Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brdoco

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 19, 2003
Anyone know how to toggle the Insert/Overwrite mode when typing? Is there a hot key combo?

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
You know, I don't think there is one on an iBook/PowerBook keyboard. You may be able to map it to one of the function keys though in the System Preferences>>Keyboards and Mouse panel.

Sorry if that's not much help.

dr_lha

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
dynamicv said:
You know, I don't think there is one on an iBook/PowerBook keyboard.
There's not one on the Apple Pro keyboard that comes with iMacs and PowerMacs either.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
dr_lha said:
There's not one on the Apple Pro keyboard that comes with iMacs and PowerMacs either.

I confess I've never looked for one there. Looks like brdoco may be out of luck with this one.

portent

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2004
There isn't one, because Mac applications don't support type-and-delete text entry.

dr_lha

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
portent said:
There isn't one, because Mac applications don't support type-and-delete text entry.
Strickly speaking, no, but I use several apps on Mac that do support overwrite. Microsoft Word for example, but you do it by clicking the "OVR" box at the bottom of the page. Also emacs, which I use alot, supports it, but I have to get toggle it from the command line rather than by a key press.

Quite annoying actually.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
On the regular Apple Keyboard, the "help" key is the "insert" key. However it only sometimes acts that way. If you notice on new PC keyboards, the insert key have been moved.

TEG

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.