Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What will be the next MacBook's graphics chipset?

• Stick with the GMA950.

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Update to the GMA965.

Votes: 22 78.6%
  • Give the MacBook a dedicated graphics chipset. (If so, which one?)

Votes: 5 17.9%

• Total voters

lewion

macrumors regular
May 31, 2006
Sydney
Balli said:
Btw, does anyone have a price difference, specifications or power consumption guide, etc. about the new GMA965?
It would be on par with the price of the current gma950. specs are beautiful... I think it's going to beat the fx6200 of nvidia and the ati x1300 - x600. Without a doubt it is much better than the previous version...

More details have emerged about the graphics core - the latest in the GMA series - Intel intends to integrate into members of its upcoming 965 'Broadwater' chipset family. A presentation slide said to have come from the chip giant shows the part will support not only Shader Model 3.0, but also version 4.0.

The leaked slide comes via Chinese-language site HKEPC. The G965 chipset's integrated GPU will support DirectX 10 via the Windows Graphics Foundation (WGF) 2.0 API. It will also work with OpenGL 2.0. The hardware-accelerated vertex shader capabilities missing from the current GMA950 graphics core and its predecessors will at long last be built into the G965's GPU. It will also do 180° screen rotation support in hardware.
The GPU will be able to grab up to 256MB of main memory as its frame buffer - double the limit of the current GMA 950 core. It will support 16x anisotropic filtering, up from 4x with the GMA950, and raise the current floating-point precision level from 24 bits to 32.

The G965 will be able to do more video post-processing work than its predecessor can, and while it will enable decoding of H.264 and WMV9/VC-1 HD video, it will still require help from the host processor.

Other tweaks, the slide reveals, include the latest version of Intel's display power-saving technology, improved Z buffer testing, and the addition of occlusion filtering to speed 3D scene rendering.

g965-2_81LQbpsUkQOf.jpg

This is the kind of info you'll get from the best persons who always try to help

coopdig

macrumors member
Feb 29, 2004
So -- any idea when this upgrade might take place in the macbook?

I ask specifically because I'd like to get a macbook before returning to college this fall (early september), but from what I hear it sounds as though this won't find its way into the macbook until sometime after that...

What do you all think?

Balli

macrumors 6502
Original poster
coopdig said:
So -- any idea when this upgrade might take place in the macbook?

I ask specifically because I'd like to get a macbook before returning to college this fall (early september) but, from what I hear, it sounds as though this probably won't find its way into the macbook into sometime after that...

I'm so hoping that this chipset will be used in the Rev. B iteration of the MacBook.

steelfist

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2005
i'm thinking of geforce go, from 6200 up to 7400. or from ati, x300 or x1300 and x1400.

just to let you know, i dream big. is there anything wrong with that?:)

considering that the graphics card has been recentlly updated to intel integrated, i doubt that a new graphics solution will come. apple has been known to rarely update their notebook's graphics cards.

i however, will look forward to an update to g965 or dedicated, and i hope it's the next macbook revision that will have it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.