Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tag

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 29, 2005
So today I hooked up my powerbook to a VGA monitor I had lying around just to play around with it. Here's the problem though, it seems I can't play DVD's at full screen on the external monitor with Apple's DVD Player while having an application in the foreground on the laptop itself. As soon as I go to bring an application to the foreground on the laptop screen, DVD Player snaps out of fullscreen mode on the external monitor.

This bugs me as I always use DVD Player for watching DVDs. Now I tried VLC (as I use it for everything other than DVDs normally), and VLC doesn't do this. VLC allows me to watch fullscreen on the external, while still interacting with the laptop screen. I know I'll probably get people saying well just use VLC then :D, but I for some reason I just like DVD Players controls alot better, so does anyone have any clue on why DVD Player does this or perhaps a work around?

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
tag said:
So today I hooked up my powerbook to a VGA monitor I had lying around just to play around with it. Here's the problem though, it seems I can't play DVD's at full screen on the external monitor with Apple's DVD Player while having an application in the foreground on the laptop itself. As soon as I go to bring an application to the foreground on the laptop screen, DVD Player snaps out of fullscreen mode on the external monitor.

This bugs me as I always use DVD Player for watching DVDs. Now I tried VLC (as I use it for everything other than DVDs normally), and VLC doesn't do this. VLC allows me to watch fullscreen on the external, while still interacting with the laptop screen. I know I'll probably get people saying well just use VLC then :D, but I for some reason I just like DVD Players controls alot better, so does anyone have any clue on why DVD Player does this or perhaps a work around?

what resolution is the vga monitor set at?

x86

macrumors regular
May 25, 2006
Dearborn, MI
Just don't run it in full screen mode. You should be able to strech the DVD window out to nearly full screen, thus eliminating your problem. At least I think...

tag

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 29, 2005
superbovine said:
what resolution is the vga monitor set at?

It's at 1024x768 (which is the max), its an old Gateway monitor.

x86 said:
Just don't run it in full screen mode. You should be able to strech the DVD window out to nearly full screen, thus eliminating your problem. At least I think...

Yeah I suppose that is one way, though that kind of ruins the fullscreen effect. I mean I'd prefer not to have the lit up outline and top part of the application showing, which it would if I just stretched it. I mean the point of fullscreen is that you have nothing else showing.

tag

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 29, 2005
superbovine said:
try changing the resolution upper & lower along with refresh rates.

Ok I tried different resolutions at different refresh rates. DVD Player still acts the same. I'm assuming that this is a function of the DVD Player app and not my monitor. Has anyone else tried using an external monitor to view DVD's at fullscreen with DVD Player, while working on another app on your main laptop display? Does it always snap out of fullscreen mode for you too?

At this point I think I'll probably just have to stick to VLC for viewing movies on the external monitor. Which isn't bad, but it annoys me that DVD Player won't allow this.

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
If i remember i will check this when i get home when i hook up my powerbook to my external monitor. But i do not think that it snaps out of fullscreen on me like that.

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
I don't know if snaps into screen, but I know with my PB i could watch full screen mode on my external 19" vga and my 20" tv using the correct cables.

khisayruou

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2004
I am using my PB hooked up to a tv via DVI. DVD player plays at fullscreen just fine and I am using safari/word on the PB.

Using latest Tiger 10.4.6, DVD player 4.6.5

tag

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 29, 2005
khisayruou said:
I am using my PB hooked up to a tv via DVI. DVD player plays at fullscreen just fine and I am using safari/word on the PB.

Using latest Tiger 10.4.6, DVD player 4.6.5

Hmm thats odd then maybe it's a configuration problem, but everything seems to be up to snuff. I have the latest updates as well. I'm using a DVI-VGA adapter though. Maybe thats the reason, though I wouldn't see why it would be, but I don't have a strait DVI external monitor to test with, just this old VGA one.

I'll definitely have to test this out with my other powerbook this weekend (my sister borrowed it this week so I won't have it back for a few more days).

tag

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 29, 2005
eva01 said:
You do have

"remain in full screen when DVD player is inactive" checked correct?

Hah ok wow, how did I miss that. Thanks so much. I will now commence slapping myself in the face once, no two times. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.