Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacRumors News Discussion (archive)

Old Jun 4, 2006, 06:49 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Beginning Back-To-School Promotion Monday?

http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif

MacRumors has received word that Apple will be starting its Back-To-School promotion early this year. The promotion, which usually begins early-July, is rumored to offer a $179.00 rebate when students or teachers purchase a qualifying Mac and iPod. This would allow educational buyers to get a 2 GB Nano for free using educational pricing, or apply the discount on higher-priced iPods.

This information roughly parallels a recent ThinkSecret report also claiming that the promotion will begin on Monday. ThinkSecret, however, believes that the rebate will be $150.

Update: As rumored, Apple has announced its Back-To-School promotion. Qualified education individuals who buy a MacBook, MacBook Pro, iMac, or Power Mac G5 and an iPod will get up to $179 back after rebate. More details are available at Apple's site.

Last edited by longofest; Jun 5, 2006 at 07:33 AM.
MacRumors is offline   0
Old Jun 4, 2006, 06:50 PM   #2
Eidorian
macrumors Penryn

Send a message via AIM to Eidorian
Grr...I wanted a hardware only one and not a iPod bundled one. Oh well, I do kinda need both.
Old Jun 4, 2006, 07:09 PM   #3
johnbro23
macrumors 6502a

If I just bought my Mac a few weeks ago...

If I just bought my MacBook Pro a few weeks ago, can I go to the Apple store and complain and get either $150 credit or a free Nano?
johnbro23 is offline   0
Old Jun 4, 2006, 07:12 PM   #4
epicwelshman
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to epicwelshman Send a message via MSN to epicwelshman Send a message via Skype™ to epicwelshman
I don't need a Nano, but if it was free... then, well, why not? It's pretty much guaranteed that the MacBook is one of the approved computers, right?
epicwelshman is offline   0
Old Jun 4, 2006, 07:12 PM   #5
Willis
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbro23
If I just bought my MacBook Pro a few weeks ago, can I go to the Apple store and complain and get either $150 credit or a free Nano?
i wouldnt of thought so. You can always try i guess. I think there is a x day period where you can send your Mac back? or get whatever has come out, but i thought that was hardware/software related only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicwelshman
I don't need a Nano, but if it was free... then, well, why not? It's pretty much guaranteed that the MacBook is one of the approved computers, right?
get the Nano, sell on ebay

Last edited by longofest; Jun 4, 2006 at 07:20 PM. Reason: post merge
Willis is offline   0
Old Jun 4, 2006, 07:21 PM   #6
QCassidy352
macrumors G3

d'oh, just bought a macbook and missed this one. Oh well; my ibook's HD died 2 days ago, and if I'd waited for this, I would have lost all my data. So it's better this way.
Old Jun 4, 2006, 07:22 PM   #7
killuminati
macrumors 68020

Does this work in Canada?
Old Jun 4, 2006, 07:26 PM   #8
rimrocka07011
macrumors member

Send a message via ICQ to rimrocka07011 Send a message via AIM to rimrocka07011 Send a message via MSN to rimrocka07011 Send a message via Yahoo to rimrocka07011
I'm not in the market for a new computer (unless Merom is introduced in a carbon fiber MBP and compels me enough to sell my current MBP on eBay ), but I wonder if Apple will come out with the long awaited "True Video iPod" during this promotion, or wait until October when the promotion is offer and introduce it. I'd like to buy my first iPod this summer, but I'm waiting for one with a touchscreen and a larger HD.
rimrocka07011 is offline   0
Old Jun 4, 2006, 07:26 PM   #9
Chaszmyr
macrumors 601

Quote:
I wouldn't be so sure. I think at times Apple doesnt offer specials on new computers, but surely Apple realizes that the MacBook is the best computer for "back to school" and would like to encourage sales of it as much as possible.
Chaszmyr is offline   0
Old Jun 4, 2006, 07:38 PM   #10
Collin973
macrumors 6502

Yes!! I like this. I hope the rebate lasts a while or I can save it or something because I'm going to buy an MBP around August or September...

Go Apple. You rock...
Collin973 is offline   0
Old Jun 4, 2006, 07:48 PM   #11
EricNau

It's good that Apple is doing this again. It's great encouragement to any students in the market for a laptop. Who can resist a free iPod?
EricNau is offline   0
Old Jun 4, 2006, 07:52 PM   #12
codo
macrumors 6502

In the past has this sort of offer been USA only or spread out to international student stores in the UK etc? If they do it in the UK, then I’ll just bite the bullet and get a MacBook instead of waiting for this 64-bit crap I'm fed up hearing about.
codo is offline   0
Old Jun 4, 2006, 07:57 PM   #13
WildCowboy
Administrator/Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by codo
In the past has this offer been USA only or spread out to international student stores in the UK etc? If they do it in the UK, then I’ll just bite the bullet and get a MacBook instead of waiting for this 64-bit crap I'm fed up hearing about.
Last year's Student Union promo was also valid in Canada, and I believe there was a similar (though not identical) promo in the UK that started in early August. I believe Australia also has a promo like this that is timed for their educational buying season.
Old Jun 4, 2006, 08:02 PM   #14
codo
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCowboy
Last year's Student Union promo was also valid in Canada, and I believe there was a similar (though not identical) promo in the UK that started in early August. I believe Australia also has a promo like this that is timed for their educational buying season.
Fab, thanks for that. I'll wait and see.
codo is offline   0
Old Jun 4, 2006, 08:04 PM   #15
swingerofbirch
macrumors 68030

Didn't last year's push the iPod mini which was shortly replaced thereafter by the Nano?
swingerofbirch is offline   0
Old Jun 4, 2006, 08:04 PM   #16
joemama
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimrocka07011
I'm not in the market for a new computer (unless Merom is introduced in a carbon fiber MBP and compels me enough to sell my current MBP on eBay ), but I wonder if Apple will come out with the long awaited "True Video iPod" during this promotion, or wait until October when the promotion is offer and introduce it. I'd like to buy my first iPod this summer, but I'm waiting for one with a touchscreen and a larger HD.
Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Apple do this last year with the iPod Minis to clear out inventory and then the Nano came along shortly thereafter?

I mean, it's still a great deal for anyone looking to buy a new mac, but it could shed some light on things to come....
joemama is offline   0
Old Jun 4, 2006, 08:07 PM   #17
Di9it8
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by codo
In the past has this sort of offer been USA only or spread out to international student stores in the UK etc? If they do it in the UK, then I’ll just bite the bullet and get a MacBook instead of waiting for this 64-bit crap I'm fed up hearing about.
It was done last year in the UK. Since in the UK many students are not being assessed and not being awarded degrees maybe Apple can alter their marketing strategy
Di9it8 is offline   0
Old Jun 4, 2006, 08:13 PM   #18
Leoff
macrumors regular

Quote:
So don't get the Nano. Use the rebate-certificate for a Video iPod.
Old Jun 4, 2006, 08:25 PM   #19
Compatiblepoker
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoff
So don't get the Nano. Use the rebate-certificate for a Video iPod.
Better yet give it to a family member. Someone is always in need of a gift.
Old Jun 4, 2006, 08:25 PM   #20
mduser63
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to mduser63
I'm planning to buy an iMac within the next week or two. It's actually slightly cheaper to buy it tax-free on Amazon with the $100 rebate than to get it at the edu price from Apple. If they're doing this promotion though, I'll get it from Apple. I may sell the nano though, as I've already got a shuffle and two full-size iPods. I guess we'll find out tomorrow .
mduser63 is offline   0
Old Jun 4, 2006, 08:31 PM   #21
ipacmm
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to ipacmm
Nice to see this promo come back, I might take advantage of this in a few weeks..I want to wait until after WWDC to see what comes out.
Old Jun 4, 2006, 08:31 PM   #22
mortey
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to mortey
Now I'm pumped.
mortey is offline   0
Old Jun 4, 2006, 08:47 PM   #23
NewSc2
macrumors 65816

does anybody know if this stacks with the student developer discount? looking to buy a MBP using the dev discount, and a free ipod would be nice =)
NewSc2 is offline   0
Old Jun 4, 2006, 08:48 PM   #24
rimrocka07011
macrumors member

Send a message via ICQ to rimrocka07011 Send a message via AIM to rimrocka07011 Send a message via MSN to rimrocka07011 Send a message via Yahoo to rimrocka07011
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemama
Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Apple do this last year with the iPod Minis to clear out inventory and then the Nano came along shortly thereafter?

I mean, it's still a great deal for anyone looking to buy a new mac, but it could shed some light on things to come....
Yea, Apple did this last year. Hopefully they won't do it again with their next-gen iPods...
rimrocka07011 is offline   0
Old Jun 4, 2006, 08:57 PM   #25
Abstract
macrumors Penryn

Just curious, but in Australia, Apple resellers aren't allowed to sell things at an educational discount anymore. To get the discount, you need to buy from Apple's Website directly. Anyone else have this happen to them as well?

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacRumors News Discussion (archive)