Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
so in general, i use snapfish for prints from my digital uploads. i've been happy with them, and have gotten 8x10s that are good from them.

the question is, where can/should i go to get prints made that are larger? let's say 11x14, or what about even bigger? obviously a combination of reasonable price and good quality are key here.

thanks for any ideas.

edit- i've just seen snapfish does larger sizes, in a section called "poster prints"... might give that a shot. but if anyone else has recommendations, can't hurt to get them....

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
I was using mpix.com for a while... apparently an offshoot of a professional-only lab, and they do really high quality prints. They can go pretty large, up 36" as the shortest side i think? Anyway, check them out, they've got reasonable prices and amazing quality.

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
mpix looks pretty good, and is only marginally more $ than snapfish. it'd be cool to do a side by side test, but i don't have $ to throw away on that. hah.

they also have some fancier options (canvas, heavy weighted paper, etc), so that's always good to know. thanks for the reference

AvSRoCkCO1067

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2005
CO
jelloshotsrule said:
mpix looks pretty good, and is only marginally more $ than snapfish. it'd be cool to do a side by side test, but i don't have $ to throw away on that. hah.

they also have some fancier options (canvas, heavy weighted paper, etc), so that's always good to know. thanks for the reference

Yup, i use Snapfish for all printing above an 8 x 10 (anything less than that, and I just use iPhoto's online printing...)

Snapfish does have great prices, but everytime I order from them my photos come bent...unless, of course, I purchase larger than an 8 x 10, in which they come in a hard, cardboard cylinder package.

Anyway, just click on 'store' and then 'posters', and you'll see Snapfish's options. They're pretty decent (and affordably priced).

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
AvSRoCkCO1067 said:
Yup, i use Snapfish for all printing above an 8 x 10 (anything less than that, and I just use iPhoto's online printing...)

Snapfish does have great prices, but everytime I order from them my photos come bent...unless, of course, I purchase larger than an 8 x 10, in which they come in a hard, cardboard cylinder package.

Anyway, just click on 'store' and then 'posters', and you'll see Snapfish's options. They're pretty decent (and affordably priced).

The packaging from MPIX is superb. Shrink wrapped prints safety taped onto cardboard in a nice sturdy box.

AvSRoCkCO1067

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2005
CO
iGary said:
The packaging from MPIX is superb. Shrink wrapped prints saftey taped onto cardboard in a nice sturdy box.

I appreciate that - I'm a photographer (albeit an amateur one), so I'll have to try it out.

Thanks! :)

supremedesigner

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2005
Why not iPhoto?

If you have the latest version of iPhoto, go to "Print" on bottom of the program and you'll see popup menu with many different sizing, up to 20x30. I hope this help :)

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
supremedesigner said:
Why not iPhoto?

If you have the latest version of iPhoto, go to "Print" on bottom of the program and you'll see popup menu with many different sizing, up to 20x30. I hope this help :)

Who prints for iphoto, you know apple is not a printing company so who do they outsource to?

I use mpix as well.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
supremedesigner said:
Why not iPhoto?

When i finally am able to sit down and work on my photos from China i plan on making a book through iPhoto...
I remember a while ago that their was a "hack" that you can change a setting and increase the quality of the prints anyone know what i'm talking about? :confused:

supremedesigner

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2005
jessica. said:
Who prints for iphoto, you know apple is not a printing company so who do they outsource to?

I use mpix as well.

I don't know but I believe it might be from Apple but I may be wrong. I got my first photobook from apple and it turned out to be real nice. 8x11 with black hardcover and all of my friends were impressed and asked me how I did it ;)

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
jessica. said:

I use mpix as well.

i'll have to check out iphoto for price comparison..

i am pretty sure apple uses a few different companies, as i know that someone on this board works for a print shop that recently landed a deal doing certain portions of apple's iphoto printing.

i know of that hack you are referring to, puckhead. try googling. i forget if it was made obsolete by ilife 06, or not... also, i know aperture doesn't have the same resolution limits as iphoto, though i'm guessing you don't have that.

carletonmusic said:
Are we talking digital here -- or for sending in rolls of film?

digital, sorry for the confusion.

Pistol Pete

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2005
California
jessica. said:

I use mpix as well.

well actually they do.

anyways has anyone ordered/recieved a 20x30 image from iphoto/apple?

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
jelloshotsrule said:
the question is, where can/should i go to get prints made that are larger? let's say 11x14, or what about even bigger? obviously a combination of reasonable price and good quality are key here.

How many larger prints do you need and what will you do with the prints? If you only need a few and they are for display then really, do you care much about the cost? A Good professional lab that is local can do better than any on-line service becasue you can walk in and talk to them about color or bring in an inkjet proof and mrk it up with a felt tip marker. They can also do professional mat cutting. Cutting mat is harder than it looks.

One advantage of using a local is that you can print non-standra aspect rations like 7x5.25 or whatever and they can cut a mat to match.

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
ChrisA said:
How many larger prints do you need and what will you do with the prints? If you only need a few and they are for display then really, do you care much about the cost? A Good professional lab that is local can do better than any on-line service becasue you can walk in and talk to them about color or bring in an inkjet proof and mrk it up with a felt tip marker. They can also do professional mat cutting. Cutting mat is harder than it looks.

One advantage of using a local is that you can print non-standra aspect rations like 7x5.25 or whatever and they can cut a mat to match.

very good points. i certainly would only do a few, and just for my own display in a frame of some sort. in general i'd tend to go for a standard size to allow for cheaper framing/matting options, but i certainly see your point about a local place. what are most places' policies regarding quality assurance and refunds? will they do reprints if you're not 100% satisfied, etc? i guess in a way the local places are almost more likely to do this, though they have less resources to spare. hmm.

thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.