Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arcobb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Colorado
I was going to order the black MacBook today (yes, I like the looks of the black one to fork over an extra $150). I even have gone so far to order ram from a third party vendor. My sister just ordered a MacBook that is due to arrive this week.

I went to the local apple store today to see the computer in person. After looking at the glossy screen I'm canceling my order and I just got off the phone telling my sister to do the same. The screen is bad. Well ok, the color and brightness is on par with the best I've seen. But you also see reflections everywhere. I do not want to be looking at a photograph and be able to make out my own photo in the screen. And forget if two people want to look at the screen. You find yourself constantly repositioning the computer and moving your head to find the angle with the least glare. I understand with the “right” lighting conditions the screen is great… but I also plan to use my computer in real life situations.

I would buy this computer in a heartbeat if the there was an option to get a "matte" screen. Please Apple help… I want to love the MacBook… I want to give you $1500, But I can’t bring myself to buy a $1500 mirror!

technicolor

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2005
><><><><
I agree. I am not in the market for one, but after playing with it today at the Apple store, glossy is not the way to go. The screen was catching so many reflections and glares, I found myself having to reposition it numerous times to see everything on the screen.

AlexSpark

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2004
Emeryville, CA
hmm.. the glossy screen is one of my fav features of the MacBook .. and im the owner of a PowerMac G5/Cinema Display combo too!

Does your sister always do what you tell her? poor, poor gal!

jaxstate

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2006
I was told before I ordered my MBP glossy screen that if I was into heavy photography, don't get the glossy screen, because the colors are not a trur representation.

Sutekidane

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2005
If you can't live with it, then it looks like you'll have to shell out for a macbook pro, or some other non-mac notebook.

Moe

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2003
It's bad enough to keep me from buying a MacBook now, and I was really looking forward to doing so.

dylan

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2005
I really like the glossy screen. I can't see how the colours would not be true... Especially of you calibrate it. That just seems like a very uneducated statement. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong...

When I'm at home sometimes I even position a light so i get a little bit of reflection I think it looks good. Also remember the laptop will likely spend most of it's time in more subdued lighting where it is not noticeable at all..

celebrian23

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2006
Under the sun
These threads are getting a little irritating. If you don't like it...don't buy it. If you like it...buy it. If you can tolerate it...buy it. It's not necesary to announce to the entire internet what your feelings are that have been aired 2.79 million times already. :p :p :p :p

h0e0h

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2004
West Monroe, Louisiana
you have to remember, stores use industrial lighting... its the same way with some of the TVs that I sell, the older RP-CRTs had "glossy" screens that looked REALLY bad in the store, but my dad bought one before i started working there, and in the house it looks GREAT. At the store we still have the TV he bought, and it looks terrible in the industrially lit store, maybe the same way with the MBs in store. Either way... good luck to you.

Moe

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2003
celebrian23 said:
These threads are getting a little irritating. If you don't like it...don't buy it.

If you don't like 'em, don't read 'em.

beatle888

macrumors 68000
Feb 3, 2002
jaxstate said:
I was told before I ordered my MBP glossy screen that if I was into heavy photography, don't get the glossy screen, because the colors are not a trur representation.

your source doesnt know what there talking about. there isnt a monitor out there that is a true representation. every monitor and every output device are unique and require calibration for best results.

and to address the lcd of a lap top specifically, why would you count on a lap top lcd for color accuracy in the first place.

good luck.

vakej

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2006
I went to the local apple store today to see the computer in person.

There have been many threads posted regarding the glossy screen, and it's a good 50/50 split (love it or hate it). I made it a point to check out it out at the nearby apple store (and the heat issue). I played around with it for 20 minutes, and thought the screen looked great! It wasn't an issue for me. My current laptop has a matte finish, but wish it had a glossy finish :eek: seriously...

Mention to your sister to test it out in person. It's a personal preference thing... :cool:

beatle888

macrumors 68000
Feb 3, 2002
EricNau said:
Those who expect (or want) to find flaws in a product, will.

or, those who really want a product yet wont buy it cause there is just that one thing that bothers them. its his decisions.

marchcapital

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2006
Canada
arcobb said:
I would buy this computer in a heartbeat if the there was an option to get a "matte" screen. Please Apple help… I want to love the MacBook… I want to give you $1500, But I can’t bring myself to buy a $1500 mirror!

I agree 100%

Josias

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2006
If you wanna use it in real-life situations, get a glossy screen. The store is not a real-life situation. It is illuminated everywhere. I am currently sitting outsidein the sun, with brightness at three bars. No reflection. Wen I go down to 1 bar, I can see a very, very slight reflection. The glossy screen is better. If you absolutely don't want a glossy screen, many MacCenters can order a MB for you with a matte screen. This is a great opportunity for 1500 bucks, and I think you should go for it.

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
Folks, before you listen to these complainers, sit in front of a MacBook, turned on and bright, at an angle that mimics the angle you will use to work...i.e. the screen right in front of you, not off at some odd angle.

When using the MacBook, you don't see any reflections. Sometimes I think these posts just come from Microsoft employees to try to stem the rising Apple tide. The screens are great. No reflections when you work.

Kardashian

macrumors 68020
Sep 4, 2005
Britain.
Lets be honest, the MacBook isn't meant to be some Pro Line of computers - the iBook never was, it was always the cheaper, student alternative. It isn't aimed at young photographers, or people wishing to delve deeply into editing and working with visual media (Where they would encorporate a matte screen most likely, so Professionals could work, undistracted by glare). Its a cheap all-rounder, and I think for the price, it serves itself well. Anyone serious with their Photo or Video work, who wishes to use a MacBook certainly wouldn't be doing it outside anyway!

I'm getting into Photoshop work in a big way, and its what I intend to do in Uni. For my last year of 6th form (Sept coming), I'm buying a MacBook - I don't see any problem. I don't have row upon row of bright lights running along the ceiling of my home, I have a light on the ceiling, and some nice lamps - nothing to cause a bloody glare!

Apple have done what they think is best, and added a glossy screen.

I for one, like it - its sharper, brighter and a nicer overall look. I agree, in a shop, the screens do look hellish. This could be because of the fluorescent lighting, or as in our case in our nearest Apple Store - the whole front of the shop is glass, letting in a LOT of light. Of course, their not ideal conditions for a screen to be used in. They light up like Barneys at Christmas.

I understand people are going to want to use this computer outside, and I also agree Apple should make this screen a BTO opt. like on the MacBook Pro.

But for the love of God guys. Thats the way Apple made it. It has intergrated graphics, and a glossy screen. If you wanna winge, and want total customisation, stump up the readies and get a MB Pro.

Thank you, and good day

(A pissed off MR Member :( )

PS: The phantom 'glare' is only REALLY bad on a black background in-store, a full colour window, such as a webpage IN-STORE is FINE.. in a NORMAL environment (This means somewhere where your not covered by hundreds of lights) - its perfect, there is no glare! If you find the ''glare'', you will! Use it for what it is and enjoy!

semaja2

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2005
Adelaide
I also really hate the gossy screens i dont care if apple made a special one all the ones i have ever seen have been so dirty and easy to pick up the finger marks and well dont get me started on the reflections.

I guess ill just have to save up for a MBP or just hope apple learns and says fine we will add a matte screen option for users.

I dont care if the quality is better its the fact i can look at my screen at any time and not get a single reflection nor can i see any finger marks

Kardashian

macrumors 68020
Sep 4, 2005
Britain.
semaja2 said:
I also really hate the gossy screens i dont care if apple made a special one all the ones i have ever seen have been so dirty and easy to pick up the finger marks and well dont get me started on the reflections.

I guess ill just have to save up for a MBP or just hope apple learns and says fine we will add a matte screen option for users.

I dont care if the quality is better its the fact i can look at my screen at any time and not get a single reflection nor can i see any finger marks

Its not exactly adviseable to put finger marks all over glossy displays, or any type of LCD actually. You can reposition the monitor by putting your hand on the frame, it has a hinge.

Try buying a MacBook before going for a MBP. Save yourself some cash - you can always return it.

Try it out of the store, in your own environment at home, in 'normal' lighting, not fluorescent tubing running along your head!

They really aren't that bad. And lets be honest, you can't buy any type of screen and use it in sunlight, or direct light. Mobile phones, iPod, iBook, MacBook.. none of them work well in direct light.

I suggest half of you go back to pen, paper and colouring pencils to do your work until you can grasp this idea.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
i'm typeing this outside on a macbook screen and it's perfectly fine, the only thing that does bug me is the way the screen smudges with finger printer so easy, every time someone points towards the screen i have to yell at them, and when a spec of something touches it i have to blow it off.

semaja2

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2005
Adelaide
Hector said:
i'm typeing this outside on a macbook screen and it's perfectly fine, the only thing that does bug me is the way the screen smudges with finger printer so easy, every time someone points towards the screen i have to yell at them, and when a spec of something touches it i have to blow it off.

Finally someone agrees with me on the finger print issue, i mean i use my laptop at school its gets dirty very very easy.

Also i use my laptop in fluorescent tubing, and with the sun right behind my back.

If someone can get me strong evidence that apple has made changes to the glossy screen that makes it better then all the ones ive seen on dells/hp/etc

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.