Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jeni

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 1, 2006
:confused: Hi. I've had my Bose Sound Dock for about a year now, and its worked perfectly up until now. Now when I try to play a tune from my IPod, it plays for about 2 seconds then goes off for about 5 seconds, then plays for 1-2 seconds again, then off for 5 second before playing for a second or 2 again and so on. You'll have to excuse me, I know nothing about speakers but am so upset my lovely Bose sound dock doesnt work any more for no apparent reason? It was expensive & i had been told BOSE are a great brand! It has not been moved, or dropped or interfered with in any way - I dont understand? I have checked my IPod and it appears to be working fine with earplugs or through my other speakers etc, so i dont think its a problem with my IPod. I have also checked the connection between the Dock and the IPod and it also appears fine. I did notice an intermittant crackle or hiss off my sound dock when plugged in but without the ipod docked in it? Like the end of an old record stuck on a loop on a record player?
Has this happened to anyone? Can anyone help, am i missing something obvious or are my speakers gone to speaker heaven!!? PLEASE HELP!

BBHewee

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2007
Newbie here. Hi to all.
I'm experiencing a slightly annoying problem with my Sounddock. I bought one last month and didn't open it for a couple of weeks as I was moving houses.
When I finally did, I plugged in my 60gb video iPod only to notice a high-frequency hiss appears after about 30 mins of use. Now if I remove my iPod, it disappears, but reappears as soon as I plug it back in.
If I unplug the Sounddock for about 10 mins, then it takes about 30 mins of use again for the hiss to appear. I have the same problem whether I dock in my video or my nano. I've used my video at a friend's who also has a Sounddock, and the hiss did not seem to appear there.
Now it could be a faulty unit, which is why I had the Sounddock exchanged last week, but the hiss is back. The Sounddock is placed away from other electronic appliances.
Help, this is actually driving me nuts!
Many thanks.

BBHewee

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2007
Had the Sounddock exchanged for a third time, took it to my office to test it out, and I've realized there that the hiss actually comes from the power transformer! This could be caused by a power surcharge... Any other suggestions?

hamsterhavoc

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2007
Speakers that won't play: Completely Useless.

I'm also having problems with the sound dock and would appreciate any help. I quite literally just bought it two days ago. It worked like a dream for a day and now all of a sudden it's not playing a thing.

The ipod is plugged in. I don't believe it's a problem with the ipod as I tried both my nano and my 15gig and neither one is working. The ipod appears to be playing (ie - the tracks progress and the timer shows the song is going- just no sound) and it appears to be connected/docked properly as it charges just fine. However, no sound.

The remote also seems to not do anything anymore. I was thinking perhaps I killed the battery (in a day? is this possible? granted I flick through music a lot, but still... that's a shoddy battery life if that's the case) but shouldn't the dock play music regardless of whether or not it is controlled by the remote or the ipod controls?

Anyone else have similar problem? I'm not sure what else to do as there isn't a heck of a lot of options with this thing...

BBHewee

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2007
Have you called the Bose customer service.

To follow up on my previous post, I called the customer service, and explained my problem. They sent me a new power brick via UPS, which is different in format (longer than the one that came in the box)... So far so good, the hiss has disappeared. I've only had it plugged in for about 45 mins now, but in relation to past experience, that's already a huge improvement. I'm just hoping that it will stay that way now.

A friend of mine bought a Sounddock at about the same time as I did, and he seems to have the same problem, although he doesn't seem to be quite as sensitive to it as I am.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.