Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
I thought I would update you guys on my game codename Slice and how its coming with developement. So far its 0.0.7a. It works pretty good too. I took a movie snapshot so you can see how it functions. I'm not sure what the storyline will be or who the characters are or anything. Basically I'm just setting up the engine, but if you guys would like to donate graphics, that'd be greatly appreciated. It's an RPG so yeah.

Here's a movie clip:
Once YouTube is up I'll post it there. Wish me luck with this project.

Attachments

• PROJECT1ScreenSnapz001.mov.zip
    210.5 KB · Views: 206

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I started making a little RPG once, I made a simple battle engine then got bored, I have no idea where it is now (if it even still exists).

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Looks pretty good (for 0.0.7), nice smooth-scrolling background. So what language(s) are you using and how are you doing the engine, is it OpenGL or Quartz, are you using SDL or what?

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
HiRez said:
Looks pretty good (for 0.0.7), nice smooth-scrolling background. So what language(s) are you using and how are you doing the engine, is it OpenGL or Quartz, are you using SDL or what?
SDL, the new video still hasn't been processed hmm... The new video background is better bc I can make graphics and place them with 1,2,3,4 etc.

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtwCW5syqlg

Check it out, -- now I'm warning you this video is slow because I was compiling a DVD right behind it so it's going to seem slow. I'm also going to upload the file so you guys can download it and try it out. It's 800+KB right now, that's like nothing compared to what I think it WILL be. I'd rather use PNG's but BMPs are ok for now.

LINK TO THE FILE: http://rapidshare.de/files/22156357/CSlice-0.0.9b.zip.html
This is the link to the beta game, you can try it out.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Hey pretty cool, exciting to see it coming along, now let me ask you about performance. How many of those little sprites could you have animating smoothly at once (and on what hardware)? And with collision detection?

It looks like your code is straight C. I'm curious to find out more about SDL because I don't know much about it. It's simply a cross-platform C API for graphics? Is it specifically a game library or is it more generalized for any type of graphics/sound? Quartz is a nice library but it's relatively slow. OpenGL is fast but somewhat low-level. Something that makes the best of both, has game-specific builtin routines, and is cross-platform would be ideal. I'm curious what Game House uses for their games, because they're prolific and their games all look very consistent and pretty good (in that 2D "puzzle game" kind of style).

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
HiRez said:
Hey pretty cool, exciting to see it coming along, now let me ask you about performance. How many of those little sprites could you have animating smoothly at once (and on what hardware)? And with collision detection?

It looks like your code is straight C. I'm curious to find out more about SDL because I don't know much about it. It's simply a cross-platform C API for graphics? Is it specifically a game library or is it more generalized for any type of graphics/sound? Quartz is a nice library but it's relatively slow. OpenGL is fast but somewhat low-level. Something that makes the best of both, has game-specific builtin routines, and is cross-platform would be ideal. I'm curious what Game House uses for their games, because they're prolific and their games all look very consistent and pretty good (in that 2D "puzzle game" kind of style).
I'm actually programming it in C++ bc I can declare variables where I need them, which is good in my case for a few items. I'm going to try this project out on my dads iMac G3 333mhz, and see how it runs. It does run smooth, but I was compiling a DVD when I made the video, I'll try and do it again today.
SDL is Simple DirectMedia Layer: http://www.libsdl.org/index.php it can be used for all different kinds of programs - games, photos, etc. etc. etc. Its a strong API that works on Linux, Unix, Mac, BEOS, Windoze, etc.

I could have many many many sprites with SDL, and have them move as if it were a 4 player, 16 player etc. game.

http://www.aaroncox.net/ is where I have received tons of help on this game. I suggest those who like programming video games or who want to and know C or C++ to go there and learn it. If you guys want to try my game, be sure to install SDL on your Mac. I'm going to start-up a Windows XP and compile it for PC's so if there are PC users they can try this out as well. BTW I use XCode on Mac and Dev-C++ on PC.

Anything else I forgot?

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Will this be freeware? Will it be completed?

I started work on an RPG last year. I made the engine, pretty solid too. I grew tired when it came to developing the areas and other enemies. Out of all the kinds of games I've made RPG's tend to be the most dropped. I hope you stick with it. make a killer freeware/shareware RPG for OSX. THEN port it to Windows later ;)

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
raggedjimmi said:
Will this be freeware? Will it be completed?

I started work on an RPG last year. I made the engine, pretty solid too. I grew tired when it came to developing the areas and other enemies. Out of all the kinds of games I've made RPG's tend to be the most dropped. I hope you stick with it. make a killer freeware/shareware RPG for OSX. THEN port it to Windows later ;)
Good q?, I'm going into Computer Science as my Major so I hope I complete it. I want it to be freeware, but I'm also considering shareware, but OS X needs RPGs (2d ones) so that's why I want to go with Freeware. I'm a single person working on this, so it'll take a lot longer than expected.

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
Lixivial said:
No Universal; only PowerPC? :(

Anyroad, you're right. We do need more 2D RPGs. I look forward to any progress you make on this.
When I finally update my XCode I'll do a Universal

EDIT: Downloading XCode 2.3 right now, I will figure out how to do a universal binary and upload that.

darkwing

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
I'll be starting up an rpg in a couple of weeks that I am about to solicit help on graphics wise. I need anime character portrait designers as well as sprite and level editors. I've already got jimmi here who said he'd help wtih backgrounds. My RPG will be 2d walking but the battles will be 2d side scrolling action oriented like Tales of Phantasia. Should be fun. I'm going to do it in C++ with SDL with a couple friends.

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
darkwing said:
I'll be starting up an rpg in a couple of weeks that I am about to solicit help on graphics wise. I need anime character portrait designers as well as sprite and level editors. I've already got jimmi here who said he'd help wtih backgrounds. My RPG will be 2d walking but the battles will be 2d side scrolling action oriented like Tales of Phantasia. Should be fun. I'm going to do it in C++ with SDL with a couple friends.
I love TOP, its a great game.

--Hey does anyone know how to build UB's in XCode?

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
slooksterPSV said:
--Hey does anyone know how to build UB's in XCode?

Click a checkbox when you compile :p That's what Apple has to say about it anyway

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
slooksterPSV said:
When I finally update my XCode I'll do a Universal

EDIT: Downloading XCode 2.3 right now, I will figure out how to do a universal binary and upload that.

Report back if you can get it working right. I can't seem to get SDL things to compile correctly using the latest SDL with Universal.

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
DavidLeblond said:
Report back if you can get it working right. I can't seem to get SDL things to compile correctly using the latest SDL with Universal.
I can't compile binaries. I don't know how to, I tried adding the Architecture using the Info box on the project, but the build settings still set the environment to Native PPC, so I don't know how to make it i386 compat.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
There are two things you need to change to compile Universal binaries.

1. Open your Project Settings (select your poject, which should be the topmost icon in the lefthand list), and in the Build tab, set Architecture to "PPC" + "i386" (check both boxes).

2. In the General tab, change Cross Develop Using Target SDK to "Mac OS X 10.4 (Universal)".

Also, I think it may be a bad idea to enable Universal for your Debug config, especially if you have Zero-Link enabled (it would only run on the machine you compile it on anyway), so I'd suggest making the change to just your Release config.

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
HiRez said:
There are two things you need to change to compile Universal binaries.

1. Open your Project Settings (select your poject, which should be the topmost icon in the lefthand list), and in the Build tab, set Architecture to "PPC" + "i386" (check both boxes).

2. In the General tab, change Cross Develop Using Target SDK to "Mac OS X 10.4 (Universal)".

Also, I think it may be a bad idea to enable Universal for your Debug config, especially if you have Zero-Link enabled (it would only run on the machine you compile it on anyway), so I'd suggest making the change to just your Release config.
http://rapidshare.de/files/22239216/C_Slice_.zip.html --the link again

I did try that, but I needed one thing. I had to update my SDL (I was using 1.2.9) and I had to update my libraries and all that. I finally got it though. Thank you, thank you. Tell me how it goes you guys.

EDIT: A picture of it saying UNIVERSAL

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    61.1 KB · Views: 84

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Hmm... installed the framework and downloaded your demo, but no luck. Dies immediately without even half a dock bounce. MBP, 10.4.6 (of course), heap of RAM.

Also tried running it under Rosetta, also nothing. Good luck with the project, though.

redpixel

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2006
Sweden
Hi

Your game seems cool!
Unfortunately, I too have problems running it. Trying to
run it from the Terminal gives the following output:

ZeroLink: could not load .o file: /Users/sbarn/Programming/SDL/CSliceUniv/build/CSliceUniv.build/Debug/CSliceUniv.build/Objects-normal/ppc/SDLMain.ob
ZeroLink: could not load .o file: /Users/sbarn/Programming/SDL/CSliceUniv/build/CSliceUniv.build/Debug/CSliceUniv.build/Objects-normal/ppc/cMenu.ob
ZeroLink: could not load .o file: /Users/sbarn/Programming/SDL/CSliceUniv/build/CSliceUniv.build/Debug/CSliceUniv.build/Objects-normal/ppc/main.ob
zsh: bus error ./CSliceUniv

Same symptoms as Makosuke, it just dies without any info.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.