Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theranch

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2002
Atlantic City area
interesting

It was interesting but the replies to that story are full of ignorant peecee users who still think that peecees are the only way to go. In a school setting I think that ease of use and the best investment should be the priority but as most people know...the school admin is dumb and probably don't know what the mac can do for them and their students. That is a major stumbling block that Apple needs to get over.

Durandal7

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2001
Here's the case with my local school district:
Voters give the district $10 million for bus service so more students can be bused and high school can start later.The district cuts bus service and keeps the start times.

Voters give the district $50 million to equip the district with computers. The district decides that they need to funnel $10 million of it for a recording studio and then install 2-4 200mhz Intergraphs w/ 32MB RAM in the classrooms.

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2002
I just had a great laugh at the guy who was saying he has been Anti-Mac Pro-PC for 22 years (or since 1980)
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Gelfin

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2001
Denver, CO
Re: interesting

Originally posted by theranch
It was interesting but the replies to that story are full of ignorant peecee users who still think that peecees are the only way to go. In a school setting I think that ease of use and the best investment should be the priority but as most people know...the school admin is dumb and probably don't know what the mac can do for them and their students. That is a major stumbling block that Apple needs to get over.

The word you're looking for is "ironic," and not in the Alanis "I don't own a dictionary" Morrisette sense of the word.

1) Woman posts an article about how education is getting short changed by idiots who automatically shout down Macs as an option.

2) Woman's article is shouted down by idiots, using the EXACT SAME ARGUMENTS used by the idiots referred to in the article.

You would think if somebody wrote an article that said, "People who say X are wrong because of the following reasons [...]," that the people who say "X" could come up with something better in their defense than just saying "X" more loudly.

cleo

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2002
Tampa Bay Area, FL, USA
look!

From one of the "TalkBack" posts:

"I have worked in schools running nothing but Macs and believe me, put them under the control of kids and they will crash and have as much downtime as any PC. If the problem is software, I don't care; I have restore CD's I've made for every configuration and I can have Mac or PC back up and running in 20 minutes. But if it is hardware related, I will have the PC back up in less time."

Look! An alternate universe really does exist! Maybe if we can find a way to get there we can finally get our hands on an iWalk!

(duck):D

Taft

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Chicago
Personal school experience.

My father is the principal of the highschool I attended. He is most certainly pro-mac and has fought tooth and nail to keep the existing Macs in the classroom and get new ones there.

He has not really succeeded, though. Most of the other administrators are pretty Mac ignorant and use the arguments the article refers to. Worse, the network administrators for the school district are extremely anti-mac and pro-peecee.

As an example, a couple of years ago my dad asked me to come down to the school and help an administrator with a few Macs that weren't working properly. The woman had no clue about Macs a said that the other administrators didn't either. I had all of the computers up and running in an hour or two (they had some horrible Novel server backbone and it was new and frustrating to me. I don't know why people use it!). Anyway, the level of understanding those administrators had about Macs was appalling. With three nicely equipped Mac labs in the school, they were sorely unequipped to handle those beautiful computers.

BTW- after I helped the administrator, she commented on how easy it was to get them back up and running. :) I guess maybe people can see the light if properly educated. Happy ending in sight?

Matthew

Six

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2002
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
My school was invaded two years ago by dell, and most of the macs are gone now... WHY GOD WHY?? these dells suck big butt! viruses are everywhere.. we get weekly announcments warning the teachers not to use email because there are problems. they are slow as hell!! the server and the processor itself. none of the disk drives work anymore, and we have hundreds of these bitches! now that the system is so slow, they are regulating what we can do on the computers.. does it work? no. we are now forced to have a 15 MB limit for files, or else we get kicked off the system... A WHOLE 15 MB? i say screw that! us in web design classes and such use 15 mb at the drop of a hat. Everyone at our school hates these computers, PC nerds or Cool Mac people alike. Our schools are screwed... thanks a bunch dell, windows, and also to the cheap ass school board... ya got what ya paid for!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.