Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
Okay, well, I guess the term "My Apple Shop" can be used loosely, but it certainly feels like mine. I'm the only person that keeps everything neat and keeps the shelfs stocked...(When we have the product to stock the shelf with. I work at the Metairie, LA CompUSA store, and other than the Apple Rep, I'm the on-staff Apple Guy.

Anywho, I'd like to share a bit of my Apple Shop with you are.

Here's the 17" iMac, along with the product in line with it.

imac5ow.jpg

imac32mz.jpg

imac44ix.jpg

The iMac 20" is just around the corner on the endcap.

And here's my Portable Line-Up.

10003683sp.jpg

portablesz6kg.jpg

For those that are curious, the 15" Macbook Pro has an Endcap of it's own

Pictures To Come (If Anyone Happens to Show Interest):

Software Lineup. (I could have sworn I took pictures of this today but I suppose I forgot.)
Apple Accessories
Powermac Lineup
The Amazing Wall of iPod Stuff. (Currently in poor condition. More or less there's just quite a bit of empty spots, and it needs a complete reoganization. I tried to do this today but didn't get much accomplished.)

Suggestions/Comments/Bitchin' Welcome.

thedude110

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2005
Indeed -- a CompUSA that inspires confidence!

I've had nothing but bad experiences with your store. But it looks like you've done a great job setting up your small section of the global Apple village.

Do you have control over ordering? Just curious about the quantity of iPod speakers in the first and third pic -- I can't imagine the HiFi and its brethren are big sellers, but maybe I'm out of touch.

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
thedude110 said:
Indeed -- a CompUSA that inspires confidence!

I've had nothing but bad experiences with your store. But it looks like you've done a great job setting up your small section of the global Apple village.

Do you have control over ordering? Just curious about the quantity of iPod speakers in the first and third pic -- I can't imagine the HiFi and its brethren are big sellers, but maybe I'm out of touch.

Me, personally, I have no influence on ordering other than bringing attention to a lack of a certain product to management so we can get more in possibly...

Other than that, no, I have no control whatsoever on what we get in the store. I only put it where I think it fits in best.

khisayruou

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2004
Thats a really nice setup/display. My compusa is horrible, its the typical, shove the mac stuff into the dark corner of the store and hope no one comes by kind of look. There are only two imacs, a 15" mbp, a brown ibook, and a mac mini without a monitor there...how sad is that!

neoelectronaut: can you get me that macbook pro display! ;)

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
khisayruou said:
Thats a really nice setup/display. My compusa is horrible, its the typical, shove the mac stuff into the dark corner of the store and hope no one comes by kind of look. There are only two imacs, a 15" mbp, a brown ibook, and a mac mini without a monitor there...how sad is that!

neoelectronaut: can you get me that macbook pro display! ;)

Ah! The Mac Mini! That's what I forgot to take a picture of. We have the Core Solo Mac Mini out connected to a white Envision 17" display along with a set of Creature II (White, obviously.)

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
So do you work for Apple or CompUSA? I used to for for Comp, I was the top apple sales guy at our store, Louisville, KY, while I was there. We had one Apple rep, who did a really good job trying to keep things looking good in our store.

The CompUSA job is a fun one to have. There's probably nowhere else you get as many opportunities to switch people.

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
Heb1228 said:
So do you work for Apple or CompUSA? I used to for for Comp, I was the top apple sales guy at our store, Louisville, KY, while I was there. We had one Apple rep, who did a really good job trying to keep things looking good in our store.

The CompUSA job is a fun one to have. There's probably nowhere else you get as many opportunities to switch people.

I work for CompUSA. It'd be awesome to get an extra bonus from Apple for pushing their products so much though.

In my case, the Apple rep at our store handles customer solutions more than product maintenance, so I pick up that slack.

I really do enjoy my job there though. The store is 1/4th the size of your typical Best Buy, and the people I work with are so pleasant, every single one of them. At least once a month, if not twice, almost all the employees go out to see a movie together, last week we had about 30-something CompUSA employees meet to see X3. Very cool stuff.

But I think the best part is the management staff. You can speak to them as if they were on your left, your equal. At no point does it feel like they're above you.

So I'm assuming I should post more pictures once I take them?

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
neoelectronaut said:
I really do enjoy my job there though. The store is 1/4th the size of your typical Best Buy, and the people I work with are so pleasant, every single one of them. At least once a month, if not twice, almost all the employees go out to see a movie together, last week we had about 30-something CompUSA employees meet to see X3. Very cool stuff.

But I think the best part is the management staff. You can speak to them as if they were on your left, your equal. At no point does it feel like they're above you.
I agree, I worked with some really cool people. A lot of people around the forums like to crap on Comp, but some of their stores do a great job with the Apple stuff. I knew nothing about Macs when I went to work there. Our Apple guy did a training session on them and convinced me to buy on in the process. I usually averaged switching a person a day toward the end. People would come in looking for a PC and I'd send them out the door with a Mac. ;)

It was cool to see people go from "I'm just out here cause my computer is running so slow because of spyware that its unusable. Just get me the cheapest thing you've got and let me get out of here." to actually being excited about the new computer they were buying.

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
Heb1228 said:
I usually averaged switching a person a day toward the end. People would come in looking for a PC and I'd send them out the door with a Mac. ;)

It was cool to see people go from "I'm just out here cause my computer is running so slow because of spyware that its unusable. Just get me the cheapest thing you've got and let me get out of here." to actually being excited about the new computer they were buying.

1 Switcher a Day is more or less what I get. 2 or 3 on weekends.

But yeah, I managed to steer one lady today away from a $399 eMachines up to a $1699 iMac on the concepts of no viruses, and the large amount of software you get straight out of the box with a Mac.

iMacFan78

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2006
MS
Wow, that CompUSA store is nice. (I didn't even know that I had one that close to where I live.)

Zman5225

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2005
Tacoma WA
Your pics remind me of how I had my hardware guys do the Mac section my in Compusa. I had them re-lay out some of the floorplan to fit the way I wanted it to look, we moved a lot of the software from the back wall to underneath the macs, we put overstock in the back behind the wall so you didnt see them. This was back in 1999 though. It created a much better illusion. We had two trained hardware guys that knew macs really well so I felt my store was very mac friendly.

Ah, how I miss it.

Josias

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2006
Wow. Extremely neat. It's too sad you have to have the laptops bolted to the table. In my local Apple Store the MacBooks are all on iCurves, and the MacBook Pro's are on the table. They also have a Duo Mini, 17 and 20" iMac plus a 2.3 Dual PowerMac.:D I like your neatness.

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
Josias said:
Wow. Extremely neat. It's too sad you have to have the laptops bolted to the table. In my local Apple Store the MacBooks are all on iCurves, and the MacBook Pro's are on the table. They also have a Duo Mini, 17 and 20" iMac plus a 2.3 Dual PowerMac.:D I like your neatness.

In addition to what you see above, we have a 20" iMac, a Core Solo Mini (Because it was a return--rather than opening a new Duo), and a Dual 2.0, a Dual 2.3, and we used to have a Quad before it was sold.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
Your store looks awesome, unlike the store near me... i'm surprised that place is still in business... the people their are dumb, and butthole

brikeh said:
damnit we need a "compSWEDEN" :(
no you don't......

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
man, i wish you would work here in boston. our compUSA looks like a dump and the apple section is even worse. i would never shop there, everything is dirty and filthy.

i hope they pay you fair for your work!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.