Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
This MacCentral article quotes an Apple official regarding future hardware.

The report indicates that Apple will not introduce new hardware in the coming months... since they have just upgraded their hardware lines over the past few months.

Of particular note, Joswiak notes that the G4 has a long life ahead of it... somewhat confirming the general rumblings that we won't see G5 until MWSF 2003.

keithcobbett

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2002
Hillsborough, NH
I believe this story, but I feel real bad and confused. Why would they release this info if they never talk about hardware releases before an expo???? I was really hoping for another PB update, but hopefully in NY we will see it. NY definately could use some positive excitement.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by whfsdude
If they want to attract new users they need to have good machines. I hope that was not a fact, maybe it was more of his opion.

They can't update machines every 2 months...

let's be realistic.

arn

U

Unregistered

What about a light update of the iBook?
The logic board supports G3s with up to 700 MHz.

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
The ibook has just been updated (Larger screens). Anyway, they cant use IBM's new chips until the powerbook gets its G4 chips updated to match.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
Originally posted by keithcobbett
I believe this story, but I feel real bad and confused. Why would they release this info if they never talk about hardware releases before an expo???? I was really hoping for another PB update, but hopefully in NY we will see it. NY definately could use some positive excitement.

well, a lot of what is here are rumors and in some cases, clever misinformation...perhaps from apple inc

unclepain

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2002
Va Beach VA
this isn't new...

Jobs did the same things for the Paris Expo last fall. Everyone got all torqued off when he didn't announce flat panel iMacs at MWNY last summer. To head off any disappointment, he announced the same thing that this marketing fellow did. No New Hardware. Basically they are telling all the rumor-sluts to not get their panties in a wad over the next expo. It's funny though, cause I guess their new policy is to tell us when stuff isn't coming out now, which leads us to believe that if they don't say anything then something cool is coming. Or, even worse- maybe they will start a regular policy of over-hyping the expos ala San Francisco when anything new is coming. That would suck.

"Coming Next Week! The Most Super fantastic computing device EVER!!!!"

{Unclepain gets all excited.... sleepless nights.... dreams about uber fantastic world changing device that propels Apple to the forefront of computing world in profit, marketshare, and quality.}

Next week.....

"Apple Announces iPod with 7 gig hard drive!!!!!"

{Unclepain sighs}

whfsdude

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2002
Washington DC
Originally posted by udannlin

And you are suggesting that the Dual 1 Ghz is not a good machine? I don't get some of you.....

Well in a couple months the Dual 1 Ghz won't be a good machine, if you a pc user looking at specs it's not going to look that great + they got usb 2.0 so that means we need new firewire.

J

jperales

why not?

My G4 400 has a 10 GB hard disk. Few months later de same model had a 20 GB one. Why no 1,13-966-833 in late march, 1.33-1-900 in May, 1,6-1,33-1 in July...and so on?

gotohamish

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2001
BKLN
then what?

Okay, we'll believe what we're told...

THEN WHAT is happening? The Japanese love their tech, and we've just been told there's no new hardware... so will it be the 10GB iPod at the same price, with a cut to the 5GB perhaps, a new device, a (dare-I-say-it) PDA-type thing.

No new "CPUs" means one thing, but hands up who thinks Apple would let their only eastern Expo go off without something of a bang. I'm not in the mood for 90mins of Photoshop 7 bakeoffs.

H

U

Unregistered

Originally posted by whfsdude

Well in a couple months the Dual 1 Ghz won't be a good machine, if you a pc user looking at specs it's not going to look that great + they got usb 2.0 so that means we need new firewire.

I suppose if we are playing the number game against PC users we will never get anyone to convert. Apple tries real hard to get out of this never ending marketing stream roller against Intel and AMD. People will buy Mac's for its style, ease of use, compatibility and stable software. If yon want to convert people who are looking for the new P4 2.4 GHz 800 Mhz RDRAM machine, just forget about it.

As for the firewire issue you mentioned, Firewire 1 is better than USB 2 in may ways. No drivers neccesary for components, compatible with most, if not all, digital cameras, and even for the fastest peripherals, the 80Mbit difference is another one of the marketing schemes USB is using to pull your leg.

evanmarx

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2001
Switzerland
buy buy buy ... support apple

Originally posted by keithcobbett
I believe this story, but I feel real bad and confused. Why would they release this info if they never talk about hardware releases before an expo????

They posted this note maybe because the incoming orders for new quicksilvers are not as good as expected and maybe they heard from the apple stores that many customers are holding back their purchases because of possible G5's ... so (apple) knowing what's ahead is right in posting this info, so people will buy the new quicksilvers NOW which are bloody great machines ... and btw, all those self called mac heroes still running on g3 233/333/400's... dammit .. go and get some new machines .. it's worth every penny and is good for your health and APPLE's ...

blackdog

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2002
Montana, Indiana
the only sure things...

While I believe it was wise of Apple to throw some cold water on the rampant speculation of the last few months (especially with regard to the G5), it occurs to me to that there are still questions that haven't been answered in this announcement.

What's a "new CPU"? Apple will introduce no "new CPU's" in the coming months. Does that mean no speed bumps as well? Or are they referring to CPU class (ie., no new series chips ala G5). Does coming months include MWNY? Or is 5 months beyond the window?

I saw nothing in the article that necessarily excluded G4 Apollo revisions, new digital hub devices, reworked motherboards, etc. Or even faster Apollo's moving into the TiBook, for that matter. No, the only definitive statement that seems to have been made is "no significant hardware modifications in Tokyo, and no G5 before MWNY". And until I hear any truly reliable information, I don't expect the G5 before MWSF 2003, at the earliest. But that doesn't mean there won't be other new Apple products or announcements through the rest of the year, at least based on this interview.

kidtronix

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2002
Brooklyn, NY
noooooooooooooooooooooooo

this must be a joke! the fact that the pb got a revision with the dual slot is just retarded, they must upgrade it! i don't wanna buy the current versions :mad: :mad: :mad:

blackdog

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2002
Montana, Indiana
and one more thing...

I've only ever seen G5 specs scaling to 1.4 or 1.6 GHz, yet people seem to keep saying it will take us over the 2 GHz mark and into the lead of clock speeds. Fuggedaboutit. If it runs at 1.4 Ghz, but it's a faster machine, I'm all for it. The proof will be in the total package performance, and clock speeds (as has been said over and over and over ad nauseum) are irrelevant. So maybe we can stop asking for Ghz this and Ghz that. I dunno, maybe we need a new measurement of performance to beg for, but enough with the Ghz.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
I don't believe it...

I don't believe the article...

how can Apple expect to stay in the running game at all if they don't have something newer coming? I know it says within the next few months...

but not till 2003 for a G5.....that sounds insane! :eek:

blakespot

Administrator
Jun 4, 2000
Alexandria, VA
Re: I don't believe it...

Originally posted by eyelikeart
I don't believe the article...

how can Apple expect to stay in the running game at all if they don't have something newer coming? I know it says within the next few months...

but not till 2003 for a G5.....that sounds insane! :eek:

Did you miss the release of the new new pro towers a few weeks ago?? And the new iMac a month or so before that?? Do you honestly expect new hardware from Apple every other month?

What kind of sense does that make?

blakespot

spikey

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2001
I wouldnt take much notice of this information, myself.

If moto can get enough yields of faster G4s then they will produce them. Especially seeing as these new G4s seem a hell of alot better than the older ones.And seeing as these new chips seem a much more refined G4, i am expecting them to scale clock speed better.

But that is possibly not what is holding apple back. If moto are going to produce chips above 1Ghz then apple needs DDR mobos, if there arent DDR mobos then performance is significantly hampered on a 1Ghz+ chip. So it could be that the lack of DDR mobos will be what prevent apple from releasing a new G4.
The new powermacs are cheaper than they were before, so possibly a new mobo is possible. Apple knows that the Powermac line needs DDR, they wont piss about waiting for the right moment while the PC opposition get further ahead.

As for the powerbooks, well they dont need DDR. So apollo based mobile chips arent stifled by that. Again powerbooks are falling behind the competition, seeing as this is a market where apple kicks ass, i dont think they will wait around until they fall behind.

From now till the G5 is introduced, apple wont do as much strategical releasing of products as they have been doing over the past few years. They are behind the PC competition. They need to be near the competition to get the apple name out there before the G5 is released, this will give the G5 a chance.
Apple has shown this by releasing the imac a little prematurely, sure its good value, but its a little expensive for a consumer machine.

Right now Apple doesnt care, they just want to catch up.

U

Unregistered

mwny is more than a few months away

The Dual 1Ghz are excellent Machines, but their standard Ram still isn't DDR, Their Bus Speed is still 133, and the G4 won't be new forever.

But I'm not concerned. MWNY is more than a few months from now, imho. They need to sell the machines they have now, and by July, I bet the first G5 will come out. It just makes sense. People expected flat imac in NY, they came 6 months later. People Expected (or hoped for G5's) in SF, They will come 6 months later. I also think it's just bad marketting to have a consumer machine with a G4 when the PRO end is only running G4. Why buy a PowerMac G4 933, if you could just by an iMac G4 800? They'll upgrade the highend. I'm not concerned in the slightest.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.