Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nermal0

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 31, 2006
Germany
My Macbook whines and moos, and I wonder what's the best thing to do now. After reading many posts here and observing it myself, this is how I understand it:

The moo: actually consists of two noises, a "...mmmmMMMMOOOOO" when the fan spins up and a "OOOOOooooo...." when it spins down. As fan speed is linear to CPU temperature on the Macbook, it spins up at around 65 degrees. When it reaches more than 80 degrees, it sounds like the Macbook is preparing for takeoff :) and the CPU clock is cycled down to protect the CPU from overheating. But the moo just happens in the threshold between 65 and 69 degrees. The CPU heats up by a few degrees, the fan spins up, cools down the CPU in about two seconds, and the fan turns off. That's the moo, and I believe Apple could fix it by setting two instead of one thresholds in the SMC: one threshold (e.g. 65° C) for fan spinup and one threshold for spindown (e.g. at 55° C). This would split the moo in half and make it appear a lot less often. The annoying thing about the moo is not the sound itself, but the fact that it happens every few senconds. So I believe this could be fixed in software.

The whine: as I understand it, it happens when the Core Duo idles. The sound comes from the left side of the Macbook and the power adapter. All the "fixes" people have found cause a little CPU load to prevent the CPU from idling, and that is not a useful workaround as it drains the battery and heats up the CPU to a level where the Macbook starts mooing. I'm not sure whether this can be fixed in software.

As we all have the same CPUs, fans and fan controllers in our Macbooks, I wonder how some people claim they do not have these issues. In my opinion, these issues are not related to faulty hardware, but they are design flaws. In this case it would be pointless to ask Apple for an exchange. It's probably a better idea to return it and wait until these issues are fixed (if ever), and then buy a new one.

I'm not saying everyone who claims to own a quiet Macbook is a liar or a Mac lover unwilling to admit it, but can you people please check again? You must be in a very quiet place and you must have good hearing. I guess many people whithout the whine simply don't hear it as the ear's ability to hear high frequencies degrades with age.

Make sure you check for the whine when on battery, when charging and when fully charged and connected to AC. If you are lucky your hearing is bad enough that you only hear it when you put your ear on the keyboard or the AC adaptor ;-)

To check for the moo: open photobooth and wait until your CPU temp reaches about 65 degrees. Does your fan start spinning up and down? If not what else happens?

After all I really like this machine and it's a shame that these two issues make it almost unusable...

Thanks for your participation!

Christoph

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
nermal0 said:
My Macbook whines and moos, and I wonder what's the best thing to do now. After reading many posts here and observing it myself, this is how I understand it:

Mine doesn't whine and moo.

What happened here is that some idiot heard the fan spinning, thought something evil is going on, and cried foul. This is then posted and posted again, more and more idiots jump on the bandwagon, some apparently return perfectly good Macbooks back to the shops, and all because someone somewhere has an unhealthy fascination with cows.

My MacBook doesn't moo. Sometimes the fan starts running, and sometimes it stops running, and if I hold my ear straight on the keyboard, I can hear some noise. Someone sitting a meter away doesn't hear it. And it is a fan spinning, not a cow. No moo in sight. And no moo inside either.

If I do something that makes both CPUs run at hundred percent, and I do that for a while, then eventually the fans go at full speed. And you can hear that. If you hold your MacBook in a certain position and close the lid to 45 degree angle, then the sound of the fans is reflected straight towards your ears and it is _very_ loud, but that is not how anyone would use their MacBook.

nermal0

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 31, 2006
Germany
gnasher729 said:
What happened here is that some idiot heard the fan spinning, thought something evil is going on, and cried foul. This is then posted and posted again, more and more idiots jump on the bandwagon, some apparently return perfectly good Macbooks back to the shops, and all because someone somewhere has an unhealthy fascination with cows.
It's not fair to call people who have those issues idiots, just because you don't have them. I really don't have a problem with a spinning fan, and when I put it under load and it gets really loud thats perfectly okay and normal for any recent laptop. But the fact that the fan is spinning up and down all the time, every few seconds, that is definately not normal and would drive anyone crazy.

So you guys can't hear the whine, right? May I ask how old you are? I'm 26 and according to my doctor my hearing is 100%. And I can hear it whining...

nermal0

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 31, 2006
Germany
nospleen said:
Mine whines when connected to the ac adaptor...

Go to this page and downloand mbp quiet, that will take care of that issue.

http://www.red-sweater.com/blog/107/macbook-pro-noise-update

Mine moos every once in a while when it is hot, but it is no big deal.

As I said before: MBP quiet creates CPU load, which drains the battery and starts the moo. So this is not a solution, not even a workaround for me. Sorry I guess I'm spoiled by my Thinkpad...

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
There's no such thing as a completely silent computer. I'm typing this in on my old 12" PB and it makes at least as much noise as my MBP - the fans are spinning, and the HDD makes noises when it's accessed (it's also very hot underneath ;) ). I have heard occasional noises from my MBP but nothing that is enough to distract me from my work. Maybe people are blowing things out of proportion?

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
Phil A. said:
There's no such thing as a completely silent computer. I'm typing this in on my old 12" PB and it makes at least as much noise as my MBP - the fans are spinning, and the HDD makes noises when it's accessed (it's also very hot underneath ;) ). I have heard occasional noises from my MBP but nothing that is enough to distract me from my work. Maybe people are blowing things out of proportion?

If the room is not dead silent, and I do mean absolutely silent, there is no way that you will hear my MacBook. In fact, when you put your ear up to it in a silent room when the fan is on, you can barely hear anything at all. FWIW, I have very sensitive ears.

brbubba

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2006
netdog said:
If the room is not dead silent, and I do mean absolutely silent, there is no way that you will hear my MacBook. In fact, when you put your ear up to it in a silent room when the fan is on, you can barely hear anything at all. FWIW, I have very sensitive ears.

With a fairly loud desktop PC I am used to fans, its the cyclic moo that gets me. If the dang fan just came on and stayed on I wouldn't mind. No mooing at all today though! Hope this is a permanent development.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Mine is Silent and doesnt moo.. EVER..

Only time I can hear anything if if I'm rendering or reading from a CD/DVD

But then it only sounds like its reading a cd/dvd or slighlty louder fan, still no mooing or whining.

nermal0

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 31, 2006
Germany
Phil A. said:

Well there is probably no completely silent Mac ;) I own a IBM Thinkpad X31 with Pentium-M 1.4 GHz. The only noise I can hear during regular work is a very very quiet harddrive sound. It's a 4200rpm drive. As long as I don't recompile my kernel, the fan stays off. On the Macbook, simple things like web browsing or using the camera turn on the fan.

But as I said, constant, low frequency noise isn't really bothering me. Constant whining and fan spinup/spindown is.

LifeCoach

macrumors member
May 19, 2006
After a day or so of using my macbook i've noticed a slight "moo" but even in a silent room its just very very VERY slightly audible and no more, doesnt bother me in the slightest, When the fans do come on full they still sound pretty quiet to me. In regards to the whine i just noticed it just now but again it isnt very noticable unless i plan to use the computer with my head resting against the left side of the macbook:p . The whine goes away as soon as I take the adapter out.

I'll be doing a lot of audio work with this once i upgrade the RAM so here's hoping that the whine doesnt make its way onto my recordings (which i dont think it will)

My core duo sticks around the low 60's most of the time when i'm just browsing the web. The fans come on fully at around 80 or so degrees.

westwood

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2006
nothing on mine

absolutely no whine or moo since ive had my MB (a little more than a week now). Granted, i havent really pushed it too much to really get the CPU too hot, so it usually idles around the mid 60s. But even the few times i did do CPU intensive things, i didnt hear anything out of it.

Coheebuzz

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2005
Nicosia, Cyprus
Some people don't hear the whine cause their hearing is limited. My parents cannot hear the whine while me, my gf and sister can easily distinguish it from other ambient sounds. We also have a TV at home that whines exactly like the MBP but much much louder, but again my parents and every other person older than 40 can't hear anything while it drives everyone else in the house crazy. I guess the high frequency sound range is the first to suffer.

Also every single MB/MBP i've seen so far has the whining which also adds to the case that most if not all intel laptops have this problem but some people just can't hear it to complain.

About the mooing, never heard of it. (no the above case doesn't apply to me :D ) Yes, the fans are very audible when they go in full spin but not louder than any laptop out there and its a regular fan sound, not any moos or ooos.

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
nermal0 said:
So you guys can't hear the whine, right? May I ask how old you are? I'm 26 and according to my doctor my hearing is 100%. And I can hear it whining...
No I can't hear your MacBook whining from here.

My wife's MB doesn't whine either, and my hearing's fine. I can hear my Dell D810 whining.

conditionals

macrumors regular
May 5, 2005
Australia
The OP's post is the best and most sensible thing to have ever been written at Macrumors.

My powerbook G4 used to whine (at the top left near the power cord) when I accidentally set it to "High" processor performace in the energy settings. I think it's clear that it IS a design fault with the MB/MBPs. I actually think that people with a lower sensitivity to low/high frequency noises may be the reason some aren't hearing it.

Personally I can tell when a CRT tv has been turned on next door. It drives me CRAZY.

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Saying that because some of us don't hear a whine, and some do, all MB/MBPs whine and we are deaf, is as stupid as saying that because we don't hear a whine on our MB/MBPs, it's not a problem anywhere.

Some whine, most don't. Some moo, most don't. Some are hot, most aren't.

I can hear my Dell whine, but not the MB. I could also hear the last PC laptop I had, an IBM Thinkpad T41p. So there's nothing wrong with my ears.

Coheebuzz

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2005
Nicosia, Cyprus
plinden said:
Saying that because some of us don't hear a whine, and some do, all MB/MBPs whine and we are deaf, is as stupid as saying that because we don't hear a whine on our MB/MBPs, it's not a problem anywhere.

As i said i can hear it and my dad doesn't. So if he got my MBP he wouldn't complain right? Thus a whining MBP with someone who can't hear it, is the same thing as a non-whining MBP with someone with perfect hearing. Both users happy! Right? :)

LifeCoach

macrumors member
May 19, 2006
I'm 20 and my hearing is great and well if my macbook is the same as others who have the moo and whine then I cant believe how many people are taking it back because of this....i can only assume mines isnt very bad compared to some peoples or at least i hope that's it.

mulletman13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2004
Los Angeles.
I kindof hope mine makes a 'moo' ing sound. Cows are some of the most pleasant/gentle creatures out there, and whenever I hear cows moo, it just makes me laugh.

If it made an oinking noise however, then I'd have to take it back ;)

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
nermal0 said:
It's not fair to call people who have those issues idiots, just because you don't have them. I really don't have a problem with a spinning fan, and when I put it under load and it gets really loud thats perfectly okay and normal for any recent laptop. But the fact that the fan is spinning up and down all the time, every few seconds, that is definately not normal and would drive anyone crazy.

Don't patronize us. I'm 21, and my hearing is perfect. I've never once heard a whine or a "moo" from my MacBook, and while perhaps some people have legitimate concerns, those concerns should have nothing to do with a whine from their computer. It's perfectly normal for a computer to whine a little, especially under high stress, and fans do spin. Now, if it's erratic behavior, perhaps you could wonder about the thermostat or something, but c'mon. Complaining about a little bit of noise? The noise itself is not a problem, and I'm personally sick of those who think it is.

jW

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
Coheebuzz said:
As i said i can hear it and my dad doesn't. So if he got my MBP he wouldn't complain right? Thus a whining MBP with someone who can't hear it, is the same thing as a non-whining MBP with someone with perfect hearing. Both users happy! Right? :)
I know that I probably would not be able to hear the whine if I did have a MB/MBP that had it. I had a CRT tv that drive my wife and son nuts when it was on, and I coudn't hear a thing (whine, that is). So yes, I think you have something there; somebody like me would probably be happy regardless of the presence or absense of the whine, which would make it difficult to get an accurate assesment of the percentage of MB/MBPs out there that exhibit the whine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.