford the extra cost to be different. It's like custom paint jobs for their cars. Does is make the car go any faster or get better gas milage? No, but it's nice to look at.:cool:

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
lexus said:
Just out of curiosity why did you order a white one?
Price/Performance+Psychology

With the white 2.0 MacBook I could max out the HD to a 120GB and order 2GB 3rd party RAM... with the black one I might have had to choose less RAM or a smaller HD... or gotten a even worse conscience for getting a brand new Mac I strictly speaking cannot afford at the moment, nor really need since my iBook seems to have overcome the problems it had recently...

Then again I didn't really need the internal Superdrive (prefer to use an external tray loader instead of the internal slot loader) or additional 0.17GHz (I guess the speed difference is barely noticeable), either, and chose the 2.0 out of purely psychological reasons.... ;)

sewerhobo

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2005
Even though I answered yes, I purchased a white MacBook. If I did have the extra money, I probably would have ordered the black version after seeing one at CompUSA. It does look slick, but that's for each to decide.

I'm glad though, that I ordered white. I don't think I could stand the trackpad issues (RE: oils) that are much more apparent on black rather than white.

-M7-

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2006
I have a blackbook and there is no oil issue on the trackpad. Maybe I have strange non-oily hands?

All my interior is black, so I didn't really have a choice :D
I think it's worth it, if you only like the color black.

CoMpX

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2005
New Jersey
rob5 said:
Or some people prefer black instead of white.

Exactly. Purchasing a black MacBook doesn't necessarily mean that you bought it just so say..."Hey look at me! I have a black MB cuz I'm special and can afford it!"

Most people will just buy the black one because they prefer black, that's all.

SheriffParker

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2006
The land of love
Not worth it at all...

The $150 price difference for the exact same product in white is rediculous. They could have at least upgraded the video card or gave it a 2.16 ghz processor.... hell even more RAM would have been some kind of incentive. They really had a chance to make a mini MBP but squandered it on a 150 dollar paint job.

Superdrive

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2003
Dallas, Tx
If you thought you were going to pick up someone by having the "sexy" black MacBook, simply max out a white one and impress that special someone with more cash in the pocket. Black reminds me of PCs anyways.

interlaced

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2005
I don't think it's worth it at all. I've only ever known Macs to be all about white and silver (never paid attention when Pismos were around), so black looks cheap to me and reminds me of Dells and other PCs.

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
Yes. The PowerBook G3s were black with a white Apple logo. I missed that look.

fwiw, I got a black macbook today (http://applegoddess.org/gallery/v/macbook/). A paint job for just the casing would have cost me $3-400 from colorware or other companies. A complete black laptop w/touchpad and keyboard was cheaper than that paint job :) That's what happens after having too many white laptops that I wasn't so fond of and thinking about many many potentially warranty voiding case mods for the ugly white iBooks.

Black is my favorite (lack of a) color, and it's a gorgeous laptop. NO MORE WHITE!!! WOOOHOOO!!! :D :D :D :D

plinkoman

macrumors 65816
Jul 2, 2003
New York
I happen to like the look of the white one much more than the black one. It certainly wouldn't be worth it for me to spend an extra $150 on something I like less. ;)

jackc

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Do you think the premium for black will eventually disappear? I don't know if there has been anything similar to this in the past.

My totally baseless speculation is that in a year from now, you'll be able to get either color for the same price (or a very small difference if there is really a cost issue for the different finish). They're starting off by squeezing those willing to pay.

Josias

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2006
Get a PB G3 Wallstreet to show off a black pile'a poo, and get yourself a spankin' new white MacBook. If you wanna show off, get ColorWare to paint your MB in an even more special color. (Blue is cool).:cool:

Piarco

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
Londinium
If its down to pure performance then no its not worth it obviously.

But for asthetics then to some it most definitely is. Everything I have which is "mobile" is black - mobile phone, nano, iPod, their headphones - and I'd like to maintain that. Most of my "static" items are white - iMac, Stereo etc. So I'll be getting a black MB. If the extra cost is of zero consequence to me then why not? :D ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.